PDA

View Full Version : Aviator Running Lean - Thoughts?

Bartman01
07-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Karen put the wrong gas (too low octane) in the tank while out of town (one of those stupid pumps with the high octane in the middle instead of the right). It has been through that tank of gas by now, but it is throwing codes for P0171 and P0174, which best I can tell means that both banks are running lean. I would think that if it were gas related it would have sorted itself out by now, and the codes didn't throw (she thinks) until AFTER that tank of gas was cycled through.

Vehicle has 100k on it, and I don't know the last time the fuel filter was changed. Am going to try replacing that and cleaning the MAF.

Am I reading the codes right? Any other thoughts on what to check?

Twice Bitten
07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
You are reading it correct. There seems to be several things that throws this code/s. Clear the codes and see if they come back and then track down the cause.

Bartman01
07-06-2010, 12:23 AM
You are reading it correct. There seems to be several things that throws this code/s. Clear the codes and see if they come back and then track down the cause.

Thanks. Cleaned the MAF and cleared the codes. It is running much smoother now and the codes haven't come back yet. Saw some references to cracked PCV elbows online related to these codes, but everything seemed to be in order.

Looks like one of the idiot dealerships (don't know which one) broke the 'access door' off of the engine cover and just left it loose under the hood. Took the cover off and am leaving it off.

jimmysidecarr
07-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Any further developments on this SUV with a Cobra engine? :D

Bartman01
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Same codes got thrown while I was out of town last week, so I had her take it in for a 90k service. It needed it done anyway and it would have eliminated a few other possible causes. Stalled on her twice on the way over, but she got it in to your old ER (Northwood LM). Not sure if it was the only problem, but they found a vacuum leak that had gone from bad to worse.

It now runs fine - good thing too since the Pathfinder died on the way to the airport. Aviator fixed - now I have to figure out why the Pathfinder wont start. Only a couple of more things I can check with my limited set of tools and it is getting towed in to a shop. First time the Pathfinder has ever acted up and it has almost 200k on the engine.

Edit - any tips on removing the cover for the mount that holds on the driver side sun visor on the Aviator. It doesn't want to come off and I don't want to break it.

Blownsvtlightning
08-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Same codes got thrown while I was out of town last week, so I had her take it in for a 90k service. It needed it done anyway and it would have eliminated a few other possible causes. Stalled on her twice on the way over, but she got it in to your old ER (Northwood LM). Not sure if it was the only problem, but they found a vacuum leak that had gone from bad to worse.

It now runs fine - good thing too since the Pathfinder died on the way to the airport. Aviator fixed - now I have to figure out why the Pathfinder wont start. Only a couple of more things I can check with my limited set of tools and it is getting towed in to a shop. First time the Pathfinder has ever acted up and it has almost 200k on the engine.

Edit - any tips on removing the cover for the mount that holds on the driver side sun visor on the Aviator. It doesn't want to come off and I don't want to break it. maf wont throw those typically

Bartman01
08-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Well for anyone who cares or was wondering about the Pathfinder, it is dead beyond reasonable cost to repair. The distributor is gear driven directly off the camshaft and it seems some teeth broke off. Cost to fix is > value of the car.

Twice Bitten
08-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Do you have a boat?

Firme
08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Well for anyone who cares or was wondering about the Pathfinder, it is dead beyond reasonable cost to repair. The distributor is gear driven directly off the camshaft and it seems some teeth broke off. Cost to fix is > value of the car.

Sorry to hear Bart.. are you going to miss the smell of meatballs? :D

Bartman01
08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Do you have a boat?

No, and if we did the Aviator is better equipped to pull it anyway.

As to the meatballs - I did such a good job gutting the interior and cleaning it out, it never stank of them other than that next morning.

Twice Bitten
08-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Not to pull it with, but to use as an anchor for it!