PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fan replacement

puzzle13
11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Has anybody with a Terminator replaced their stock fan with an aftermarket or alternative? My fan went out last weekend while running at VIR and now I am looking to replace. Anybody used a Flex-A-Lite? Just curious as I have heard that the stock fans are quite whimpy. Also, does anybody know what the resistance unit that is wired into the fan loop is for.

Thanks

03graysvt
12-10-2008, 08:30 PM
i just replaced my fan about 2 months ago when i got my car back ive got a DSG 03 with 65,000 i had the head tick issue and the fan went out when my car was in the shop im not sure what that resistor is for but i can ask my mechanic and see if he know

cfradam
12-10-2008, 10:19 PM
stay away from flex-a-lite unless you like an under hood BBQ. if you want to upgrade, a Mark VIII fan is a good choice. I think there is some wiring needed but nothing that some basic skills cant handle

puzzle13
12-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Well, I found out what the resistor was for ... it lowers the amperage/voltage to run the fan at a lower speed, hence the 2 speed fan. I looked into the Mark VII fan as I was told it pulled a ton of air, but was warned of electrical problems as the Lincoln electronics run at a much higher amperage than the Ford stuff. I was informed that fan can pull up to 70 amps at times and the fuse running the stock fan is only a 50 amp fuse. In the end I installed a Flex-A-Lite Black Magic universal fan and wired it directly to the stock system. Works great so far, even withstanding a lapping day at VIR full course with speeds up to 145 mph on the back straight. Now the test will be the track in May through September!