PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/ 93 Cobra

John Chingasos
12-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey Everybody,

For the past 18 months, my 93 cobra seems to have a lot of back pressure in the exhaust. If I press on the gas sometimes the car does not respond. I did a full tune up last week and nothing has changed. It almost weems like the exhaust is restrictive. can anyone give me some ideas as to what is wrong withthte car?

LATERS

jimmysidecarr
12-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Cat or cats plugged?

Diag technique is to loosen the cat pipe from the manifolds, leaving about a 1/2" gap. or you can just completely remove it.
Tie back out of the way any flammable or easily melted wiring or what ever.

Test drive the "now extremely LOUD" car, see if it is still sluggish, or exhibits the same symptoms.

If the problem is gone, you have melted/plugged/ broken up cat/cats.
If it is broken up, chunks could have passed back into your cat back and would likely make a rattle if you hit it.(hit it hard but don't hurt your hand)
The plugged portion can therefore migrate. Hopefully it all stays in the cat pipe.(you can detect the rattle there also using the same technique)

If a cat is melted, it will also plug off exhaust, but the debris generally does not migrate. It will not rattle either.

If your symptoms do not dramatically improve/change you have other issues.

97CasperCobra
12-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Wait.....you still HAVE the 93??? Thought you sold that sucka....glad you kept it man. :thumbsup:

Andy M
12-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Cat or cats plugged?

Diag technique is to loosen the cat pipe from the manifolds, leaving about a 1/2" gap. or you can just completely remove it.

Test drive the "now extremely LOUD" car, see if it is still sluggish, or exhibits the same symptoms.

If it is broken up, chunks could have passed back into your cat back and would likely make a rattle if you hit it.(hit it hard but don't hurt your hand)
The plugged portion can therefore migrate. Hopefully it all stays in the cat pipe.(you can detect the rattle there also using the same technique)

If a cat is melted, it will also plug off exhaust, but the debris generally does not migrate. It will not rattle either.

If your symptoms do not dramatically improve/change you have other issues.John,

As Jimmy indicated earlier, I would definitely look at the CATs first. This sure sounds like they are the likely culprit. Please keep us informed....

cobrapace94
12-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Agreed on being the cats. Some aftermarket high flow cats, a good time to upgrade. :thumbsup:
Easy to do, a couple hours at the most. Need help?

Blownsvtlightning
12-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Cat or cats plugged?

If your symptoms do not dramatically improve/change you have other issues.

Or install a backpressure gauge, which can be had for less than 50 bucks. spec is 2psi or less at 2000 rpm

SuperG
12-28-2008, 04:23 PM
The symptom also reminds me of a clogged gas filter

John Chingasos
12-29-2008, 10:31 AM
I changed the filter during the tune up last week

Thanks everybody

Anybody want to help ????

I have cash and fajitas

Twice Bitten
12-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks everybody

I have cash and fajitas

How do you expect to get help without any BEER!!!!! :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

SuperG
12-29-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks everybody

I have cash and fajitas
Oh...well try turning it around!!

Evilcartman
12-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks everybody

I have cash and fajitas

What about a coffee cup? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Blownsvtlightning
12-29-2008, 04:00 PM
What about a coffee cup? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I belive caspa (Mike) was the lucky recipient of the coffee mug and beautiful of the gorgeous 2008 St. Pauly Girl oh and some poster of a cobra vert :D

Blownsvtlightning
12-29-2008, 04:03 PM

Thanks everybody

I have cash and fajitas

how does the exhaust flow feel from the pipes? when someone revs it up can you feel a high volume of exhaust exiting the pipes?

John Chingasos
12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
When someone steps on the gas the exhaust is not a constant flow of air but more like a sputtering of air. Does that make sense?

:( :( :( :(

John Chingasos
12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
I belive caspa (Mike) was the lucky recipient of the coffee mug and beautiful of the gorgeous 2008 St. Pauly Girl oh and some poster of a cobra vert :D

Bastard Mike took the SVT coffee mug from me and traded the damn Jackelope for it ????????

What a rip :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

97CasperCobra
12-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Bastard Mike took the SVT coffee mug from me and traded the damn Jackelope for it ????????
I traded you the Bath & Body Works set...i'm sure your wife enjoyed it. I think I'll have some hot coffee in my "limited edition" 2003 Cobra mug :D :thumbsup:

Evilcartman
12-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I traded you the Bath & Body Works set...i'm sure your wife enjoyed it. I think I'll have some hot coffee in my "limited edition" 2003 Cobra mug :D :thumbsup:

Make sure you don't spill hot boiling coffee all over your lap. :firebounc :firebounc :firebounc :firebounc :firebounc :firebounc

93KingCobra
12-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey I forgot I got one of those mugs..... :D :D :D :D

BGR
01-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Double check firing order and fuel pressure, if that is okay, you have some bad cats.