PDA

View Full Version : '96 Clutch question

SVTSnak
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey all,

I haven't been able to get a service manual yet, so I thought I'd ask really quick here. Does the '96 Cobra have a manual or hydraulic clutch? If it's manual, where is the adjustment at?

I'm starting to feel my release point come pretty close to the top of the pedal (well, kinda has been since I got it) and once in a while she'll grind if I try and shift fast/hard. :( So, I'm hoping it's a manual clutch so I can adjust it somewhere.

If it's hydraulic, I guess I'm SOL until I can get the money for a new clutch, so I'm kinda hoping it's not. :D

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

decco
10-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Your clutch is cable operated. You adjust it by pulling up on the clutch pedal, but that will bring the engagement point up even higher yet.

PETSNKE
10-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Or buy a quadrant, firewall adjuster and a freeplay kit. Stick with the stock cable though, the aftermarket cables are known to fail.

MM (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/) , Steeda (http://www.steeda.com/products/drivetrain_quadrants_cables_adjusters.php) and Fiore (http://www.need-4-speed.com/fiore.htm) are the vendors to look at.

SVTSnak
10-28-2008, 03:36 AM
Wow...things have come a long way since last time I had a clutch operated car. LOL I'm used to the metal rod mechanical clutch in my older Camaros. Where you got under it and were able to either screw in or out the threaded rod to adjust the clutch.

So, the only way to do it on the Cobra is to get under the dash/clutch pedal and adjust it there somehow? :eek: That sounds like fun. :rolleyes: :doubt:

I don't know if I want to go with an adjustable block and all that. I don't really have too much of a problem of where the engagement point is, but I just figured (from what I'm used to) that when it gets closer to the top like that, that the clutch needs adjusting. Plus, it seems a little more "hesitant" to slip into the gears now. Even if I push the pedal all the way to the floor.

That's why I was hoping a cable adjustment might help it. However, it almost is sounding as if when the clutch is starting to go, it just goes. No real adjustment on it. Again, I've never had a "cable clutch".

Looks like I might be saving for a new clutch. Ugggghhh! :eek: :(

blk04cobra1
10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
There's not much to installing the firewall/quadrant adjuster and it will definitely help your engagement and maybe prolong replacing the clutch. Are getting that funky clutch smell or can you feel slipping in higher RPM's?

SVTSnak
11-02-2008, 02:08 PM
No, not really getting any smell and it doesn't really feel like it's slipping. Just feels "rougher" going into gears and once in a while it'll grind if I'm really getting on it. It's happened going into 3rd, 4th & 5th.

Just used to feel more "fluid like" going into gears before (even normal driving), but doesn't feel like that now. Even getting it into reverse is a pain in the butt now. I almost have to go into first, roll the car and then go into reverse.

Usually when I've had these issues before the clutch needed adjusting or it's on it's way out. :( I was praying for the adjustment side of it rather than the clutch being on it's way out. I has slipped once or twice at high rpm when I've switched gears but normally it doesn't slip.