PDA

View Full Version : 5th gear grind please help

hondapoison
04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
I have a 1996 cobra, I rebuilt my transmission because I let someone drive the car and they found a way to shear the 1st - 2nd shift plate and the car was stuck in first gear no matter where you put the shifter. Anyway I rebuilt it and put in a center force dual friction clutch and now 5th gear will almost always grind except if i shift at about 34 mph and when I shift from 4th to 5th no matter what speed I am traveling if I press the clutch and hold it until the rpms drop to around 1200 then it will shift completely smooth. any ideas? I saw some posts about the clutch cable adjuster needing to be replaced or that the cf clutch is to thick and requires a longer cable is any of that right is that what I should do? also when I was ordering parts the throw out bearing had 2 listings one said quiet and one said nothing I had never heard of a loud throw out bearing but the one I put in makes a lot of noise until I push in the clutch. should that worry me? oh and I am using mobile 1 synthetic transmission fluid

ausie
04-21-2010, 11:44 AM
If you do not have problems shifting the other gears, I would doubt it is the clutch or throwout bearing. If there were any metal debris in the transmission when you rebuilt it, it may be that 5th gear mesh is out of whack.

WhiteSnakeBite
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Off the top of my head without looking at it I would guess its the 5th gear syncronizer. I have never took a t45 apart but this is just what i think. Im about 99 percent sure it is constant mesh. its the same basic thing as a t3650 and i have one of those in pieces in my garage right now. If it is constant mesh and if it is not meshing then your transmission would be gone real quick. so I am just guessing it is the syncro. defective machining or something happened durring the rebuild. Again just a guess. I hope this helped you out.

cobrabitn
04-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I agree with the synchro...

psycho43142
04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
My guess would be synchro also.