PDA

View Full Version : Jim Morrissey Update

jimmysidecarr
09-26-2009, 05:21 PM
I wanted to let all of you know that Jim is once again in the hospital. At about 4 am Friday he tripped over Doyle (the golden) and fell smack on his face. I called 911 immediately but before they arrived he had begun vomiting large amounts of blood. Got him to Houston NW and it was very touch and go - to the point that they said I needed to go in and say my good-byes - which I promptly said no and this was not going to happen and this was not his time - AND it wasn't. From the moment we got there I told every single person I spoke to they were to begin the process of transferring him to St. Luke's the moment he was stable for transport and he was brought to the ICU at St. Luke's early Friday evening. Everyone here was prepared for him and jumped into action immediately. He is intubated as a precaution to avoid damage to his lungs and has had numerous, numerous doctors and tests to check him from top to bottom, inside & out. The bleeding seems to have stopped and the numbers that need to rise are rising, and the numbers that need to drop are dropping. The doctor's assessment is, this was from a busted vessel in his nose or mouth from the fall on the face and some other minor mouth injuries - and for one with low platelettes and clotting issues - the heavy bleeding would not be unusual. He is to have a CT Scan this afternnon and some facial XRays to look for small nasal fractures. As long as he continues to do as well as he has, they will extubate (remove breathing tube) tomorrow or Monday. Although heavily sedated, he is coming out a bit - briefly opend his eyes and I KNOW he saw me ! Yeah ! The surgeon will see him tomorrow to determine his ability for surgery and then continue to aggressively work toward transplant - as this was not massive internal damage as originally thought. SO GRATEFUL FOR THAT!!! He cannot have any calls in this room and I don't know when he will be moved to the special floor like he was on last time, but I will let you know when I know more. Your calls have really lifted his spirits and I thank you so much for your love and concern for Jim. You are a great encouragement and support to him and getting back into the swing of it with the club is such an incentive for him - he often says he CAN'T WAIT to get back out there with you guys !!! Please feel free to call and I will relay your well wishes to him until he is able to use the phone himself. Please continue to pray for Jim and his family - many of mine were answered yesterday !
- Gail
:thumbsup:

93KingCobra
09-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Gail,
That was not what I expected to read when you said update...I was hoping for better news..

We will pray for Jimmy and for a speedy recovery....

Tell him we miss him a whole lot over here and can't wait for him to get to get his transplant...

Phillip & Michelle

JBoden
09-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Our hearts are with you as this works it's way through.

JBoden
09-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Everyone,

I've attached the link to St Luke's so you can send Jimmy and Gail an e-mail at the hospital.

https://www.sleh.com/sleh/SectionSecured/index.cfm?pagename=Send%20an%20eGreeting&PageMD=Families%20and%20Visitors

I know these really meant alot when I was in St Lukes back in January so let's keep those volunteer's busy and let Jimmy know how much we need him back in action.

:D :D

JBoden
09-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I forgot to tell you - he is in ICU at the moment, 7 South 3, Rm # 7308

SuperG
09-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Gail, please tell Jimmy "HELLO" form Gary!! I'll see you guys in early November!!

Andy M
09-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Gail,

Please let Jimmy know his extended SCMC family are all praying for him and yourself during this most trying time. Take care of him and please continue to keep us posted as you are able to. And please do not hesitate to reach out to any of us if you need anything.

ORANGE CRUSH
09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Gail,

Please let Jimmy know his extended SCMC family are all praying for him and yourself during this most trying time. Take care of him and please continue to keep us posted as you are able to. And please do not hesitate to reach out to any of us if you need anything.

That's right Gail - ANYTHING. Just let us know.

My number is in the Houston contact list.

Todd

Twice Bitten
09-28-2009, 12:38 PM
My number is in the Houston contact list.

Todd

I thought your number was 713-222-TIPS :D

kencobra
09-29-2009, 11:06 PM
I went to see Jimmy and Gail today and visited for a little more than an hour. Gail said that they pulled his breathing tube yesterday and soon after Jimmy began speaking and asking for something to drink and ice cream. Jimmy needs to get some weight back on him, he is down to approx 140 lbs. It sounds like most of his labs are coming back up towards a normal range but there is still a long way to go. Gail said that his Meld score is 37. This score determines how urgently a patient needs a liver transplant, the more urgent the higher you are moved up the list with 40 being the highest and 6 being the lowest. While I was there the nurse came in and said that they were moving Jimmy to a regular telemetry floor, so his new room is on the 7th floor room 725. We all had a good visit and I asked Jimmy and Gail if there was anything I could do for them. They said me visiting was the bright spot of their day. I asked Jimmy if there was anything he wanted to me to tell the club for him and he said " I am hanging in there".

If anyone gets a chance to visit Jimmy while he is in the hospital I know it would really make his day.

Ken

Firme
09-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the update Ken. Its great to hear that the labs are coming back up towards normal.

97CasperCobra
09-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I was thinking of going down to see Jimmy this weekend if anyone wants to go with me. PM me if you want to go. :thumbsup:

kencobra
09-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the update Ken. Its great to hear that the labs are coming back up towards normal.
From what I understood some of the labs are better than when he he was admitted this time, but others are still out of whack. Lets pray that a liver comes his way soon so he can get back to his old self.

93KingCobra
10-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Lets pray that a liver comes his way soon so he can get back to his old self.

AMEN..

03 cobra toy
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Sorry I missed this.

We are all pulling for you Jimmy !! Stay strong and get well.

xtc4u
10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Stay tough Jimmy! We are thinking about you and wishing for the best.

I am always reminded of Jimmy everyday because I have several SCMC Track Day Pics hung through out my house. Think Jimmy and his Cobra are in about half of them. Let's keep that good news coming in!:thumbsup:

gtdrivr
10-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Again, I have been gone for a while.

This was a very scary story to read for me. If I didnt already know that things are looking up, I probably would have lost it.

I just buried another friend of mine last Wed.

He had advanced leukemia, but didn't know it.

His story is eerily similar. He was wakeboarding and was hit in the face with the board. He sustained facial injuries. The bleeding wouldnt stop, and he had a massive headache. When they got him to the hospital, his platelet count was SEVEN. They couldn't do surgery. He died 3 days later. He was 29.

Get better, Jimmy. I can't handle any more bad news.