PDA

View Full Version : 18" wheels

Blackstone
02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I have a bone stock 03 tenth anniversary vert.--Black in color with 13k miles
I want to go to 18" wheels--chrome probably. Don't want to modify springs etc. Don't want tires to rub at all. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks

Andy M
02-17-2010, 09:05 AM
AFS is the way to go. I have a set of these on my Terminator and they look great!!! I have the stock look machined (painted grey inserts just like the OEM wheels) rims. I went with staggered sizes. 18X9 in front with Nitto Invo 275/35/18's and 18X10.5 in the rear with Invo 295/35/18's. No rubbing and it looks fabulous!!

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17497

Blackstone
02-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Andy: have you done anything to your suspension or is it totally stock? I don't want to modify the suspension at this time or lower it.

ORANGE CRUSH
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I have the FR500 replicas 18" and I have stock sup.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17410&highlight=myers

1st post has a link for pics.

ausie
02-18-2010, 10:25 AM
If you like the 10th anniversary wheels, I have seen them on latemodelrestoration.com in an 18" size for staggard fitment. 18x9 front, 18x10 rear deep dish. They also have them in 17" but the 17x10.5 may cause issues with the mounting bolts on the IRS frame connectors. Finish comes in black, anthracite, chrome and bronze. As for tire fitment, there are more tires available for the 18" than the 17".

I have a set of BBS RK Plasma's that fit perfectly on the 2004. 18x8.5(f) and 18x10(r) and stock suspension and ride height.

Andy M
02-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Andy: have you done anything to your suspension or is it totally stock? I don't want to modify the suspension at this time or lower it.
My car does not have stock suspension. I have a total Maximum Motorsport suspension system with adjustable coilovers and delrin bushings throughout. All set up for road racing.

My rear tires are VERY close to the IRS but do not rub, and I am not using spacers.

The AFS rims look FABULOUS on my silver Terminator!!! and the Nitto Invos ROCK!! :thumbsup:

ausie
04-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Blackstone,
There are many options for the 18 inch chrome wheels. I have seen many in person that I wished I had opted for. The American Racing Rebel wheels look awesome in chrome with the deep dish rear. They are still a 5 spoke wheel. There are a few you can get mail order ( I would avoid BBS RK Plasma if you could even find them anymore since the chrome like coating will eventually come off). It all depends on what type of style wheel you like. Most of the 18 inch will fit if you get the correct offset and back spacing. I would only consider single cast wheels (typically cost less than multi-piece wheels, as well as the inner wheel seals tend to leak on the multi-piece wheels). There are unlimited options for the multi-piece wheels but they are extremely expensive and may leak air at the seam.

With an 18x10 wheel with 285/35's mounted on them, no rubbing or tire issues at all. I believe the back space on the wheel was +22mm. I do not require wheel spacer or any other modifications to the suspension for proper fit. Fronts are 18x8.5 with 245/40's mounted on them.

With larger tires, there could be issue with IRS sub frame bolt but that can be corrected with the MM bolt which is necessary for 17x10.5 wheels.