PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Tire Advice/Suggestions (1999 SVT Cobra)

billystick
03-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi, I used to run Goodrich's, but a couple years ago I had some money problems, so I let a tire guy talk me into Federal 595's (CDN$600 mounted and balanced). I was amazed at how well they performed (better then my previous Goodrich's), so I bought another set when it was time. I have had nothing but problems with the 2nd set (losing air randomly...lots of air, etc.), so I am off the cheapies.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I would like a decent set of rubber that won't give me the headaches of the Federal's (I store my car in the winter as I am in Canada and it has been a huge pain in the arse having to borrow an air tank every couple weeks to put in air in the 2 problematic tires...the other two don't lose air it seems).

I may go back to the Goodrich's, but I thought I would see what other suggestions ppl might have. I am running on the stock 17" SVT rims (245/45/17) and, while I like a nice looking tire, the last two winters have destroyed the roads up here, so I don't want to go too low-profile as my rims will get dinged on the potholes they likley won't fix til July. (I liked the Federal's for this reason...they were a little chunkier)

Thanks in advance!

cobrabitn
03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Cooper Zeons - great ride quality and grip on the street.

tazzracing1
03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I have to agree with Tony great tire for the price and I know a few have used them for track duty.

69fastback
03-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I have a 1999 cobra as well. About one year ago i got into racing autocross. I started out with slicks and then moved to some cheap Sumitomos HTR Z (about 66 dollars a tire). I've had these tires for about half a year now and there is not a problem with them. They hold air and the grip quality is fairly descent (nothing like slicks though). After several autocross events they still have plenty of tread left. (These tires are on our racing rims so they dont get alot of street time)

The stock tires that came on your care were the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season. They run about 150 dollars and we have had no problems with them (There on our stock rims that we use for daily driving). They are always at a constant pressure and they seem to last awhile, depending on how you drive.

Personally, i would go with the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Search on Craigslist and try to find some used ones. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

crawdaddy
03-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi just wondering which Cooper Zeons ypur talking about....tire barn priced me the ZPT for $110 a piece and includes everything is the ZPT a good one?? later Dave

Z_Drifter_87
04-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I have a 1999 cobra as well. About one year ago i got into racing autocross. I started out with slicks and then moved to some cheap Sumitomos HTR Z (about 66 dollars a tire). I've had these tires for about half a year now and there is not a problem with them. They hold air and the grip quality is fairly descent (nothing like slicks though). After several autocross events they still have plenty of tread left. (These tires are on our racing rims so they dont get alot of street time)

The stock tires that came on your care were the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season. They run about 150 dollars and we have had no problems with them (There on our stock rims that we use for daily driving). They are always at a constant pressure and they seem to last awhile, depending on how you drive.

Personally, i would go with the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Search on Craigslist and try to find some used ones. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

As far as these HTRZ tires being so cheap, what size is that?? And Where exactly do i find them??? Thanks

revtech
05-02-2009, 12:43 AM
i can get you just about any tire you want and if your in toronto im only an hour away from you

69fastback
05-02-2009, 09:50 PM
As far as these HTRZ tires being so cheap, what size is that?? And Where exactly do i find them??? Thanksthere the standard tire size for the 1999 cobra (245/45-17)

i think i saw the prices on tirerack.com, not for sure yet

69fastback
05-02-2009, 09:52 PM
i can get you just about any tire you want and if your in toronto im only an hour away from youdo you own a tire shop ???????

revtech
05-03-2009, 09:12 AM
i own a auto repair shop i can get alot of different tires if you know what your looking for let me know and see what i can do for you