PDA

View Full Version : steering rack

ausie
04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Just wondering if the steering rack pins were welded in place would this pose any issues later on? I had the bushings, pins and bolts replaced under a TSB some time ago. Now with the fix, the bolts are tight but the rack still moves. If I welded the pins in place (front and rear) on the K-member will this be a problem? I have seen aftermarket K-members with welded tubes that replace the split pins where the mounting bolt passes through and thought that it would not be an issue if I welded the pins in place to prevent them from moving.

Any thought on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric

Andy M
04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
what bushings did you use? have you tried the Maximum Motorsports solid bushings? if you have the stock K member, you will want to do the offset bushings but you will need to adjust the bump steer along with it.

ausie
04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Andy,
I did some research on the bushings. Since I have the stock K-member in place as well as the original ride height. I am considering getting the MM solid aluminum bushings. Since this requires that the sleeve pin to be cut flush with the K-member I can weld the remaining sleeve in place once cut to size and mounted. MM recommends the centered bushings with the cupped circular washer on the inside with no offset.

Andy M
04-19-2010, 01:30 PM
You are right! My bad! I forgot they recommend using the offset bushings only if you have one of their K members in place and not if you still have the stock one in place.

My car has the full Maximum treatment, but I still have the stock K member. I have their coilovers with all delrin custom bushings. Ride is a little rough, but boy does it handle - especially on the track! :thumbsup: :bounce: