PDA

View Full Version : IKE..We're prolly gonna bail....

Topless In Tex
09-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Whose going? The latest modules have it hitting Palacious where my step dad dying from liver cancer has 6.5 acres netting about 6.5K he's trying to SELL. Waterfront at that.. but, it puts us at the BAD side of the eye here in La Porte...
Pauls gonna strap the Baron in the Hangar. He cant get too far from the plant, major turnaround. We have reservations in Spring, the best we could get (he tried for Conroe or the Woodlands) for Friday and Sat. nite but they were BOOKED. We will prolly take my ROUSH and the Jeep. Hes got MAJOR ins. on all 3 corvettes, so they will stay here....

We are RIGHT on the Gulf here in La Porte. We're out of here....

Sherri, are we near you if were at 45 and 1960???
TNT

Admiral
09-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Well, a bit early to tell where Ike will land but 5 of the 8 predictive models have it coming ashore near Brownsville now. i hope everyone stays safe and all Texas gets is some rainfall and mild winds out of this storm. Been a bit too exciting lately on the hurricane front....

97CasperCobra
09-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I'll be holding down the homestead in the Woodlands and have a few friends coming over who live in an apartment if they need to get out of there.

Angel
09-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I'll be holding down the homestead in the Woodlands and have a few friends coming over who live in an apartment if they need to get out of there.
Most of the models are depicting landfall between Brownsville and Corpus Christi. Being that this is the case, and we get the outflow from the dirty side of the stom, we likely may get heavy rain and minor flooding. So, Mike, :eek: we all may still have to pile up at your house based on the fear factor.......... :D

Bartman01
09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
The models were converging on Corpus this morning.
Now they are more to the north w/ 2 of them hitting Houston.

Good site for seeing the actual models in addition to the standardized NOAA tracking data:
http://www.stormpulse.com/

Either way, being north of the Beltway and not in a flood prone area it would be more risky for me to try to leave than to just stay put.

cobrapace94
09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Not going any where here in Humble. Have gas for the generator, all set. :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
09-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Good site for seeing the actual models in addition to the standardized NOAA tracking data:
http://www.stormpulse.com/
another good site is www.wunderground.com :thumbsup:

Admiral
09-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Yikes, what a difference a day makes. I'll go back to sleep and hope that tomorrow the path has shifted back south again lol. Might be a messy weekend!

Bartman01
09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
While we are posting links, the BEST place to go is the offical NOAA site:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

They have an RSS feed that you can subscribe to.

I mentioned the other site since the NOAA does not put the different models on their graphics. The models are only useful from an academic view point since the offical NOAA forecast only uses them as part of their forecast determination.

Watching the weather channel this morning, it is really still pretty dynamic. The final track depends on how fast it moves through the Gulf and how quickly the low pressure trough moves in from the west. The more the storm and the low pressure system interact, the more northerly track it will take.

Twice Bitten
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Time to get the toys, tools and valubles out of Galveston :mad: . Insurance can cover the rest! :thumbsup:

msmap
09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
TNT, yes you are pretty close to me, you've been here before :)

97CasperCobra
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Let's see...we went from this on Sept 9 at 11am:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/173/13143/255189.gif

To this Sept 10 at 2pm:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/173/13143/255190.gif

Topless In Tex
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
MAN, what a mfkr. They are now predicting it between Matagorda, and now Galveston is a really GOOD possiblity. My stepdad went to his trailer down in Galveston, towards San Luis Pass and got all the electronics and tied it to the tree, since its the in the first line by the water, and they have no seawall...

They've asked for vol. evac. in Kemah, Bacliff, El Lago that are just down 146 from me about 15 minutes.

Caitlin's out of school the rest of the week. I am hoping my late appts. cancel tomorrow, otherwise I wont be home till 9pm. I think were gonna bail Friday. Im taking Friday and Saturday off. Paul being a 25 year pilot/CFI has been monitoring the weather conditions, he feels its gonna hit us dead on. They call him 'Mr. Weather'. I trust his judgement, he's waaaay analytical. I-45 was FULL of boats heading north on my way home. I got gas, took me 30 minutes. We're supposed to be feeling 40-60 mph winds here by Friday 2pm.

Everything is insured out the wazoo, so we'll prolly still take my ROUSH and the Jeep and leave the 3 Corvettes. He's gonna tie down the Hangar doors that houses the Baron tomorrow. That Hangar is so old, I bet it dont make it... We'll see!

Sherri, I'll give you a holler if and when we make it to Spring.. I'll try to update ya'll and let you know when we're leaving here.. Theres a new update at 10pm. This is a GREAT tracking site, updates at 10pm....
http://www.bearpawsweather.com/tropical/index.html

TNT

Andy M
09-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Stay safe everyone!! I will be filling up my old gasoline jugs I used to use for track time in the R. I have the generator ready and plenty of food and water. I can run the generator for several days with the gas jugs all full. We are just gonna hunker down and ride it out. We are far enough inland to not worry about a storm surge. I am sure however we will likely lose power and there will be branches and debris all over the place, including inside my pool! :(

Admiral
09-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Jeesh, what a difference a few days makes in the forecast. Now it's coming to town bigtime. :mad:

Generator set all ready, heading out to fill up the racing fuel jugs and grab some extension cords out of the shop. Plenty of bottled water but we may be filling up a bathtub or two for non-drinking use. I remember in Alecia we went about a week without running water and electricity.

Everyone stay safe, get to higher ground if you need to do so, and remember that property can be replaced, people can't!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bartman01
09-11-2008, 10:23 AM
One tip on the water:
For non-potable uses (like flushing toilets) use Vaseline (or something similar) to lubricate the bathtub plug gaskets and fill the tubs up. Then use a bucket to fill the flush tank.

Firme
09-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Stay safe everyone, I will be riding out the hurricane working...

I will be up at work and shut down both our datacenters in case we loose all our connectivity to the outside world. That way the generators can be sparred a day or two if there is no need for them to run..... it will be ALOT of fun :rolleyes:.

Admiral
09-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Time to que up REO Speedwagon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zU6R7IMns

"Ridin the storm out........ridin the storm out......ridin the storm out......."

Man, I miss the 70's lol.

Seriously, everyone stay safe and keep dry! :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
09-12-2008, 09:36 AM
We got the things moved from the Galveston. :thumbsup:

Rachel and I owe Mike (Casper) a really big thanks for helping with the move yesterday, again! Thanks Mike! :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
09-12-2008, 12:43 PM
We got the things moved from the Galveston. :thumbsup:

Rachel and I owe Mike (Casper) a really big thanks for helping with the move yesterday, again!:thumbsup:
Anytime bud....I was just glad to drink your beer...and to help move/drive the Expedition home... :cool: I'm just glad it only took us 2 hours to get home instead of the 6 hours that it took us for Rita.:thumbsup:

Please be safe everyone. Keep in touch and let us know if ANY of you need any help!!!!! :thumbsup:

chiller5ohhh
09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
just wanted to wish good luck to you all and hope ya'll stay safe and dry down there!!

97whitevert
09-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Stay safe guys! I fear for anyone in Galveston that didn't leave....

Please let us know how you all fare.

Remember- 'stuff' can be replaced; YOU can't!

Blownsvtlightning
09-12-2008, 05:52 PM

winds here on the south side are already starting to kick up.. no rain at this point... only 5pm so still a ways off.

Twice Bitten
09-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Pics of the east and west side of the house as of NOON Friday. Already have water in the downstairs storage room.

johnbasf
09-12-2008, 07:04 PM

ditto :thumbsup:

Evilcartman
09-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Uh, Franks, what are you doing there?

Firme
09-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Pics of the east and west side of the house as of NOON Friday. Already have water in the downstairs storage room.

WOW!!! is the bottom picture where we would park our cars in the grass for Tiki island meets?!?! :(

97CasperCobra
09-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Uh, Franks, what are you doing there?
They aren't, Rachel has a HS friend in the Customs & Border patrol who has access to the island.

WOW!!! is the bottom picture where we would park our cars in the grass for Tiki island meets?!?! :(
YES...... :(

cobrabitn
09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Y'all please be careful and get inland!!!

VenomSVT
09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm an ex-Houstonian and I wish y'all well. Hunker down and be safe!

Jesse99
09-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Stay safe everyone.. I'm watching the weather and it looks bad..

93KingCobra
09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Were all good here!!! Hope everyone is good...

cobrapace94
09-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Survived here. Lost power for 18 hours, the generator saved the food. All is well, no major damage, just lots of limbs at the house. Lots of trees down around.
Hope everyone else came out good with no damage.

Mrs TwiceBitten
09-14-2008, 10:40 AM
We survived:thumbsup: , but the breakfast room did not. The back door neighbors 90 foot tall pine tree crashed on to our roof:mad: . Several holes in the roof, roof is destroyed from the impact. Tree is still on roof, may need a crane to remove it to keep from completely destroying the breakfast room. No power for over 24 hours, generators are keeping things fresh. Have portable a/c in master bedroom:D . We could keep meat fresh in there! The bedroom does get a little crowded with 5 of us in there:p !

No word on the bay house. Last we heard is that water could have reached into the 1st floor living area. Sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear how bad it is. We are expecting a lot of damage there just from the pictures we have seen.

On a side note a our house alarm went off at 4am, R and I did an armed sweep of the house with a .357 and .41 Mag!:D Nothing like an adrenalin rush at 4 in the morning. No intruders, just a dying back-up battery for the alarm:rolleyes: .

Evilcartman
09-14-2008, 12:56 PM
No damage to our home, or the new one. No power so we bailed to the inlaws, but at least we just need power to get back up.

On another note, my office, JP Morgan Chase is screwed. We are on the 58th floor, so hopefully it didn't loose as many windows as the lower floors.

Exige
09-14-2008, 02:04 PM
No damage to our home, or the new one. No power so we bailed to the inlaws, but at least we just need power to get back up.

On another note, my office, JP Morgan Chase is screwed. We are on the 58th floor, so hopefully it didn't loose as many windows as the lower floors.You might have power now, we just got our power back about an hour ago. Around noon...

Only damage here was about a 30ft section of fence was blown down.

Andy M
09-15-2008, 02:21 PM
We are ok at our place. We lost power during the height of the storm at about 3am. The power has been out since then, but I have my Honda generator running and it is keeping us going. I had my neighbor's tree which bit the dust and fell into our pool but otherwise no damage to our house. Others in my neighborhood were not so lucky. Lots of tree and roof damage in our subdivision.

Our Cypress house suffered just minor damage. The fence fell down on one side of the house and we lost a few shingles but nothing serious. Ironically, hte power is still on at our Cypress house but we do not have power at our house.

At any rate, we consider ourselves very lucky, considering the devastation to our south. It is certainly heartbreaking to see the images from Galveston and surrounding areas. Please keep those folks in your prayers.

Hope everyone else in the area are ok!!

Jesse99
09-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Gald to hear everyone is safe.. I talked to Hollies dad and he told me he was without power for 2 days and that he's spending most of his time repairing the damage to his place..
Anyway my thoughts are with you all.. Later.. :thumbsup:

gtdrivr
09-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Lost some shingles and 2 trees. No power for about 29 hours. We are far enough NW that we didnt get it bad. We were lucky.

msmap
09-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Yippee, we just got our power back after 4.5 days. Thank goodness for Darrell's generator. No damage, just camping out and cold showers the last 5 days. Cook on the bbq, heat water while eating for dishes and semi warm showers :)

kencobra
09-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Maybe we should have a contest on who is without power the longest. I hope it is a contest that I lose :D

Twice Bitten
09-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Maybe we should have a contest on who is without power the longest. I hope it is a contest that I lose :D

I can guarranty we would win this contest, it will be months before power is restored to Tiki Island! :(

cobrabitn
09-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Rachel, how is your beach home?? Do you know? :doubt:

jimmysidecarr
09-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Tiki doesn't count. :D New rule: must be primary residence. ;)

I hope I lose that contest soon! I did buy a generator today though. I think it has a smaller gas tank than most Mountain Dew bottles. Seriously it can't be much bigger than 1 gallon. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!? It works, power is power. :rolleyes:
POS RAN OUT WHILE I WAS POSTING THIS! I didn't lose my post because I'm using a lap top. :p Only got about three hours on that tank, I'm going to have to stay ahead of it better. It would be nice If I could find a bigger tank for it. I may have to adapt one from another brand of generator.

OUR STATUS:
One broken tree, which didn't hit anything, multiple broken limbs(branches), no house damage, no people damage, two privacy fences blown down, lots of food thrown away.
Gail has been back to work since Tuesday, I go back tomorrow. I'll be trying to help get us partially up and going on multiple generators.

Bartman01
09-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Just got power back last night. Crews worked on the infrastructure all day checking everything out. Good thing it all worked when they pushed the power back through the lines - if it didn't then they said it could be a week or more before techs could diagnose and repair the issues.

Some minor wind damage to the house - some of the siding got ripped off, and some minor water damage from the missing siding and water coming in through the roof vents (most likely due to the odd angles that water was blowing).

Still no phone service. So much for the reliability of land lines.

Twice Bitten
09-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Tiki doesn't count. :D New rule: must be primary residence. ;)

Tiki was our primary residence from late spring untill school started :D !

Angel
09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Tiki was our primary residence from late spring untill school started :D !Sorry to hear about your house :eek: that was a nice room too.

I hope you can salvage even part of TIKI; - rebuild from what is there. Friends form the east side come to visit me last nite ( and eat some steak that they have none on their side of town! ) that drove and seen Kemah, G-Town, etc. for themselves and unfortunately, it is worse than the t.v. depicts. :eek:

Lost some gutters and decorative window shutters at my complex on Briar Forest and Eldridge; - not a roof tile lost. But, my patio doors were about to give and the seals are cracked with cracks all over the drywall. Aside from the doors, the building is strong. Angel and Vieola is good. Storm Shrapnel hit my doors and dented them though.

The marine report had winds of 110 mph gusting to 132 mph at the coast and at Hwy 6 West was at 95 gusting to 110 ! Amazing we fared as good as we did.

Hope everyone is safe and get power soon. Late Tuesday nite we got restored. :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
JUST got internet back today....we lost power from 6am on Saturday to 4pm Tuesday. No work on when we can go back to work at our office on 290/Beltway 8. I've been working at the Woodlands mall to try and get them repaired, power and some damage to the EIFS siding.

The parent's house had about 4 trees down, no structural damage, but one of the trees is leaning on the back of the house. Not sure if I want to scale the 45 degree roof to cut limb by limb. Not sure if any of you remember the lake on the golf course in the back yard. It came about 10 feet into the property. Will post some cell phone pics soon.

97CasperCobra
09-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Here are some pics:
The lake's "normal" level is on the FAR side of the tree in the middle:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/173/13143/256336.jpg

This tree is "leaning" against the house...didn't get much fall b/c it was so close:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/173/13143/256339.jpg

And me taking care of other downed trees:
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/173/13143/256338.jpg

Admiral
09-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Finally back on line, we got power last night. During IKE we lost our 26ft boat, I watched it sink after our boat house rafters gave way at 6am and the waves beat the boat into splinters against the bulkhead (and this was Lake Conroe, not the Gulf of Mexico!). Also, our two jetskis fell into the lake and were likewise beaten to death, both are floating upside down in the lake now but are totalled. Other than the damage to the lifts and rafters in the boathouse we suffered no damage, whew. Power being out is a nuisance but nothing compared to the devastation we saw on TV from Galveston/Bolivar.

gtdrivr
09-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Tiki was our primary residence from late spring untill school started :D !OK, which ever house you get a homestead exemption on. ;)

gfcobra
09-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Still no power in the Meyerland area & is not scheduled to be worked on until after Monday 9/22. Now that cellular service is reliable in the area I can tether my blackberry to the laptop for internet service.

I have minor roof damage some singles removed, however it does not leak as far as I can tell. Also on Friday morning the wife & I cut down a small tree that had grownup around our personal power line from the poll, or else the line would have gone down too. At about 2:00am we had to nail the front door shut. Water was coming in underneath the door & it was vibrating.

Several homes in the neighborhood have there personal power lines down along with the main lines at the end of the block. Two blocks away the houses have power. Luckily we pickup a generator from Pep Boys on Friday morning, so the beer & the water are cold, thanks to the generator.

Everybody stay safe & be careful at the intersections. No need to get hurt in a car accident after surviving Ike. I have already seen tempers getting short in gas lines too.

Gary

kencobra
09-23-2008, 05:54 PM
We are still without power and it is getting really old. I think we should start a reality show about the family dynamics of a family living together without elcetricity. I think I will call it "The Kocab's No Power Hour" straight from our sweaty liviing room to yours. On the bright side we did not lose property like some of our club members did and I have to say I very sorry to here some of your stories.
Now if I could only get the word that the buyer for our house is still committed to doing so, we have not heard a thing since before Ike. :( The new house made it thru the storm without much damgage but did have a few leaks that need to be fixed by the builder before we close which was supposed to be this Friday but has been pushed back until... At least the nice retention ponds in my back yard did what they were supposed to and kept the subdivision from flooding :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
We are still without power and it is getting really old.
Ken...if you need a place to stay that has power and everything let me know. I have plenty of room :thumbsup:

kencobra
09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Ken...if you need a place to stay that has power and everything let me know. I have plenty of room :thumbsup:

Mike,

Thanks so much for the invite. I will be over tonight with my family of 23 plus my 8 dogs, 6 cats, 2 snakes, 3 goldfish and a baby squirel. Just kidding ! Thanks for the invite but we will make it thru this. Plus I do have 3 over 70 lb inside dogs that I would not wish on my worst ememy, even as sweet as they can be. Thanks again :thumbsup:

gtdrivr
09-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Mike,

Thanks so much for the invite. I will be over tonight with my family of 23 plus my 8 dogs, 6 cats, 2 snakes, 3 goldfish and a baby squirel. Just kidding ! Thanks for the invite but we will make it thru this. Plus I do have 3 over 70 lb inside dogs that I would not wish on my worst ememy, even as sweet as they can be. Thanks again :thumbsup:But we feel guilty leaving your old ass without oxygen!

We should be kind to our elders in these times of need, even if they LOOK younger than me (bastard).

kencobra
09-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Ok, we just got our power back on at 3:30pm Saturday. Is there any members still doing without or did I win the award for without power the longest ?

Topless In Tex
10-13-2008, 11:54 PM
We were asked to evacutate by our Plane an elderly lady and her Dauchstund to Austin. Did that, it went great. Paul hates dogs, but it was a real hoot to fly an elderly lady we did not know out of town... :D
We ended up in New Braunfels for 4 nights.

Our house did fine, here in La Porte, we did NOT get the storm surge they predicted Thank GOD, cuz my ROUSH was in the DRIVEWAY... HIS 3 Vettes in the Garage.... I just made a $700 car payment the day before we left, I'd been PISSED if It got flooded! :mad:

the Hangars in Baytown got the doors blown off them. Good thing we were GONE with the Baron! The Baron now sits Still in the hangar with out any doors, but its okay. Be hard to steal an airplane.

But, my mom and my step dad with liver cancer lost thier place in Galveston, was thier 2nd home, especially since he got diagnosed with Cancer.. I'm thinking he's gonna lose his property. Immenant DOMAIN. We were just there on my Bday in July. I feel real bad for them. Here's the link to what happened to thier place. I 'wrote' in things on like the first 8 pics so you can see what you are comparing it to, because it got wiped out and that first pic is a GREAT REFERENCE PIC.
So, heres the link.

I'm glad everyones okay, and I'm real sorry for your damage... just sucks..

I have a client who JUST built a house on Tiki, I am anxious to find out how he did. I hope they did okay....... :(

Heres my webshots:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567684605SjIkAI
But on the bright side, Paul got his Turnaround complete at Exxon/Mobile and we have some fun things planned for the end of the month and Thanksgiving... Going to Terlinqua at the end of October for the big national Chili Cookoff to camp in the Big Bend under the stars and going to Daytona Thanksgiving weekend for a huge Rod Run, Swap meet, Car show we got a beach view room. I cant wait. This year has just been way too stressful for me. Especially with now my 401 K I've been feeding HEAVILY for 3 years is in the hole. I am gonna quit paying into it now and take the extra money to pay off my ROUSH. I should have it paid off a year early, and I can QUIT DOING HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!! God, there is LIGHT at the end of this tunnel!
:TNT: