PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a Cat back system

Blackstone
07-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I have decided on a Borla system (the mild touring one) for my 03 Cobra. Where can I purchase it the cheapest. By the way, I am going Borla because they have the best looking tips.

cfradam
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM
thats what I run on my 03.you wont be disappointed

red04svtcobra
07-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Got the Borla stingers and man they sound good!! Won't be disappointed at all.:thumbsup:

avmech
07-29-2008, 03:19 AM
slp loud mouth II sound great. like the finish better then the borla.

ausie
07-29-2008, 06:37 AM
What ever exhaust you decide to get, always go for the 304 Stainless Steel. The higher chromium and nickel content of the 304 will prevent rust. I looked at the Borla web site, and they use the 304 SS. The stingers are similar to the SLP loudmouth exhaust. Both designs use resonators (single chamber pass through mufflers). You could always get the model number from Borla, then do a search on the part number with description to find out who sells it at a lower cost. (Best to check the shipping charges too since many places charge differet rates, the part may be cheaper but the cost of shipping will make it more expensive).

JROC
07-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I have decided on a Borla system (the mild touring one) for my 03 Cobra. Where can I purchase it the cheapest. By the way, I am going Borla because they have the best looking tips.

JEGS!!! <----- Haha, thats like the comercial.

The cheapest price I've seen on Borla Stringers is defenantly from Jegs. $639 is not that bad.

Borla 140052 = Borla Stingers.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/140052/10002/-1/761259%7C10437

Blackstone
07-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I am now rethinking the Borla system and leaning a bit in favor of the Loudmouth II after talking to their rep. I don't know anyone who has either system and have been listening on U Tube. I am 64 and want more rumble but not so I can't carry on a conversation or hear music. All replies are appreciated.

blk04cobra1
07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Ive got the Bassani stainless system...little bit more expensive, but gave me the exact exhaust note I was looking for...not too raspy, but opens up nicely at WOT :thumbsup:

red04svtcobra
07-30-2008, 04:07 PM
I am 64 and want more rumble but not so I can't carry on a conversation or hear music. All replies are appreciated. Better rethink the LOUDMOUTHS then!!! They are loud, very obnoxious, mufflers. If you want the deep rumble that mustangs are known to have stay wilth a chambered muffler such as Bassani, Flowmaster, Mac, and others. If you want a loud raspy sound (nascar comes to mind) get a straight thru design such as SLP and Borla.

spf1410
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I went with the Flowmaster cat backs; great sound but not too loud. Here is a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sww7mNiP608

wvmystichrome
07-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Let us know how you like the Flowmasters. I have them on my 90 GT and they get a little loud inside at cruising on the interstate. Otherwise than that I love them. I have been looking for an exhaust for mine and just could not make up my mind.

spf1410
07-31-2008, 01:01 AM
Mystichrome- I love the Flowmasters! I'm sure there are many good systems available.

My selection was based on the great backpressure sound they offer; it is a healthy "burbling" sound that will give a car guy goose bumps. Heck, my wife even loves the sound!

avmech
07-31-2008, 02:10 AM
I have the slp loud mouth II with the cross over pipe and high flow cats. sounds sweet it will be louder then magna flows but it has a real nice sound not raspy at all. The loud mouth II are quieter then the first gen things get raspy ehn people dont use cats. I have the stock radio and I can here it fine on the high way but then again I like the sound of the car so the radio is not on that often

ausie
08-01-2008, 06:51 AM
I have often thought about going back to stock (sort of, I have both the 2004 and 2001 original cat-backs). Since I have been dating, it is very hard to hold a conversation with someone in the car. I still like the sound and the drone does not bother me. My girlfriend calls it the exhaust from hell. The 01 catback has a lower back pressure than the 04. The last time I swapped the 01 for the SLP I missed the noise. Considering I get better gas mileage with the SLP it will remain on the car.

ausie
08-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Better rethink the LOUDMOUTHS then!!! They are loud, very obnoxious, mufflers. If you want the deep rumble that mustangs are known to have stay wilth a chambered muffler such as Bassani, Flowmaster, Mac, and others. If you want a loud raspy sound (nascar comes to mind) get a straight thru design such as SLP and Borla.
I would agree. At highway speeds and cruising, depending on atmospheric pressures the drone can be annoying and very hard to hold a conversation unless you are yelling.... The resonator type exhaust (SLP loudmouth and Boral Stingers) will be loud no matter what and will make conversation in the car difficult when driving. If you have a convertable even harder yet.

3ponies
08-03-2008, 06:42 PM
I loved the Borlas on my 03 10th anniversary edition. My wife and the kids all thought they were great!