PDA

View Full Version : How to get that cruddy mildew off your convertible top

cobrabitn
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Today, I did something to see if it would work. I was tired of seeing that mildew look on my vinyl top on my 94 so I used "goo gone" on it and it took all of the mildew off the top. I didn't get all of it but will probably go back over it a couple of times to get the rest of it off. However, it got the majority off and next will be some Zaino vinyl dressing to put back on it.

A couple of recommendations on how to get it off.

1. Spray a mist of Goo-Gone on a wet top.
2. Use a clean wet brush to brush the top in circles
3. Do not bear down on the top
4. Use some warm soap water to go over it
5. Rinse thoroughly two to three times

I'm going to put another application on it to see what it does but it definitely cleaned the top. After I do that, I'll add Zaino vinyl dressing to complete the process.

Sorry, I do not have any before and after pics, you'll just have to take my word for it. :)

nckissfan
05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
so, the stuff down in the little holes came out? I need to try that.

cobrabitn
05-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes, the stuff down in the little holes came out. I looked at the top again today and it looked great, almost brand new. Again, I'm going to fine tooth clean it and then put the Zaino on the top. It will make a world of difference! :thumbsup:

nckissfan
05-20-2009, 07:45 AM
cool, i never thought of using goo gone. That stuff is good for getting all sorts of stuff off of furniture.

nckissfan
05-23-2009, 06:39 AM
It didn't work for me. :( Oh well, I have tried just about everything that I can think of, I guess I will have to live with it, until I can find the money to replace it.

Philcsag1
05-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Is it really Mildew?

cobrabitn
05-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I checked it again today and it worked great especially taking the dirt off. I guess it is mildew, or at least it looks like it. :doubt:

Bottom line, my top is now clean and looks better than ever. :thumbsup:

Mike, there has to be something to get that stuff off your top. :scratch:

nckissfan
05-24-2009, 07:19 AM
I even let it sit on the top for a good 10-15 minutes, just to see if it would work in real good. I think it is mildew, or at least dirt. There are a lot of black spots all over the top, I figured it was mildew.