PDA

View Full Version : Official Registration for the SCMC HPDE @ CMP March 14-15, 2009

cobrabitn
12-28-2008, 02:22 AM
Come out and join the SCMC for some on track fun at Carolina Motorsports Park. The event consists of two days of open track with in car instruction available. If you are new to open track then here is a controlled setting where you can drive your car the way it was built to be driven. For more experienced drivers you get a lot of track time. The event is limited to the first 75 students/drivers.

The event is sponsored by MGW Ltd of Augusta, GA www.mgwltd.com (http://www.mgwltd.com/)

Registration for this event is OPEN.

Please be sure to download both the registration form and the events packet. The registration form is in adobe and MS Word in case you do not have the updated version of Adobe Acrobat.

You can pay on line in the store at SCMC Store (http://www.scmcstore.com/store/product.php?productid=93&cat=2&page=1) or mail your entry form and check made to "SCMC" to the following address:

SCMC - Carolina Motorsports Park
C/O Tony Sorrentino
P.O. Box 37376
Rock Hill, SC 29732

Lodging

The host hotel is the Jamison Inn, Lancaster, SC. Price is $67.99 a night and we have a block of 40 rooms. When making reservations, please mention "SVT Cobra Club" so you can get the negotiated rate. You can call them at 803.283.1188.

There will be camping at the facility but you will have to pay a camping fee of $25.00 for the weekend. You will pay the track direct instead of paying the club for Friday/Saturday. There will also be a spectator fee if you plan to come and watch but not participate. The spectator fee will allow you to do "parade" laps during lunch.

Event Organizers/Registration:

Tony Sorrentino - Registration - 1994 Rio Red SVT Cobra Coupe
Rick McNutt - Logistics - 2002 Silver Corvette

Tech Inspectors:

Burke Dawson - 1997 Rio Red SVT Cobra Coupe

Classroom Instructor:

Scott Whitehead

Paid Participants:

1. Mike Smith - 2002 Blue Corvette Z06
2. Gregory Weekes - 1994 Green Mustang GT Hatchback
3. Mark Barnes - 1993 Blue Mustang LX Hatchback
4. Mike Harrison - 2006 Blue Porsche Coupe
5. John Liebe - 1978 Beige Corvette Coupe
6. Peter Sienkiewicz - 2005 Red Ford GT Coupe
7. Rufus Ivie - 1993 Green Mustang
8. Wolfgang Robinson - 1993 Red RX7
9. Dan Brewer - 2002 Corvette Z06
10. Chris Sargent - 2002 Corvette Z06
11. Shawn Huffman - 1998 Silver BMW M3 Coupe
12. David Eastman - White Panoz Coupe
13. Chris Retz - 2006 Blue Porsche Carrera Coupe
14. Pat Smith - 2002 Silver Corvette
15. Steven Connor - 2007 White Shelby GT 500 Convertible
16. Mark Appeli - 1995 White SVT Mustang Cobra R Coupe
17. Dennis McCrary - 1998 Black SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible
18. D McCrary - 1989 Black Honda Civic Coupe
19. Vernon Banks - 2007 White Shelby GT 500 Coupe
20. Kevin Rosen - 2008 White Shelby GT 500 Coupe
21. Brian Dehler - 1965 Blue FFR Convertible

goldeneagle_10
12-28-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm all in on this one. I think the last time I signed up for it, I had no HPDE experience, but I will have 2 HPDE's under my belt by the time this one comes around (Nashville Superspeedway in May 08 and CMP in Feb 09 with Nasa). So just sign me up under the group that you think I should be in accordingly I guess. Thanks! :bounce:

cobrabitn
12-29-2008, 08:36 PM
You are prepaid for this event right? Please download the form, fill it out, and resubmit it to the address supplied on the form and write "Prepaid from 2008" on it.

Thanks,

Tony

goldeneagle_10
12-29-2008, 08:46 PM
You are prepaid for this event right? Please download the form, fill it out, and resubmit it to the address supplied on the form and write "Prepaid from 2008" on it.

Thanks,

TonyYes, I am prepaid from 08. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Edit: Will Pro Dyno be at this HPDE? I have some friends with stangs that wanted to know.

98banana
01-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Hey Tony,

Is this for members and non-members?

RF Cobra
01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Not Tony, but I know he has a busy schedule today.

You do not have to be a member to participate in SCMC track events.

Hey Tony,

johnbasf
01-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey Tony,

:D :D :D

cobrabitn
01-07-2009, 11:43 PM
What Allan said Tom.... :thumbsup:

johnbasf
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Is Tom running a car at this event???? :thumbsup:

ATNGRABR
01-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Hello everyone. I have a few questions about this event I was hopping someone could help answer:

1) Is passing allowed on the beginners run

2) Rougly how many races do you get in during a single day and how long is each race

3) Are spectators allowed to ride in your car

4) Are helmets required and if so do you have to have your own or do they rent them at the track

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm really hopping to make this event.

cobrabitn
01-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Hello everyone. I have a few questions about this event I was hopping someone could help answer:

1) Is passing allowed on the beginners run - Yes

2) Roughly how many races do you get in during a single day and how long is each race. It is not a race but a driving school so beginners will have an instructor with them. You get 4 run sessions per day

3) Are spectators allowed to ride in your car - Not for beginners, only instructors.

4) Are helmets required and if so do you have to have your own or do they rent them at the track Yes they are required and I am not sure if the track has any to loan.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm really hoping to make this event.

Bring friends and have fun, that is what it is all about. There is a spectator fee for this event but you will get 4 passes for friends and family.

HTH :thumbsup:

Viper
01-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I have a question: My wife bought me a $250 gift certificate to Carolina Motorsports Park for an open track day. Would I be able to cash this in with you guys for this event?

cobrabitn
01-10-2009, 09:52 PM
No, that is a CMP track coupon, not an SCMC coupon, sorry it would not be redeemable with us. :( However, there's nothing stopping you from coming out to our event and paying to participate with us anyway. :thumbsup:

Viper
01-11-2009, 11:16 AM
No, that is a CMP track coupon, not an SCMC coupon, sorry it would not be redeemable with us. :( However, there's nothing stopping you from coming out to our event and paying to participate with us anyway. :thumbsup:
I thought that would be the case. I may come out and watch you guys, but I'm on the fence about putting the GT500 on the track. Its one thing to put my CBR1000RR on the track because it is not worth much. The front fairing has taken a beating from sand and small debris thrown up at it on the track. I'd be very upset with myself if the front of my Shelby had scratches and pits all over it from being on track at CMP. :banghead: Not to mention the car is my daily driver now. Maybe one day I'll track the car.

cobrabitn
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Maybe you can come out and catch a ride and then that would make you understand open tracking better. If you decide to do some of it, I'd probably just get a Fox body or 94-98 Cobra and run it on the track instead of messing up the Shelby.

Z06xr
01-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Hey Tony
You guys are gonna like the changes they made at CMP. You're going to have to play around with new turns 12 & 13 to figure out a good line through there. They left plenty of room to try a variety of lines. The track is actually a slight bit longer now but about 3 seconds quicker. Been putting down some low 1:43s

cobrabitn
01-15-2009, 08:58 AM
It will be good to see you again Pat!!

On line payment is now in the SCMC Store (http://www.scmcstore.com/store/product.php?productid=93&cat=2&page=1) !

Rex
01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi Tony:

Great job in 08 so it will be hard to match it for 2009! My car won't be ready by the CMP event but Deb and I will plan on the other two at VIR.

Thanks!
Rex

flynfink
01-15-2009, 01:07 PM

1) Is passing allowed on the beginners run - Yes

2) Roughly how many races do you get in during a single day and how long is each race. It is not a race but a driving school so beginners will have an instructor with them. You get 4 run sessions per day

3) Are spectators allowed to ride in your car - Not for beginners, only instructors.

4) Are helmets required and if so do you have to have your own or do they rent them at the track Yes they are required and I am not sure if the track has any to loan.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm really hoping to make this event.

Bring friends and have fun, that is what it is all about. There is a spectator fee for this event but you will get 4 passes for friends and family.

HTH :thumbsup:

And Helmets MUST MEET MIN. REQUIREMENTS NO MOTORCYCLE HELMETS

Viper
01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Hey Tony
You guys are gonna like the changes they made at CMP. You're going to have to play around with new turns 12 & 13 to figure out a good line through there. They left plenty of room to try a variety of lines. The track is actually a slight bit longer now but about 3 seconds quicker. Been putting down some low 1:43s
The best line I have found through 12 and 13 is to hit the apex in 12 and then turn out wide into 13. This allows you to get on the throttle sooner and will launch you towards 14. It takes a few times to get used to drifting out that far after the apex in twelve, but once you get the hang of it you'll knock off at least a second in that corner alone.:flash:

cobrabitn
01-16-2009, 11:17 PM
List updated!! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Please be sure to download the entry packet, too.

Thx :)

98banana
01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Is Tom running a car at this event???? :thumbsup:
It's highly doubtful unless my Dodge Megacab 4x4 will be allowed. I actually bought Janis a Mazda Protege that would make for a fun little track car.

Actually, I was asking for a co-worker that has a hankerin' for open tracking his 400hp 240SX.

tomsgarage
01-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Count me in! Just got the wife to agree to a new set of track tires, so I have to wait til next month to register, but I will be there and possibly an SVT Focus! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Glad you can make it Tom and please spread the word about our track event at CMP to others. :thumbsup:

fasst94impala
02-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey Tony,

I just got the email about this event. Man, I have 24hours of Lemons race at CMP 2 weeks later so to stay married, I'll have to catch up with you guys at VIR :). I haven't played there yet. Have fun, be fast and safe!

Mark

Z06xr
02-09-2009, 01:51 PM
The best line I have found through 12 and 13 is to hit the apex in 12 and then turn out wide into 13. This allows you to get on the throttle sooner and will launch you towards 14. It takes a few times to get used to drifting out that far after the apex in twelve, but once you get the hang of it you'll knock off at least a second in that corner alone.:flash:

Yes I see a lot of people taking that line and I have experimented with it myself. But like I said....there are a variety of ways to get fromT12 to T14. What works best for me is a really late apex in 12. I am able to nail the gas at the end of the inside rumple strip in 12 , track out to about mid-track then hold that arc to a second apex at the end of T13 and track out to the 1st brake marker for 14. Fact is I use that 1st brake marker as a visual reference as I come around 12 hard on the gas gradually unwinding the wheel as the speed increases till I end up at the edge of the track beside that marker. Regardles of the line you take to T14 a late apex of 12 is critical. Anything early will put you on the rumple strips on the outside of 13....kinda like the old T14 did. I give up a tiny bit going into 12 but it alows me to be hard on the gas at the apex of 12 all the way down to my brake point for 14 and cuts a little distance around 13 too.

Not all cars are alike so results may vary *grin*

Viper
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Not all cars are alike so results may vary *grin*
Not to mention that I was on my track bike... :D I bet it is quite different on four wheels and then each car may find success with different lines.

Pete S.
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Tony,

I am all in and will continue promoting this and all events on the NCRMC.org and FGT Forums.

Pete S.

cobrabitn
02-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks Pete, I appreciate that and look forward to having our first on track event this year. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
List Updated! :thumbsup:

Mystic_Cobra
03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I assume this event is still accepting registrations since there's no CLOSED sign anywhere?!?

Need any more instructors?

I may actually have a spare weekend and a need to test a new setup on my beater. :D

johnbasf
03-16-2009, 01:34 PM
The event is sponsored by MGW Ltd of Augusta, GA www.mgwltd.com (http://www.mgwltd.com/)

Was Parkway Ford a sponsor this year??

cobrabitn
03-16-2009, 07:59 PM
To those of you that went to this event, look for pictures by the end of the week. I still have cruise-in pics to post.. :rotf:

If you see a photo you like that I took then e-mail me and I will send you the high resolution of it. If you would like for me to put it on a plaque for you, just let me know and I'll fix it up for ya! :thumbsup:

Tony

95R#86
03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Tony,

Mark Aeppli and I want to say thanks very much for not canceling this event. We had a great time Saturday. We've been to this event the last couple of years and always enjoy it. You guys run a fantastic event!

Really enjoyed meeting Mark Barnes, Greg Weekes, Brian Harris, Pat Smith and David Eastman!

Regards,

Chris Sargent
2002 Black ZO6

Pete S.
03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Want to take a minute and thank all for putting this 2 day event together at CMP. The weather made for a completely new sense of driving, as it rained fairly consistently the entire event. One benefit was the amount of track time, and having Chris as my ride along instructor when he wasn't tearing up the track in Mike's 2006 Blue Porsche Carrera Coupe. I am fairly certain that along with stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes and the like, the Porsche also includes a built in computer that downloads a track program combined with a GPS that steers the car around the track by itself. :) Great driving Chris, and again, thanks for the tips. I'll get any photos I have posted within the week, as soon as my laptop and camera dry out,

Pete S.

cobrabitn
03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh, I had a blast! After you guys left Saturday, Chris Retz and I were at it in the rain with Mike's Porsche and my 94 Cobra on Sunday. We were battling it out on the track and I never thought running in the rain could be so much fun.

I hope you guys will make the VIR event, it will be a lot of fun believe me. Let Mark know we are looking forward to him coming to more events and he's welcome to join the club officially.

I have pics of Mark on track and I'll post them later. I'm not sure if I have you in any but I might. I'll post the Vette pics as well.

cobrabitn
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Pete,

Some gentleman called me today wanting to run with us at VIR. He said he knew you and he owns a 2005 Ford GT race car and a Shelby GT 500 and was wanting to join the club. I didn't catch his name, do you know who I am talking about?

Pete S.
03-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Tony,

Yes, I know him. Just not certain which one called you. Could be Jim, Rick, Martin or a few others. Can you give me a hint?

Pete S.

I finally started resizing some of those photo's.

cobrabitn
03-16-2009, 11:33 PM
All I know is he has a Ford GT and a Shelby GT 500. I think he works with appliances or something because when I tried to call him back, the message was talking about warranties on appliances. :scratch:

GRAY5.0
03-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Oh, I had a blast! After you guys left Saturday, Chris Retz and I were at it in the rain with Mike's Porsche and my 94 Cobra on Sunday. We were battling it out on the track and I never thought running in the rain could be so much fun.

I hope you guys will make the VIR event, it will be a lot of fun believe me. Let Mark know we are looking forward to him coming to more events and he's welcome to join the club officially.

I have pics of Mark on track and I'll post them later. I'm not sure if I have you in any but I might. I'll post the Vette pics as well.

Tony, that was great fun on Sunday. I think Mike had as much fun riding as I did driving. It was a nice change being the fastest car on track instead of the slowest in the Matrix. Even in the dry Mike and I are usually at a disadvantage running street tires. I need to thank Mike again for letting me abuse his car time and time again. I will admit the electronics on that car are phenomenal. I don't think it would have let me drive the car off the track if I tried, and I was trying hard.

Pete, hopefully we will have better weather at VIR and I will be able to get another ride in your car, and see what it is really capable of. I admire you for even putting that beautiful car on track, and even more so for doing it in the weather we had.

I look forward to seeing pictures.

Can't wait for VIR.

Chris

Pete S.
03-17-2009, 10:46 AM
All I know is he has a Ford GT and a Shelby GT 500. I think he works with appliances or something because when I tried to call him back, the message was talking about warranties on appliances. :scratch:I will guess Jim as his company specializes in Microwave Technology, including the industrial retail, thin films, and medical applications.

I'll find out for sure.

Chris, cannot thank you enough for the pointers, instruction, and patience. From riding with Mike to me were totally both ends of the clock, at least on Saturday. I did start picking up the pace on Sunday.

Pete S.

Tony, Jim just e-mailed me back and said it was he. Quite a good addition to the group if he makes the events; a ton of experience.

cobrabitn
03-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Chris,

I bet you wish you had some video at turn 5, eh? :rotf:

Thanks for the tips on turn 12/13 and turn 1, it was very helpful.

See you at VIR! :bounce:

cobrabitn
03-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Here are some of the photos I took. These are not the best as it was hard to snap photos while the cars were in motion.

cobrabitn
03-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Here are some more...

cobrabitn
03-18-2009, 12:06 AM
more...

cobrabitn
03-18-2009, 12:06 AM
And of course...Vernon! :)

GRAY5.0
03-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Chris,

I bet you wish you had some video at turn 5, eh? :rotf:

Thanks for the tips on turn 12/13 and turn 1, it was very helpful.

See you at VIR! :bounce:

Tony,

I wish I had video of the whole weekend, but especially that session catching/ chasing you.

I am glad the pointers helped, hopefully they will translate into the dry as well.

Chris

Pete S.
03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Finally got around to my photo's of the CMP event; many repeats of what has been displayed. On page 133, 4 short vids of the event.

http://home.comcast.net/~fordgtofmaryland/a001.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~fordgtofmaryland/a133.htm

Pete S.

cobrabitn
03-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Very good Pete! I like the video of me in the rain! :thumbsup:

johnbasf
03-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Was Parkway Ford a sponsor this year??

Will someone please pm or e-mail me the answer. Thanks

cobrabitn
03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
They did not sponsor but I never called them. I thought about getting them to sponsor the VIR event since it is a bigger event and they would get more exposure there.

johnbasf
03-24-2009, 09:39 PM
They did not sponsor but I never called them. I thought about getting them to sponsor the VIR event since it is a bigger event and they would get more exposure there.

Don't they sponsor something every year with the $2500 they give the club???

P.S. If you want to e-mail me with your answer that's cool.