PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system crossover pipe

97TNCobra
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
OK, so I installed a new radiator and hoses and am ready to fill up with coolant. Everything I read says to add coolant not only to the reserve tank , but also add coolant at the coolant crossover pipe. There is a little cap with a square opening and I am thinking I need to use some sort of square bit to unscrew this cap. The only thing I have in the tool box is a 1/4" extension and it feels a little loose and I feel if I try to put much force on it, I will strip out the hole. So, is there some sort of special square bit to use? I would guess something like an 8mm square bit would be a tighter fit. Or do I grab the vise grips and turn the whole cap (and scratch it all up). Just doesn't look quite right to me so I thought I would check and see what someone else has done before.

Thanks,
David
aka TNCobra

1997 Mustang Cobra
1987 Porsche 944 NA
2004 Ford F-350 Dually
1988 Mustang AIX/AV8SS Unlimited race car (sold) :(

snakbitn
05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
I stripped mine the first time I tried it.Now I just use channellock's. Just don't let it slip any.

97TNCobra
05-05-2010, 07:04 AM
I just hate to scratch it and make it look like crap. What did you use originally when you stripped it out? I know a 1/4" extension is all I have close and it looks like the hole would be something odd like an 8 mm square bit....which I have not found anything like that yet.

Thanks,
David
aka TNCobra

1997 Mustang Cobra
1987 Porsche 944 NA
2004 Ford F-350 Dually
1988 Mustang AIX/AV8SS Unlimited Race car (sold):(

SuperG
05-05-2010, 08:43 AM
I am not sure of the size...mine is a hex fitting. Perhaps go to AutoZone and use their tools to get the exact size...

Lumpydogs
05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
It should be a 1/4" square drive. You can use a 1/4" rachet. If the cap hasn't been unscrewed in a while it might take a little effort. If I remember correctly, I tapped the end of my rachet with a hammer a few times before the cap started to turn. I was afraid to apply brut strength (torque) to the rachet in fear of twisting or otherwise damaging the cross over tubes.

97TNCobra
05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
When I tried the 1/4" extension and ratchet, the extension felt too loose and with just a little amount of force it felt like the square opening would strip out. I wonder if replacement caps have the hex opening for a correct size hex key like Super G's(which I have all standard and metric sizes). I might check and see if I can easily get a replacement cap and then I'll try to take it off with either the 1/4" ratchet or I'll use the channel locks . If it gets too damaged, then I'll stick in a new cap. I don't know why they just didn't manufacture the cap with a nice hex head like about 15mm or 18mm and then it would be so simple. I say 15mm or 18mm because everything else on the car is just about metric! Is there an o-ring under the cap or anything?

Thanks for all the help.

David
aka TNCobra

1997 Mustang Cobra
1987 Porsche 944NA
2004 Ford F-350 Dually
1988 Mustang AIX/AV8SS race car (sold):(

ausie
05-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I have used the 1/4 inch method many times. Did not strip the hole. However, I have also broken many 1/4 inch extensions when attempting to remove the crossover plug. I eventually rounded out the hole when I used the 1/4 inch ratchet directly. Now have to use channel locks ( actually robo-plyers) to remove the plug. Was considering finding a replacement or weld a socket or nut onto the plug for ease of removal. You can always put some black primer on the plug in the hole to prevent rust.

jshertx
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
I use a 1/4 extention and rachet; It should turn w/o excessive force. If not, spray some wd-40 around the cap to penetrate the threads. You may have some rust making it stubborn to take off. Don't strip the cap unless you have tried everything and have a replacement cap on hand to change it out.

hondapoison
06-25-2010, 03:31 AM
the cap on the crossover tube is just stubborn use the 1\4" ratchet or extension if you don't make sure it is sitting all the way in and make sure you aren't tilting while trying to turn and you shouldn't strip it out it takes some force but that's how you do it.