PDA

View Full Version : Rims

99cobra~
03-30-2010, 08:49 PM
my 99 mustang came with 18x10.5" chrome rims. They were pitted when I baught the car and now the chrome is peeling off in many spots. I am wondering if these rims are worth anything? also What size rim do you run on your mustang? I would like to be able to buy a cheaper tire. Why don't they make 16" rims that are 10.5 wide?

Thanks guys!

ausie
04-21-2010, 01:16 PM
It is difficult to see a good image of the wheels. When I make it bigger, the picture blurs. The wheels almost look like Rebel but when zoomed in they start to look like the mustang bullet wheel. Considering the width they are probably the bullet wheel since I do not believe that the AM Rebel came in a 10.5 inch width.

When it comes to chrome plating, it is hit or miss. Many aftermarket wheel manufacturer's may cut corners when it comes to chrome plating. With an aluminum alloy, the metal must be treated with zinc, followed by copper plating, then nickel and a micro plating of chrome. This process has become extremely expensive and not environmentally friendly. I have been looking into having a set of BBS wheels chrome plated, and the cost per wheel is almost more than the cost of the wheel. What I have seen so far is $650 up to $800 per wheel to have them chrome plated. If this is the case, it would be cheaper to buy new ones. Even the cost of powder coating is not cheap, that could run up to $120 per wheel. If the wheels you have on your car are the bullet copies, it would be more conservative to replace the wheel than to try to have them plated or powder coated.