PDA

View Full Version : Stock Cobra Air Intake

bbrence
10-19-2009, 12:29 AM
I just re-installed a C&L intake pipe, along with a K&N FIPK. I noticed there is a circular screen with approx 1/4" holes in it that is attached to the Mass Air meter in the stock setup. I did not re-install that screen when I installed the FIPK. What is the purpose of the screen, and should I re-install it?

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs205.snc1/7235_1189374290683_1118128287_30636450_2165050_n.jpg

bbrence
10-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Wow....nobody knows or nobody cares..............

cobrabitn
10-21-2009, 10:55 PM
:scratch:

ORANGE CRUSH
10-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I have an 04 and I did not have a screen in mine. I did have a 93 that had a screen and I did take it out. I always assumed Ford put it in to catch very large particals that could some how get by.

Nice and clean engine bay by the way.:thumbsup:

bbrence
10-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks......I try to keep it reasonably clean all the time, BUT I did do some extra cleaning before I took the photo. :)

The "screen" is basically a round metal disk with holes in it, in a round plastic frame. Fits between the mass air meter and the filter enclosure in the stock setup.....almost like a gasket. I can't imagine what purpose it has....nothing that big is going to get past the air filter. It has to slightly reduce airflow through the mass air meter.....maybe that is necessary for some reason. I wish someone could enlighton me.

We must think alike. I had a '93 GT. I loved it. Drove it from new for 10 years. Funny it was rated at 205hp I think.......I suspect the real hp was closer to 250-275. It was way too quick for 200hp at that weight.

white_03_snake
10-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Ford installs the screen in the factory MAF sensor in their attempt to straighten the air flow that crosses the heated wire in the sensor... It is a crude band aid attempt on their part to make all the cars run on the same factory tune. It is not necessary to reinstall this screen when you change to a cold air kit or if you just want to remove it for fun and use it as a flour sifter because thats all its good for ;)

RF Cobra
10-25-2009, 12:42 AM
I don't remember mine having a screen in it either when I installed the JLT RAI.

bbrence
10-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Ford installs the screen in the factory MAF sensor in their attempt to straighten the air flow that crosses the heated wire in the sensor... It is a crude band aid attempt on their part to make all the cars run on the same factory tune. It is not necessary to reinstall this screen when you change to a cold air kit or if you just want to remove it for fun and use it as a flour sifter because thats all its good for ;)
Thanks. I was a bit worried that I was screwing up the tune......running too lean, etc. I know just enough to be dangerous. LOL

ausie
03-16-2010, 07:51 AM
I have the screen too, but for some reason, I believe it is attached to the factory air box and not the MAF. I will be taking it apart sometime this week to install a JLT RAI kit when it comes in. The screen is not the best to provide laminar air flow, but it will slow down air flow a bit by creating eddie currents before the MAF sensor, or in other words it acts like a diffuser (based on thermodynamic theory). I am uncertain if the screen is really necessary and if there was an ulterior motive to its use. Perhaps since Ford installs paper filters, which do not last long if they get wet. Also a common nesting material used by rodents when they make a home in your intake. Not sure what a mouse would do to your supercharger or throttle body if it got sucked into the engine when you go to start it up, more than likely the mouse would be extruded throught the IAC. Most aftermarket filters are build with steel screens on the outside and inside to keep the shape (but it does not serve the same purpose).

I would say remove the screen if it does not fit. Most aftermarket kits require that the screen be removed.

ausie
03-17-2010, 05:27 AM
When I took my OE air intake apart, the screen was in the factory air box.

I did not reuse it with the JLT RAI kit.