PDA

View Full Version : Split S/C belt

2004MystiSVT
01-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Mine split down the middle...it was put on the car when I upgraded the pulleys a year and 3 months ago...what would cause that...or is it just normal wear & tear & belt life? Just curious since I am learning to do more hands on work on my car...

jimmysidecarr
01-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Mine split down the middle...it was put on the car when I upgraded the pulleys a year and 3 months ago...what would cause that...or is it just normal wear & tear & belt life? Just curious since I am learning to do more hands on work on my car...

What is your pulley combination?
Approximately how many miles accumulated?

Belt slip perhaps? A bad belt?(what brand was it?) :scratch:

2004MystiSVT
01-27-2009, 05:50 PM
What is your pulley combination?
Approximately how many miles accumulated?

Belt slip perhaps? A bad belt?(what brand was it?) :scratch:I have a 4lb lower and 2.93" upper....maybe 22,000 miles since install

I know that I did have some slipage (sp?) I believe the belt came from O'Reilly...not sure of the brand anymore.

I have a new belt on right now and ordered a gator back belt so once that comes in I will switch them & keep the new one as back up just in case...

03 cobra toy
01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
I have a 4lb lower and 2.93" upper....maybe 22,000 miles since install

I know that I did have some slipage (sp?) I believe the belt came from O'Reilly...not sure of the brand anymore.

I have a new belt on right now and ordered a gator back belt so once that comes in I will switch them & keep the new one as back up just in case...

I would pass on the gater back !! They have the most slippage... Get a Gates

jimmysidecarr
01-28-2009, 07:11 PM

I concure.

Gates are very good belts. Napa belts are Gates, and many parts stores also carry Gates.

2004MystiSVT
01-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Ok correction....the original belt I had on there was a goodyear gator back...it was what I was told (by Lightning Force Performance) to get with the pulley kits I ordered...also told it would nearly eliminate slippage.

Anyway, I closely inspected it and to me it seems odd the way the belt is worn....aside from the section that is split. All around the belt there are various spots where the little "teeth" (if you will) have a worn off or even chewed of appearance.

Gator Back order has been cancelled...the new belt that I have on there happens to be a Napa Gates belt as you guys suggest.

The problem now is that it squeaks horribly at start, idle, acceleration & deceleration. The loudest at acceleration & deceleration. What is this problem? A pulley? The tensioner?

Blownsvtlightning
01-31-2009, 03:10 PM

no slippage from my GB and running 15lbs boost... I know its not a cobra but should still apply. make sure you hvae the upper pulley on the snout of the blower all the way.. if it is off slightly it can chew up a belt over time.