PDA

View Full Version : May be moving to Kinston, NC

ausie
05-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I may be moving down to Kinston NC area in the near future. I was down for a job interview and it looks like a good fit for me. I will see what happens within the next week if I get called back for a second interview. I had some free time to check out the area after the interview and found a local drag strip (KDS Motorsports) which looks like a 1/8 mile run. I guess that is okay, but I am used to a 1/4 mile track that I run in NJ.

Any concerns I should know about when moving to NC?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

nckissfan
05-24-2010, 01:30 PM
how you are going to get to the Parkway Ford show in Winston Salem in August? :D

cobrabitn
05-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Yes, beware of all of the Carolina folks.. :vampsmile

Big Daddy
05-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Who are you interveiwing with I lived and worked in Kinston for a year?

Things to remember NC Trooper do NOT have a sense of humor. BE NICE TO THEM or pay the price... :thumbsup:

nckissfan
05-25-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah, I agree with Big Daddy. Tell the NCSHP the truth, or they will get you.

ausie
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Who are you interveiwing with I lived and worked in Kinston for a year?

Things to remember NC Trooper do NOT have a sense of humor. BE NICE TO THEM or pay the price... :thumbsup:The place I interviewed with is called Field Controls out on airport road. They seem like a good company to work for as an engineer. I hope I get the job since they are an ideal match to my work experience, most of the other jobs I interviewed so far were not an ideal match to my experiences. I should hear something in about a week or so. :cool:

Yes, the NC Troopers seem to be out for business. At least I saw one that pulled over a vehicle on the way down to Kinston from Greenville. I was not sure if the lights were all blue or if they used red like they do in PA. Would hate to be driving along and not pull over for the blue lights (not mandatory in PA, but I usually yield to firemen when I see them).

ausie
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
how you are going to get to the Parkway Ford show in Winston Salem in August? :DAt this time, I am still in PA. Will be hard to drive down out of state for a car show due to lack of cash flow.

Big Daddy
05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
The place I interviewed with is called Field Controls out on airport road. They seem like a good company to work for as an engineer. I hope I get the job since they are an ideal match to my work experience, most of the other jobs I interviewed so far were not an ideal match to my experiences. I should hear something in about a week or so. :cool:

Yes, the NC Troopers seem to be out for business. At least I saw one that pulled over a vehicle on the way down to Kinston from Greenville. I was not sure if the lights were all blue or if they used red like they do in PA. Would hate to be driving along and not pull over for the blue lights (not mandatory in PA, but I usually yield to firemen when I see them).

NC State Troopers run BLUE LIGHTS ONLY YOU SEE THEM PULL OVER! lol

Good luck with the job down in Kinston, I worked for the Hill Family when they purchased the restaurant chain I was controller for, but that was the late 80's early 90's. I hope the area has grown some since then, it was pretty desolate in Kinston. Greenville is a nicer town it seemed. :thumbsup:

ausie
05-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Kinston did seem a bit quiet, slow as far as growth. From what I was told, the population dropped since last year. I do not mind small towns since I grew up in one. Now I live in the city of Allentown and not too happy with my surroundings (it was least expensive location to move too after I got divorced back in 2000). I was not planning on staying where I am for long term so moving to a different location is the best thing to happen other than getting a new job. I hope to hear good news after the Holiday :thumbsup:.

nckissfan
05-28-2010, 07:04 PM
and, if you see a police car pulled over on the side of the road with lights on, you need to try and move to the next lane over. That is a new law here in NC. :thumbsup:

cobra9793
05-30-2010, 08:36 PM
The tahoes do have red lights on the back of them.

ausie
06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
:thumbsup: Got the call today. Will be setting up arrangements for a second interview. This time I take the wife down. :D It will be fun, I get to perform a presentation to the Senior staff and then go house hunting. :bounce: <-- this is what the wife looked like when I told her the news (except she was not green).

Moving over to the next lane as well as slowing down is common practice up here (at least for me anyway) when approaching emergency and police vehicles when they are on the side of the road (lights or no lights). Now comes the next question: If you have a loud exhaust, does that make you an easy target? My car should pass inspection but just wondering if they are picky on noise levels......

Big Daddy
06-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Cool, Good luck on the second interview and your presentation. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bounce:

Hopefully you'll be a working member of the NC community soon.

nckissfan
06-07-2010, 06:03 PM
does your car have cats?

loud exhaust shouldn't be an issue

Big Daddy
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
IF it has cat's they won't bother you. Mine has cat's and it's loud as hell, the cops never bother me except to say that I'm driving to fast! :thumbsup:

nckissfan
06-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Greg, driving too fast? that doesn't happen :p

ausie
06-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Thank you for the support. :thumbsup: I will be down next week. I think the wife feels things are moving too fast, or she is still in disbelief. Reality will come to her soon after we are living in NC.

Yep, my 04 is essentially stock except for tune, cat back and wheels. Will have to wait to have the rear end rebuilt since I would hate to drive the distance and have an issue. I guess I can sell the stock exhaust if I have a yard sale (have 2 complete exhaust sets; super quiet 04, and moderately quiet 01). I am looking forward to the move when the time comes.

The bonus, not too far from the beach. I will have to find out where I can take the FJ Cruiser on the beach since I already have the tires that would be good for sand and other off road adventures. I know it is not SVT related, but a fun vehicle to drive almost anywhere.

nckissfan
06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
the Outer Banks, i.e. around Kitty Hawk, Cape Hatteras, etc have some great places to drive on the beach. I had a great time with a 4x4 Explorer in Buxton, NC(where the Cape Hatteras lighthouse is)

You should have no problems with your car, law wise. Hopefully, when you get settled, you can make an event with us!

ausie
06-21-2010, 02:35 AM
I have been out on the Outer banks a few times. My favorite area was at the north Corrola area. Not sure what to expect at the Atlantic Beach area which is south on route 58. At least I will be local to the SCMC events. Would love to do the dragon run.

As for when I will find out on the Job offer, may be as soon as this Monday, or sometime this week. My second interview went great. So far, very promising that I have the job. My wife and I are pleased with the area and are looking forward to a new beginning. :bounce: My tour of Kinston and all that is happening in the community was an eye opener. If I discovered the same where I am living now it would make it hard to leave.

Big Daddy
06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Well any news yet?

ausie
06-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I got the JOB!!!!!!!! :bounce: I have been so busy packing up the home to move I did not mean to keep anyone hanging for a reply. I am also working with a realtor in Kinston to secure a property close to work. I should change my thread to "I am moving to NC". I will delay the rear end rebuild until after I get my vehicles into NC. I am now overwhelmed with packing since I have to do all of the work. My wife broke her ankle on the night we flew into NC for the second interview. Ouch. Still have many things to accomplish before my start date on the 19th of July. :rotf:

Larry95
06-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Congratulations for landing the job and good luck on your move.

nckissfan
06-29-2010, 01:03 PM
awesome news!! Hopefully, we can have you come to an event soon.

Big Daddy
06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Congratz! Glad to hear you got the job!

You're moving to NC and I'm moving out of NC.

Looks like I'll get the permanent position in Jacksonville, FL. Seems like a good spot for another SCMC chapter.... :thumbsup:

SuperG
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Congrats on the new job!!

ausie
07-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

Can anyone recommend a shop for rear end rebuild in the Kinston, Goldsborogh, or Greenville? I have all the parts and may just buy the full differential carrier assembly to make it easier. At least that way I could just install the old one back in if needed or sell it complete after I get the differential clutches replaced.

ausie
01-30-2012, 08:21 AM
It has been a year and a half now.
I have no complaints about the winter in NC.

It has been rough on both of us, I still have not sold my home in PA. The wife has been very ill (she was sick before we moved down). Many times she has been in the Hospital. I would have to say we found a really good Dr. He has not given up in finding the cause for her anemia. She has been on the road to recovery but has times she fall back into her illness.

The Cobra has not been used much, it is sick too. Alternator was crapping out. I drove to Goldsboro for an inspection. Everybody at the Jiffy Lube was excited to see a Cobra pull in. I like the short time it takes to get a car inspected here. In PA it nearly takes 4 hours or more. On the way home from Goldsboror the battery light came on. Checked the output voltage of the alternator on the battery terminals, measured 11.5V. Alternator dead. Waiting for the new alternator to arrive.

I have many other parts to get installed; clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, rear differential, 3.73 gears and a Fore diff cover. Any suggestions on a reputable shop that can do the differential work near Kinston?

Eric

nckissfan
01-30-2012, 01:08 PM
glad you are settled in, hate to hear about your wife not doing good. I don't know much about the Kinston area, at all. The only thing I can think of would be Fastlane in Benson, NC

cobrabitn
01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope things get back on track for you real fast!

ausie
02-04-2012, 12:31 AM
We are working out finances, things are beginning to improve even if I forclose on the PA home. I believe my wife is getting better. She has been more active lately. Her condition is no longer life threatening, but it has been serious since her car accident back in 2009. Not sure if the illness is related directly to the accident itself, more so to the pain meds she has been taking for the neck injuries. She has actually gained some of the weight back. She looks healthier now. The only benefit I see that she got from the neck injections was regaining her appetite, no more pain, and no more pain meds. It was not pleasant watching her wither away. There was a point she could not eat more than 4 grapes before getting sic. I think it is behind us now and we can both enjoy eating a good meal.

Still have a ton of boxes to empty, I guess that will be an issue for a long time.