PDA

View Full Version : Cable

kencobra
10-08-2008, 08:27 AM
We need to pick a cable company by tomorrow. We are leaning towards AT&T U-Verse and stepping away from Com Cast. Does anyone have anything specifically good or bad to say about AT&T.

jimmysidecarr
10-08-2008, 07:07 PM
We need to pick a cable company by tomorrow. We are leaning towards AT&T U-Verse and stepping away from Com Cast. Does anyone have anything specifically good or bad to say about AT&T.

I can't speak to the TV issue, but I can tell you the DSL(the fastest one I could get) is WAY more reliable than the Road Runner I used to have. Road runner got to the point where it was cratering once every 2 weeks. :doubt:
We are not Comcast fans at this point, we canceled everything with them.

We are also thinking about checking out the AT&T TV services, but have been waiting to speak with someone who already had it.

Money has been flying out the door lately, between IKE and my doctor visits, so we aren't in a huge hurry.

gfcobra
10-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I am sick of Comcast!!! My cable & internet has not been right since 2 weeks before the hurricane hit & there not coming out till 10/20. I tried calling direct TV they gave me an install date of 9/19 than canceled it & said I have to wait till 10/23.
Let us know what you think of AT&T if you go that route, I have thought about AT&T also. The only thing is direct TV has more HD channels than anybody else (they have The Speed Channel in HD) Comcast & dish network don't.

Thanks Gary.

93KingCobra
10-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I have AT&T and really like it :thumbsup: a lot better than ComCast...

Bartman01
10-08-2008, 11:29 PM
How many max channels can you get in to the house at once with ATT? If you have 2 shows you want to record in HD while your wife records a show in HD and your kids watch live TV in HD is that even possible with ATT? With Comcast you can get 2 HD channels recording at a time per box with no practical limit.

The 'whole house' DVR thing with ATT looks good, but the best I can tell is that you get a max of 3 HD channels recording at one time - as opposed to 4 with Comcast and 2 DVRs or 6 with Comcast and 3 DVRs.

For the people *****ing about Comcast during the Hurricane - we had cable right up until the power went out and got it back the moment that power came back on. Our ATT phone service was out for a good week past that. At this point I would not consider any one service more 'reliable' than another.

Personally, while I really don't care for Comcast and am seriously considering switching to DirecTV for their HD lineup there is NO WAY I would give up their Internet service at this time. Nothing else available in the Houston area comes close to speeds I get with cable. Verizon's 'fiber to the curb' is better, but ATT's 'fiber most of the way but copper to the curb' is not.

Not sure if it is still available, but Earthlink is my internet provider - Comcast is just the method that it gets to my house.

gtdrivr
10-09-2008, 07:32 AM
I like our Uverse. They do seem to have some issues with timely hook-ups, though. We are fiber to the prim. That means an inside Uverse tech has to come and do his part, then call a core services tech to come and connect to the box plus install a power supply. After he is through, the inside tech has to finish his install...program, check signal, etc.

They wouldnt do my fiber connection because it was sprinkling, so I had to wait 2 days. They werent happy when I told them I would hold the damn umbrella so they could make ONE good splice!

kencobra
10-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Looks like we are going with AT&T but they are not able to come out until Oct 30th for the TV side of it :( . You can bet your cable bill that I will be on the phone with them at least every other day trying to get the install date moved up. :D

Andy M
10-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I've had DirecTV for over 10 years now and love it. I have recently upgraded one of my DVRs to HD with the new dish and receiver and love the HD lineup. I cranked up my generator at 10am the morning after Ike blew through and had my 52" DLP up and running and was watching Channel 2 in High Def - and continued to do so for the next 9 days until our power was restored. Not sure if U-verse was up and running in my neighborhood, but I can say that my AT&T landline was down hard until the power came back up, which tells me that they are not running my copper line all the way to the Central office like they used to and are likely running it into a U-Verse (or some such aggregation point) pedestal and jumping on a fiber ring. The down side to this is when power goes out, you are SOL!!

My vote goes to DirecTV of course! :thumbsup:

Bartman01
10-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I can say that my AT&T landline was down hard until the power came back up

Odd. Our landline stayed up through the storm and was working the next morning (no power). When it did go out it was mid-day after the storm and it stayed out far longer than the power did. One thing to consider is that most new phones have to be plugged in to work - are you sure the phone issues were with the line and not with your phones? I keep several ancient phones around for when the power goes out.

gtdrivr
10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
I've had DirecTV for over 10 years now and love it. I have recently upgraded one of my DVRs to HD with the new dish and receiver and love the HD lineup. I cranked up my generator at 10am the morning after Ike blew through and had my 52" DLP up and running and was watching Channel 2 in High Def - and continued to do so for the next 9 days until our power was restored. Not sure if U-verse was up and running in my neighborhood, but I can say that my AT&T landline was down hard until the power came back up, which tells me that they are not running my copper line all the way to the Central office like they used to and are likely running it into a U-Verse (or some such aggregation point) pedestal and jumping on a fiber ring. The down side to this is when power goes out, you are SOL!!

My vote goes to DirecTV of course! :thumbsup:If you have fiber to the prim like we have, you have a power supply in the house. In the very least, you would have to power that, the box, and the TV.
We were only out of power for 29 hours. Uverse was up and running when our TV was turned back on. I'm not sure exactly what happened during those 29 hrs, though. The slick cabinet was probably without power, so I doubt there was a signal.