PDA

View Full Version : The media and CHL holders in Oregon

Twice Bitten
11-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Very disturbing. :mad: I hope this is not real!

http://www.co.washington.or.us/sheriff/service/ccw_not.htm

jimmysidecarr
11-08-2008, 11:22 PM
That IS very disturbing!!!

More liberal nonsense, thinking they are making people safer, they are actually endangering those law abiding citizens who carry concealed.

Don't they(the liberal media) have some criminal activities they could be shining the light on?

No heavens no! It might hurt the criminal's feelings to have their lawless dangerous activities exposed in the news.

Down the tubes. :doubt:
We seem to have have moved beyond incremental subtle changes.

I have been shopping for pistol cartridge carbine rifles lately and they are sold out every where I have looked. :doubt:

I think a lot of people besides me have seen the writing on the wall.

Evilcartman
11-08-2008, 11:56 PM
The BO contamination has already started.

Mrs TwiceBitten
11-09-2008, 01:01 AM
.....:cool:

Twice Bitten
11-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I had a member of the media confirm this is for real and that it is going on in other states as well. :mad:

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/issues/2008/09/25/pistol-packing-people/

Mrs TwiceBitten
11-09-2008, 12:05 PM
"Yes We Can . . . Ban Guns"--Obama Announces Gun Ban Agenda Before The Final Vote Count Is In
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/read.aspx?id=4227

What the Tiahrt Amendment says:
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=208

People, if you any inclination of supporting a cause, some of the best money you can spend is to join the NRA or at least visit their website to see what is being done to protect your Second Amendment rights...which in turn protects your First Amendment rights. The NRA shoots straight (literally).

Now is not the time to just read a story and say "huh..." and walk away...now is the time to get involved, and stay involved. "Remember that a government big enough to give you all you want, is also big enough to take away everything you have."

ORANGE CRUSH
11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Dam dirty libs.

SuperG
11-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Yep...I can no longer say this surprises me because the last 2 years has been a real wake-up call...witnessing the success of the mediocre and ignorant people have really been depressing.

Notice how gun sales has taken a jump...especially sales of ammo?

Admiral
11-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Well, what's the worst that can happen from having your name disclosed? I may be missing something profound but I'd rather have it known that there's a CHL issued for someone at my address, so don't come snooping around trying to steal my stuff!

But I do miss Chuck Heston, the NRA ain't the same without him....

Twice Bitten
11-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Well, what's the worst that can happen from having your name disclosed? I may be missing something profound but I'd rather have it known that there's a CHL issued for someone at my address, so don't come snooping around trying to steal my stuff!

But I do miss Chuck Heston, the NRA ain't the same without him....

Because professionals will watch your house before they try to break in. :mad:
We have a right of privacy. :mad:

And yes, we all miss Chuck! :(

Admiral
11-12-2008, 08:05 PM
I got news amigo, the pro's case your house regardless of your CHL status. But, hey, if you want to keep your CHL status private then I'm sure the ACLU lawyers will agree lol.

Mrs TwiceBitten
11-12-2008, 08:27 PM
I got news amigo, the pro's case your house regardless of your CHL status. But, hey, if you want to keep your CHL status private then I'm sure the ACLU lawyers will agree lol.
True, very true. But at what point does disclosure become a violation of privacy? Is it anyone's business how much of what I own? It is the slippery slope to a society that I did not sign up for...do you want your income to be public record? The snowball effect is staggering...

This argument is a red herring, designed to mask an anti-gun political agenda that involves targeting citizens who have a legal CHL by publishing their name, age, and county of residence.
Government makes decisions all the time to keep government information private if there is a chance that publishing that information could harm citizens. For example, a Social Security Number is government information, but it is kept private to avoid identity theft. Those who have obtained a restraining order from a government entity, such as a court, are not subjected to having a new address or phone number published in order to protect the victim.

The argument for open government records is the public’s “need to know.” But the public has no need to know when it comes to legally concealed weapons by law abiding citizens. And since there is a precedent for protecting citizens by keeping certain information private, there is no reason to publish this information in a newspaper.

Admiral
11-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Trust me, I have little incentive to play devil's advocate here. I hope you get to keep your CHL status private, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is subject to an Open Records request and thereby made public. It seems to be the new hotness to request any and all records from the Government in the hopes of discovering something newsworthy these days.

Evilcartman
11-13-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't really like the idea of having a public database because employers may make it a unwritten policy to avoid hiring people with CHL's. Most have it written in their hand books now that you can't even have the firearm in your vehicle at work. I think that advertising a CHL is a theft deterent because that means you more than likely will be walking into your home armed. Thinking like a theft, the last thing I want is a armed home owner following me in his front door armed. I know after being broken into, I never leave home without my gun.

I thought about framing Angela's and my CHL cert and hanging up in the front entry way. :D But it could also lead someone to think you have additional firearms in the house worth stealing.

Twice Bitten
11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Most thiefs are not professionals, most are just thugs.
But by making this info public, it gives the professional thiefs to much info (address). It seams that most CHL holders have more property that they want to protect. Also like Kieth stated, other entities could use this information against you.

This a slippery slope I do not care to go down. The only information anyone needs is the info I supply to them for what ever transaction we are doing together, and it should be kept private!

The media has no business printing any kind of personal, private information for the public to see. Period!

Bartman01
11-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, what's the worst that can happen from having your name disclosed?

If you work for an anti-gun company, you could get fired.
If you have anti-gun activists in your neighborhood, they could make your life miserable.
If you are being stalked, the stalker now knows you have a CHL and any attack they plan would escalate in violence accordingly.

There is no 'public interest' reason in publishing this list of names. The only reason for publishing this list is to give people who are anti-gun and may act on their beliefs a list of targets. The paper also wanted to publish the addresses (they asked for these as well in their request), but were denied access to that information.