PDA

View Full Version : driveling noise

Blackstone
11-17-2009, 02:26 PM
I need help in identifying a noise coming up through the tunnel/firewall area. Sounds like low lever radio stattic and it is not from the radio. It is either a clutch or transmission noise and is constant. Car is 03 Cobra with 13K miles.

ausie
02-23-2010, 12:23 AM
My aftermarket shifter makes noise. The stock shifter with all of the rubber bushings did not. The noise is similar to what you mention except the sound is not constant since it varies in intensity and frequency depending on what gear the trans is in. Had to change the exhaust back to the SLP loudmouth (went back to original exhaust due to complaint from wife) so I did not have to hear the whine and noise from the shifter. The loud exhaust helped with the other issue too. :cool:

Does the noise change under load or is it only heard when the transmission is out of gear? If only when trans is out of gear, it could be the clutch disk or throw out bearing. Check for any debris dragging from the bottom of the vehicle. It could also be the bendix gear from the starter if it is making contact to the flywheel.

Blackstone
02-24-2010, 12:41 PM
my suspicion is that whatever kind of insulating material around the area has disappeared, however the car is in cold storage for another month. Then I will get into it.