PDA

View Full Version : Door issues? Is this common?

ausie
04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I was just curious to find out if any other mustang owners had issues with the doors popping apart when you close your door on the car. I had issue with the drivers side but not the passenger side. There is a difference in how the steel was folded over on the drivers door compared to the passenger door (other than the mirror orientation of the sheet metal). Has anybody here had this issue with either driver or passenger side doors? If so, how did you fix it?

For some time now, I had issues with the drivers door popping apart at the seam where the outer shell steel folds over the inner shell steel. It was not difficult to snap it back together but it should not fall apart as it did. Finally the tab at the top that holds the window seal in place broke off. :mad: I have tried the epoxy products to fix the damage. To no avail they would not hold up for long. Not long ago I resorted to getting a mig welder and try welding the steel together which did the trick. Only weld as a last resort as this may damage paint on the out side shell. I did three tac welds which secured the two door halves together where the overlap of steel was lacking as well as the torn tab to the inner shell. (actually welded outer, inner and tab with one bead). Someone mentioned on another web site a 3M epoxy adhesive would be the best option.

snakbitn
04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
I have never heard of this happening.Isn't this welded at the factory.

cobrabitn
04-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Ditto......never heard of that problem.

ausie
04-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I posted the same thread in another web forum. It appears that there is an adhesive that is used to attach door skins to the inner door steel. Considering the lack of an overlap at the top of the door sufficient for support as well as may have been lacking any adhesive to bond the outer skin to the inner door steel may have been the reason why I had this issue. The passenger door is solid. At least the welds I made were not overkill. Just three spot welds to secure the metal together.