PDA

View Full Version : You know you are getting old when...

Admiral
05-14-2009, 07:07 AM
You are looking to trade in your Mustang on a Grand Marquis lol. Yes kids, time to get rid of the 06 GT daily driver for something more, ahem, stately. Mercury Grand Marquis, the panther platform, $5000 off msrp from Ford, has sucked me into the blue hair and Geritol vortex. The pride of those who remember Pearl Harbor and want to spit on the ground when it is mentioned but were taught better than to spit in public.

To quote my 12 yr old son: "I don't even know you anymore, Dad." I have to admit, son, sometimes I don't even recognize myself these days.

Next up, AARP registration lol. :D

JoeJ
05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Mike,

Come on. This doesn't sound like the guy I have seen on the track kicking my butt. I am the old one, but I still love to hang a car out on a curve and visit with a bunch of guys who love open tracking like I do.

You need to trade that GT off for a new Mustang GT and go have some fun. I had so much fun at Barber. Nothing too serious, just a bunch of friends playing together on the track.

Take care of yourself "OLD MAN", you might need a set of crutches before long..lol..Sorry Mike, I am just pulling your leg.

Joe

97CasperCobra
05-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Take care of yourself "OLD MAN", you might need a set of crutches before long..lol..Sorry Mike, I am just pulling your leg.
Joe, don't pull too hard, you may dislocate a knee or hip!!!! :p

You're not that old Mike....I've thought about getting the Marauder myself for a daily driver. I'd love to have an automatic with enough power to make a quick freeway on-ramp, but still have a decent ride.

Larry95
05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Mike, I agree with Joe J, there's a lot of us older than you are but we still like to do those young things. I also had a ball at Barbers last month. You need to hurry up and get that pushrod Cobra on the track with us. I need some more people to give point by's to. Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with an engine builder talking about a 347 Dart short block. Time to get serious.

cobrabitn
05-14-2009, 09:36 PM
You're only as old as you feel...my wife says I am still a teenager because I still act like one. My body says otherwise!! :D

Admiral
05-15-2009, 04:06 AM
I'll still do the track day thing on weekends when I get time, you are right I need to finish up the 95 track toy and get more time out racing the Spec Miata also. For the daily driver however the Mustang has to go, wife says she hates riding in it and I am starting to want something bigger and with 4 doors (there's that old age deal lol).

I've been driving some Crown Vics at work and have to admit I like the ride on long trips. My step dad has a Marauder, nice car and he likes it alot. Guess I can start shopping for dentures next! :D

Twice Bitten
05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Guess I can start shopping for dentures next! :D

And an electric wheelchair! :p

jimmysidecarr
05-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a previous gen (worm and sector steering, no coil overs) 2002 Grand Marquis LSE.

All of this is factory on this car:
Power pkg, handling pkg, factory duals, 327 gears, traction control, ABS, Leather buckets w/ floor shift in center console, rear air springs, Mark 8 torque converter, police sway bars and more!

One of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven, yet if you KICK IT,
It goes quite nicely. It actually handles quite well too.

Can't go wrong with one of these cars, the durability is insane.

Mine is my daily driver, the Cobra is my fun car.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope you are treated well, and get the car you want.

BTW We have the Grand Marquis versions (Northwood Lincoln Mercury 281-539-4900) If you stop by to shop tell them that Jim (in parts) is a friend of yours from the SVT Cobra club.

Good choice Mike! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I have an F-250 Diesel for the comfort and it is comfortable and talk about room!! It gets decent mileage, between 18.5 to 19.5 mpg. Rides great, and it's a 4 door so family and friends can easily fit in especially with 6 cup holders. If you never thought about a truck, you might want to consider that and besides, you can tow your track toy and haul other domestic duty things in the bed like flowers... :rotf:

Did I mention that Diesel F-250's can get chipped and run in the 12's in the 1/4 mile? :D Try 425 hp with over 700 ft lbs of torque. :thumbsup:

Admiral
05-16-2009, 06:38 AM
I appreciate the suggestion but I've already got a 2004 F-250 Supercrew FX4 that I bought new - mine only gets about 17 mpg. I've had it in the shop way too many times to be a dependable daily driver though, left me on the side of the road coming over La Veta Pass in Colorado with my race car trailer full of 4 wheelers. I had to use some creek water from a nearby stream to refill the radiator, I then hauled butt to the nearest Ford dealer where the truck (and trailer with my toys in it) spent the next 4 days getting the heads removed and the EGR cooler replaced. What really steamed me (haha, I made a funny) was that I had the truck in the shop the month before for the same thing here in Texas and supposedly it had all been fixed - yeah right.

I'm looking for that "starts everytime" car and is comfortable to drive all over Texas and is pretty cheap - I'm getting quotes for new in the $22,500 range on a $30k sticker so the depreciation hit won't be that bad from that low of a starting point I think. I'll keep the 95 Cobra to play on track days, this is only a change for the daily commuter car.

Twice Bitten
05-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Here is what you need! Fun and comfortable! :thumbsup:
http://www.automobilemag.com/new_and_future_cars/2010/0902_2010_ford_taurus_SHO/index.html

cobrabitn
05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately 2003-2005 were not good years for an F250. So far with 67K miles on my truck, it hasn't left me stranded and it starts everyday when I go to work, 60 miles round trip daily.

The Fusion looks really good to but I don't know the prices on them..

Admiral
05-17-2009, 09:22 AM
And an electric wheelchair! :p

Too tempting to upgrade the wheels and suspension and go racin lol.

Mrs TwiceBitten
05-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Too tempting to upgrade the wheels and suspension and go racin lol.
The MOD disease is a horrible thing to have!:rolleyes:

Admiral
06-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Pulled the trigger last night after window shopping for weeks. Went down to Jimmy's shop, Northwood Lincoln Mercury, and got a slightly used 09 Grand Marquis for a pretty good price. Nice folks down there, I recommend them over some of the other dealerships I've been visiting with lately.

jimmysidecarr
06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Mike CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I love theses cars! I have an old 02 LSE that I just cannot believe something this big gets up and goes and handles like it does!

I think you will love driving that car! :thumbsup: COMFORT CENTRAL!!!!

Admiral
06-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Got the windows tinted yesterday with the AARP discount, now I can cruise up and down the freeway in style! :rotf: