PDA

View Full Version : Would you all want to do a "one day" event at TWS next year?

cobrabitn
08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Your thoughts??

Exige
08-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Your thoughts??Im always in for a good track day.. Another consideration would be Grandsport Speedway (http://grandsportspeedway.com/) Its only about 1/3rd the length of TWS, but its still really fun and MUCH cheaper to rent (I believe $3750 for a day). At Grandsport you generally run 8 people per run group so you dont need to get as many people to sign up to have a paid for event.

SuperG
08-21-2008, 08:34 AM
I still think as beat up and as old as it is, TWS is the best track in Texas! Plus, we don't have to rent it at all...If we choose a weekend scheduled for TWS Motorsports Club and tell them we're bringing at least 15 people, we get a discounted price plus many free paddocks. SCMC will not have to spend ANY time in organizing it or running it...TWS does. In fact, they'll have their own instructors, many of whom run with SCMC anyway...

Admiral
08-21-2008, 09:31 AM
To be honest, the one day events are getting more and more popular at my house. TWS Motorsports Club allows me to do one-day instructing gigs and I love the schedule and track time. Leave the house at 6am, home by 6pm usually, still enough time to shower and take the wife out to dinner. Sleep good that night, still have all day Sunday to do things with the family.

Short answer: YES.

97CasperCobra
08-22-2008, 12:48 AM
I'd be up for it Tony, let me know when and i will do my best to make it!!! :thumbsup:

Admiral
08-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Im always in for a good track day.. Another consideration would be Grandsport Speedway (http://grandsportspeedway.com/) Its only about 1/3rd the length of TWS, but its still really fun and MUCH cheaper to rent (I believe $3750 for a day). At Grandsport you generally run 8 people per run group so you dont need to get as many people to sign up to have a paid for event.

Who runs the school down there these days? I haven't been to GSS since the old FordPower.net StangBang event in 2003, I'd like to do a one-day down there sometime soon if possible. :thumbsup:

Exige
08-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Who runs the school down there these days? I haven't been to GSS since the old FordPower.net StangBang event in 2003, I'd like to do a one-day down there sometime soon if possible. :thumbsup:Not sure whos running things down there. Ive run the track twice, once with the Lotus Club and once with the Corvette Club. The track is short (Just over a mile), but it is challenging and quite fun for a 1 day event. My best lap times are in the 54 second range which is actually pretty decent for that track.

FWIW, old track from StangBang was completed removed and a new track design and surfice was layed down. The surfice is really nice and grippy/smooth.

If you ever want to run out there let me know and Ill take a trip out there with you. You can run most weekend in their groove union for $175 (for 1 day). If you want a free day you can instruct in one of the newbie run groups too.

Admiral
08-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I might give it a try, was hoping to "schmooze" the powers-that-be for an instructor gig in exchange for some free track time but can pony up the entry fee if that idea falls through.

On the short radar screen I'm leaning towards the TWS Motorsports Club deal on September 20th, anyone else?

cobrabitn
08-23-2008, 09:15 PM
We have a credit with TWS, it will be an SCMC event. :thumbsup:

Exige
08-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I might give it a try, was hoping to "schmooze" the powers-that-be for an instructor gig in exchange for some free track time but can pony up the entry fee if that idea falls through.

On the short radar screen I'm leaning towards the TWS Motorsports Club deal on September 20th, anyone else?Im running Harris Hill Road on Sep 27-28th and TWS on Oct 4-5th with TDE or I would run with you on the 20th. Im actually picking up a membership and Harris Hill Road, probably the most fun track to drive in Texas.

We have a credit with TWS, it will be an SCMC event. :thumbsup:Assuming the date doesnt conflict with anything else I would be in for a TWS event. I can probably bring a few people along with me if you need help filling the roster.

Twice Bitten
11-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Set it up and people will come! :D

Firme
11-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Set it up and people will come! :D

Ahemm.... someone in this thread still needs to sign up for MSR.. :D

And we just might :)

cobrabitn
11-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Bwaahaa...I think he is giving you a challenge Larry. :rotf:

BTW, I'm expecting to see you in VA next year in May, we drove to TX, you have to drive to VA! :D

Andy M
11-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Depending on when it is, I would be in for it! Maybe I will have my own car by then? ;)

cobrabitn
11-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I will have to get with Rusty but it has to be either a Friday or a Monday, which do you think is better?

Carl G
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Im in for this :thumbsup: Usually Fridays work better on people being able to get off for an event and then still have their weekends. Lets do it!

Firme
11-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm with Carl. Friday would work best.

Tony, give me a call and let me know when you talk to Rusty, we will start setting this up down here.

Twice Bitten
11-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Im in for this :thumbsup: Usually Fridays work better on people being able to get off for an event and then still have their weekends. Lets do it!

Some of us do not have the luxury of taking off a day for such things. :(

Andy M
11-02-2008, 09:04 PM
I will have to get with Rusty but it has to be either a Friday or a Monday, which do you think is better? Friday would be a lot better for me personally. Mondays are nearly impossible to get away unless planned WAY in advance.

Exige
11-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Some of us do not have the luxury of taking off a day for such things. :(Just take an 8 hour lunch that day.. :D

Twice Bitten
11-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Just take an 8 hour lunch that day.. :D

I'm lucky to get 8 minutes for lunch!

Levi
11-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Depending on when it is, I would be in for it! Maybe I will have my own car by then? ;)

Still have track car ready and waiting, how do they say. Rent to purchase or lease to own....... :rotf:

Andy M
11-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Still have track car ready and waiting, how do they say. Rent to purchase or lease to own....... :rotf:

Stan,

As of this afternoon - I've got my own track machine! :bounce:

Larry95
11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Im in for this :thumbsup: Usually Fridays work better on people being able to get off for an event and then still have their weekends. Lets do it!Firday works for me also.
Larry

cobrabitn
11-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Here are our choices for next year at TWS, Friday October 2, 2009 or Friday November 6, 2009. That's right it is MSR weekend as we won't be doing MSR next year. We can also go to November 23, 2009 if we want to go that late.

I'd say the 2nd of October so it wouldn't interfere with the Joe Myer's show.

Go ahead and vote and we'll go by that...

ORANGE CRUSH
11-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I am in for Nov 6th 2009.

Andy M
11-14-2008, 11:08 PM
So, just to make sure I/we understand?... We will not be doing a weekend event at MSR (or any other TX track for that matter) during 2009? And our choices for the Friday only event are Oct 2, Nov 6, or Nov 23?

1st choice - Nov 6
2nd choice - Oct 2

Firme
11-15-2008, 12:15 AM
So, just to make sure I/we understand?... We will not be doing a weekend event at MSR (or any other TX track for that matter) during 2009? And our choices for the Friday only event are Oct 2, Nov 6, or Nov 23?

1st choice - Nov 6
2nd choice - Oct 2

Correct.

Admiral
11-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Did something bad happen at MSRH this year or was attendance that poor?

I'm ok for either date for 2009 btw. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
11-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Poor attendance and almost everyone I spoke to last year said they liked TWS better. We're going to try TWS again with a one day event next year since we have a credit with them. It is up to you guys to make sure this event is successful so we can continue the tradition of having a track event in TX. Our events in TX need 60 paying people so please be mindful of that. You will get to read about the upcoming track event changes for 2009 in the next Snakebite newsletter.

Look guys, it's a matter of economics and we just have to be smarter in the way we do things and try a little harder to make sure the financial part is taken care of. Again, you can read about in the newsletter as I don't think the forums is a place to discuss. If you all want to have a conference call about it, we can do that. too.

I'll tell Rusty to schedule it for November 6 if that is okay with everyone else?

Admiral
11-16-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm not throwing rocks, these things cost money to put on and I'm grateful for the times we can get them done. A one-day with fellow track junkies is fine by me.

Heck, just scheduling a bunch of SVT folks to go do a one-day on Saturday with the existing TWS Motorsports Club is fine by me also, I know they'd love to have a group like this join their existing DE weekend(s). Might be a way to keep the tradition alive without putting the SCMC funds at risk each year? Just thinking out loud.... :)

Twice Bitten
11-16-2008, 08:44 AM
This was a crazy year, to many things going on at once :( . The economy, work, kids and the destruction the hurrican Ike brought to this area all played into what caused the lower than normal attendance this year. We have plenty of things we can discuss at our Tuesday meetings to help improve things turnout wise. :thumbsup:

Exige
11-16-2008, 09:33 AM
This was a crazy year, to many things going on at once :( . The economy, work, kids and the destruction the hurrican Ike brought to this area all played into what caused the lower than normal attendance this year. We have plenty of things we can discuss at our Tuesday meetings to help improve things turnout wise. :thumbsup:Not to mention TWS was having a DE on the same weekend and a lot of people chose that track over MSR Houston.

Andy M
11-16-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm not throwing rocks, these things cost money to put on and I'm grateful for the times we can get them done. A one-day with fellow track junkies is fine by me.

Heck, just scheduling a bunch of SVT folks to go do a one-day on Saturday with the existing TWS Motorsports Club is fine by me also, I know they'd love to have a group like this join their existing DE weekend(s). Might be a way to keep the tradition alive without putting the SCMC funds at risk each year? Just thinking out loud.... :)
Mike,

I think this is a great idea. Let's just figure out which event to go hang out and enjoy some track fun together. This carries a lot less risk to the club for obvious reasons and allows us all to go out and have some fun together. Heck, if we get enough Cobra Club members to register, they may even consider giving us our own run group. Either way, this seems like a great venue.

Just my two cents.

97CasperCobra
11-16-2008, 11:08 PM
This was a crazy year, to many things going on at once :( . The economy, work, saving for "other things" and the destruction the hurrican Ike brought to this area all played into what caused the lower than normal attendance this year. We have plenty of things we can discuss at our Tuesday meetings to help improve things turnout wise. :thumbsup:
Well said.

Admiral
11-17-2008, 04:56 AM
I know the Ford SHO guys did this with TWS MSC a year or so ago. All we have to do is contact Misty Cain who runs the TWS DE weekends and I'm sure she'll work with us to make sure we get paddock spaces together, etc. Not sure if we'd have enough cars for our own run group or if we'd want to do that - typically there are varying degrees of experience/ability in each group of people so we may not want all of the SCMC out on the track at one time?

Just an idea for discussion....

cobrabitn
11-17-2008, 05:58 AM
I will ask Rusty about their dates and see if we can get a date or two set up for us.

Carl G
11-17-2008, 04:40 PM

Well said Mike. Worth looking into...............

cobrabitn
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
You are a great group down in TX. I'm checking into the TWS club dates but it doesn't mean we cannot have our own event, maybe just a one day with us and then a TWS club event on Saturday. That will hopefully help build the Friday so that we can go back to doing a two day event.

I understand about the hurricane but this was more than just that. You guys can go over to the TWS club event and recruit people to come to our event and then we'll go from there! :thumbsup: