PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Bearings

Exposed
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
I am hearing a roar from the front of my Cobra, especially when slow spped braking... Is the bearings on the front packable or sealed??? I am assuming that is a sealed unit and will cost a bunch....
thanks

Andy M
03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Are you getting a pulsating sensation on your brake pedal when you press on the brakes? if one of your wheel bearings went out, it will feel like you have a warped rotor. Additionally, your caliper will be rubbing the crap out of your rotor disc and will wear a major groove in it.

If you have not ever changed your bearings, it is probably time. I would certainly change both sides if you do change them.

let us know what you find out?

Exposed
03-05-2009, 01:39 PM
It is not a warp rotor or at least I don't think.. I have not jacked it up yet to see... At speeds of 10-40 mph or so, I can hear a growling sound like a bearing up front. If you get on the brakes, easy or hard, it just makes it a little louder... I will look at it this weekend but I think all the new vehicles have gone to seal bearings so they are not serviceable.

puzzle13
03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
When you jack up the front of the car, before you take off the tires, grab the top & bottom of the tire and try to move it back and forth. If there is no movement then they are okay. If you get noticable movement back and forth then they need to be replaced. Very easy to do and not too expensive. I do this about once every year due to my open track habit. Go to Auto Zone and they will give you the option of two types, one $60.00 and one $80.00. I use the more expensive one ... it carries a one year warranty, and you don't have to replace both, but it usually is best to if you have higher mileage. All you need to change is a small thin screwdriver or something to pry off the cover without ruining it and a large socket (1 3/16" + I think) to remove the nut that holds them on. Remember to remove the cotter pin! When reinstalling, don't tighten the bolt with too much force or you will damage. They just need to be snug. They probably could be repacked, we tried, but it doesn't work too well.

Exposed
03-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Sounds good... Will do and thanks for a head up....

cobrapace94
03-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Does the noise get louder or quiter when you turn? If so, it is the front bearings. The front bearings are sealed and need to be torqued to 250 or so.

Andy M
03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
I changed mine on a regular basis when I owned the 2000 R. With the right tools, it is not that involved. As others have mentioned, they are in fact sealed units, so they must be replaced when they are blown.

Good luck with this and keep us posted.

Exposed
03-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Ofcourse, my luck, auto parts store only had one side and ordered the other one. Went home and jacked up, had a little movement side to side, but not much up and down.. Decided to change anyway. The spindle nuts were a pain to get off. What a piece of crap for securing the front spindle nut :(... For decades we have had one nut and a cotter key to secure the front spindle. The engineer at Ford should be shot for such a stupid way of doing it... It had 3 thin (maybe 1/8"thk) nuts back to back with a one time lock that rolls over these nut when tight. To remove, you have to destroy to get off. So spent about hour running to Autoparts stores looking for a replacement. It is called a one time spindle nut... Everyone could get one but would have to order.. Finally the last place I went had a full size self locking nut that replaces this mickey mouse setup... Anyway, got one side done and still have the roar.. Will get the other side today and see if that is it.... If not, I am not for sure what it come be... I replaced tie rod ends so not for sure where the movement is coming from....
Will continue this evening.....

Exposed
03-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Well after changing both, no change in roaring.. Although I think that it is really coming from the rear and not the front now... Last year Ford replaced the entire 3rd member. It has been noisy since then and I believe it may be the culprit. One thing I did not like was the excess in backlash when it was replaced. With the Delrin bushings in the back, the clack is really noticeable. I think at this point, I will just drive it until it breaks....

On top of that, yesterday coming home, Cobra died going down the freeway.. Got off and started looking at it, and realized the CAI had come off in the fender... My son-in-law and I changed our CAI to the one that is mounted inside the fender weld. My son-in-law has already had this happen to him and that was why I figured what happened.. So, this setup will be replaced very soon... I have not liked this setup since day one (about a year ago).... Don't know if anyone else has had this issue....

XyX
03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I believe my rear bearing it out, I've yet to jack up the car and give the wheel the a good jiggle. But I am hearing a considerable click, grinding noise from the right rear part of my car.

cfradam
03-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I believe my rear bearing it out, I've yet to jack up the car and give the wheel the a good jiggle. But I am hearing a considerable click, grinding noise from the right rear part of my car.
hopefully its just a loose axel nut like mine. I never had a grinding noise though,(bad sign) good luck

Adam