PDA

View Full Version : In Car Camera

mcquik
03-14-2010, 11:35 PM
I would like to mount an in car video camera inside my car for the SVT/Superfest in May. Would appreciate any advice on what to get. I thought I saw a place at the track in Oct. where you could rent them, but I never slowed down enough to check it out. I belive I would rather buy one ahead of time, so I will have time to check it out before the event. Thanks, Roger

SuperG
03-15-2010, 11:41 AM
If you don't have a roll-bar, you can get a feaux-bar that mounts across and behind the seats...that would serve as a great mounting point for a camera mount. Regarding a camera, if you want something versatile, get a digital camcorder that you can use for your personal life as well as for the track. I would get one that has a jack for a microphone, which you could place in a non-windy area.

There are also camera mounts that stick to the dash or to the windshield.

mcquik
03-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks Gary. I do have a roll bar, and assumed that was the best mounting position. I am assuming a mini-camcorder?

ausie
03-16-2010, 08:16 AM
For automotive video, you should try to find something light weight. The lower the mass of the video camera, the less amount of movement you will see in the video. I have seen some neat video done on suspension arrangements in the FJCruiser forums. the person used an iPOD Nano. I thought the picture quality was good for a small device.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/picture-media-post/99399-fox-2-5-fronts-new-valving-test.html

SuperG
03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Yeah, like Eric said, light is better, so I have a mini-DV. The mount is as important...I have one that is no longer produced, but there are others...very little vibration because they have a large, plastic/rubber/delrin dampener.

puzzle13
03-19-2010, 01:05 AM
I have a Sony Camcorder that is mounted to the roll bar and can use a remote. I bought the one that records to the hard drive & memory stick. Found out that the vibrations or exhaust note disable the hard drive, but it tapes to memory stick just fine. If you don't buy one prior to May .... let me know and you can borrow mine. I have a different lens for better shots & plenty of battery & memory stick. I hardly ever use mine, so it won't bge a problem. I am thinking of selling it ... just not sure right now.

I would like to mount an in car video camera inside my car for the SVT/Superfest in May. Would appreciate any advice on what to get. I thought I saw a place at the track in Oct. where you could rent them, but I never slowed down enough to check it out. I belive I would rather buy one ahead of time, so I will have time to check it out before the event. Thanks, Roger

Lumpydogs
03-20-2010, 01:03 PM
If you are going to use a standard camcorder type recording device, try to mount the camera as far rearward in the car as possible. The standard camcorders do not have a very wide field of view. The further back you mount camcorder the more windshield you will be able to record.

Mine is mounted where the rear seat back rest was.

see sample vid here: In-Car Video (http://www.vimeo.com/6770446)

mcquik
03-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the good advice. Look forward to seeing you guys at VIR in May.:)