PDA

View Full Version : Power adder; Turbo or Supercharger

94Cobra97
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM
I was planning on adding a supercharger to my '97 Cobra at some point this year. My mechanic is a big fan of the Squires Turbo System (STS).

So basically I have two questions:

Does anyone have any experience with the STS application?
Why are superchargers the preferred power-adder (even from the factory) when turbo charging does not result in parasitic loss? If I can get 7 pounds of boost with a supercharger and a turbocharger but it takes 75 HP to run the supercharger, isn't the turbo the more efficient option?
Since I'll be stock from the heads down, I'm only looking at 7-8 lbs of boost max. Since the STS universal application costs less than a supercharger and seems to be more efficient, it seems like a no-brainer. That said, it seems like superchargers outnumber turbo's on th street.

Any thoughts / input would be greatly appreciated!

venomnous99
01-21-2010, 07:16 AM
I can not reply on superchargers.

As far as turbo, I went this direction for drivability and seemingly unlimited potential. As for drivability, my car drives like a stock 99 until about 3,000 rpm. I also have the ability to turn it up or down on demand. I ran the car for over 60,000 miles on a completely stock head down car, right at 500 RWHP at 7 psi, with stock car like driving. So I am a fan of turbo, although I have not been privy to the STS system. Good luck.:thumbsup: