PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fan Install

bat-stang
07-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Anyone who has done this upgrade: can someone post a pic of how the freewheeling diode is installed in the circuit. I'm about to do this and need some insight. Thanks!

Admiral
07-27-2008, 08:28 AM
I've never done it but here's a pretty good install site for it (with pics):

http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

bat-stang
07-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks Admiral! I responded to you on Westsidemustangs! I think it will be a success!

jimmysidecarr
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I've never done it but here's a pretty good install site for it (with pics):

http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks! Saved to cooling tech favorites! :thumbsup:

That is the fan I want to try.

I would be nice to be able to get more than 5 hot laps in before having to use straights as a cooling zone. :rolleyes:

bat-stang
08-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Completed the install with some issues: The fan that I have is the 97 Cougar fan:rolleyes: --two speed, not as much cfm as the Lincoln (but still significant airflow).
I wired it on high speed and soldered the diode in my wiring at the fan connectors. On temperature control the fan is flawless-runs midway on dash gauge. On A/C control, my dash gauge goes all the way to the 'N' in normal :eek: ('Fox mustang' for 'just about overheating')--not to the stop, but hovering there. Now, the new dilemna is this: the car isn't ACTING like its overheating; no preignition, A/C blows cold, no knocking. If I let it idle, the temp will eventually come back to the median and stay till I get to running:doubt: . My first course of action is to replace the temp sender. There is a strong possibility that my sender hasn't ever been changed (when I did my HCI I think I just reused it) so it may be way off. Many foxes with this upgrade stay in the middle to slightly higher on the gauge (factory). Any insight? On a good point, after 45 minutes on the highway at 80 with some stop n go, my battery voltage was a very happy 13.73 volts yesterday evening when I got home. I did the 3G upgrade like last year in anticipation of the electric fan install. Almost there...:thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
08-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Do you also have an aftermarket temp gauge? The factory gauges are not very accurate, more of a wing and a prayer.

Not that there's anything wrong with a prayer(probably wouldn't be here with out those), but I for one am staying away from the wings for a while. :D