PDA

View Full Version : F-150 SVT Raptor Event

JoeJ
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Guys,

I received an invite from Neil Hepburn with SVT to attend a special showing of the F-150 SVT Raptor at the Houston Stockshow & Rodeo the morning of March 21. There are still spots available. See attached e-mail from Neil. Give him a call or e-mail and come down Saturday Morning.
Joe:

Quote:

We finally have the Houston event squared away… sorry for the date change, but we hope this works better for all.

We’re on for 9am meeting on Saturday, March 21 at the Main Gate of the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. Details are attached.

Please let me know if you’ll still be able to attend. We’ve got additional slots available, so feel free to bring some buddies. Simply drop me a note with their names & contact info.

On behalf of Team Raptor, we look forward to seeing you there,

Neil

XPERIENCE COMMUNICATIONS (DETROIT)
3 PARKLANE BLVD | SUITE 701W | DEARBORN MI 48126
nhepburn@xperience-det.com
313.271.3500 | main
313.271.0676 | direct

313.271.3800 | fax

313.617.0817 | mobile

97CasperCobra
03-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Joe, thanks for posting this. I would LOVE to attend, I will also be going Sat night to the Brooks & Dunn concert. I'm very interested in the Raptor.... :thumbsup:

Blownsvtlightning
03-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Joe, thanks for posting this. I would LOVE to attend, I will also be going Sat night to the Brooks & Dunn concert. I'm very interested in the Raptor.... :thumbsup:

still any spots available?

69fastback
03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I was at the rodeo on wednesday and already saw the truck. Looks really cool.

Got a free poster:thumbsup:

cobrabitn
03-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Joe,

Photos and a short write up for the newsletter would be nice! :D

Andy M
03-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Folks,

Joe Johnson and I went to this special SVT "invitation only" event at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo yesterday morning. SVT did a great job and made us feel very welcomed. They had catered breakfast (wonderful breakfast tacos) with OJ and coffee. At about 9:30, one of the SVT boys from Dearborn took the microphone and proceeded to give us a history lesson on how the Raptor came about.

About 3 years ago, the SVT guys were pondering what kind of truck to produce. They immediately thought of the Lightning, but quickly dismissed it because they did not want to revisit such a successful vehicle again. They also discussed possibly reincarnating the old Bronco. Again, they decided this was not meant to be. They instead discussed and decided that they would try to do a totally different kind of truck - one that no other manufacturer had attempted before - a production off road truck (with the emphasis on OFF ROAD!). The Raptor concept was born! :thumbsup:

The goal was to produce a vehicle with enough suspension travel (this thing has a whopping 11" of articulation travel in front and over 12" in the rear!!!! :eek: ) They used FOX Racing shocks (see the pic I took of the rear shocks) They wanted to make a truck which could be driven on the road and be comfortable, but one you could take off roading and not embarrass yourself. They quickly built a prototype built mostly from as many off the shelf components as possible from the production F-150. However, this truck needed some modifications to the frame rails and is also a whopping 7" wider than a stock F-150. Special suspension components are added in and 4.10 gears are loaded in the rear end. You can selectively turn off traction control, ABS, and all other safety features if/when you want to go off road. One of the test engineers told Joe and I he had taken this particular truck (which has the larger 6.2 liter V8 - 400 HP) airborne at over 100 mph in the Nevada desert. THey took the truck to the Baja for the Baja 1000 in 2007 and won 8 out of 9 possible awards. Last year in 2008, they took all 9 awards.

Here are some pics I snapped ..... I think Joe was smitten by this thing and I would not be a bit surprised if we don't see him towing the R with one of these as soon as they go to production - which is this summer. Plans are to introduce it first with a 5.4L with 320 HP and 390 lb/ft of torque. Later on in the November timeframe, they will introduce the bad boy with the 6.2L 400 HP and 400 lb/ft engine.

Andy M
03-22-2009, 11:41 PM
a few more pics....

JoeJ
03-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Andy and I had a great time at the SVT Raptor Event. They also had a new SHO Taurus at the event. I will attach a couple pictures of it. It has a V-6 Twin Turbo engine with 365 HP. Looks nice for a family car.

Twice Bitten
03-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Nice! :thumbsup: I wish they would stop trying to get me to part with what little $$$$$ I have left ;)