PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leaking

silververt
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
First off forgive me for not being very knowledgeable. I change my own oil but i don't work on the car unless I research it and find it isn't too difficult for a novice. I will try to describe it as best i can. I took a video with the iPhone so it is below. There was a signifcant amount of oil in the garage yesterday. The Oil pan is dry all around. The leak looks to be located in the vicinity of where the oil filter plugs in. There is no oil on the filter and it doesn't look like it is coming directly from the filter. On the bottom of the housing where the filter goes it is covered in oil? Any suggestions?

Youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihgr-j104fg

cobrabitn
02-06-2010, 01:16 PM
You probably have two rubber seals on the filter and it is causing the oil to come out from that location. Take the filter back off and see if there are two seals on it, the old one and the new one. If so, remove the filter, take one of the seals out and reinstall the filter and the necessary amount of oil.

puzzle13
02-08-2010, 01:42 AM
It could also be the oil cooler which is at the same location. They tend to seep small amounts at times. They also have gaskets too. See if you have two oil filter orings as Tony said and if not you may have a leak in the oil cooler.

silververt
02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
There is no oil on the filter at all. If it was leaking from there wouldn't I see oil on the filter? What is the possibility that it could be power steering fluid? the resovoir was a tick below low when i checked it this morning. It did not leak another drop all weekend long. I didn't drive it, i only started it and let it run for about 10 mins. It isn't low on oil either. What are the odds it started leaking oil and then stopped?

What kind of power steering fluid should I add in?

ausie
02-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Considering the location of the oil filter, when changing oil and filter, it can be a mess when taking the old filter off. I usually clean off the area's that get used oil on them (power steering rack) after I get the new filter in place. That way if there is an oil leak on from the filter or any other area it can be detected. I would clean off the oil from the parts with either electrical parts cleaner, throttle body cleaner, MAF cleaner or degreaser of some sort. I would not use brake parts cleaner as it may attack the power steering boots. After cleaning it will be much easier to determine where the leak is comming from.