PDA

View Full Version : removing cat's fram bassani x-pipe ??

1-QIK-SNK
04-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Has anyone done this? I thought about cutting off the cats on my bassani x-pipe. I know, I would have to mil-elimators. Would I have to have 4 of them? What is your thought on this.
Im not hurting for HP for I have 280 RWHP and all I have is the x-pipe and 2 chamber flows and pulleys. Just thought it would make it alittle louder.

96 cobra
Level 5 Kenny Brown
SCMC 585

spittincobra01
05-19-2002, 10:44 PM
why not just get an off road x pipe?

Snake98
05-20-2002, 02:16 AM
your best bet is to sell your catted-x...you can probably get 300.00-400.00 on Ebay....then turn around and buy an off-road-x for around 250.00 or less. -Rob

98Cobretti
05-20-2002, 02:37 AM
You would only need 2 mil-eliminators, depending on your car you might not even need them. I had an offroad H pipe for about 1 week and I never got a check engine light, I also didn't need them with my current setup. It seems each car is different and some are more lenient than others as far as mods go.

rocknroll
06-03-2002, 12:38 AM
I did this. I had a Basanni x with cats. After the cats went bad for the second time I cut them off and just welded in 21/2" pipe. It is LOUD. Especially when you get on it. Very raspy sounding. Some would say aggressive. If you like that then do it. I got tired of the noise after awhile and bought a catted h-pipe. Much better for my taste. I do have the MIL's. Let me know if you want them. I'll give you a great deal.

1-QIK-SNK
06-03-2002, 10:33 AM
What would you want to get out of the mil's? I have not cut them off yet. Could you tell any power increase when you cut them off?
It is still up in the air on cutting them off. I have a 89 lx coupe 5.0 with a ORH and all the polution crap off of it and it dose stink. Did you notice a bad stink when you cut the cats off? Thanks

rocknroll
06-03-2002, 06:47 PM
1-Qik,

I didn't notice any seat of the pants increase. I think the x with cats flows just as well, at least from what I've heard. I only took mine off because the cats were bad. If yours are good, I'd leave them on because otherwise that is one expensive off-road. If you do take them off, I didn't notice any odor, just good old America V-8 exhaust. Email me on the MIL's.

1-QIK-SNK
06-04-2002, 09:26 AM
I don't know what the bassani x-pipe w/o cat cost. I bought mine with cats used for 300.00 about 3 1/2 to 4 yrs ago. it was only 4 months old when I got it. Do you still have the x-pipe you had the cats cut off? If so would you want to sell them? Here is my email

millerk@bright.net Thanks Kerry

tnturbo
06-04-2002, 07:00 PM
If it were me, I wouldn't cut them off. I would just gut them out and leave them on there. You would still need MIL eliminators for the back sensors. The smell you noticed with your 5.0 will be there on the Cobra too. If your cats aren't busted, I would not gut them or cut them out, just buy an off-road or offer to trade catted for off road. You may not like the noise level with off road X and 2 chamber Flowmasters. It will be very loud, I had (keyword had) off road H and 2 chambers for a while. I removed Flowmasters in favor of stock mufflers, left Mac O/R H. Bassani O/R X and Magnaflow catback are in the garage waiting to go on now.

98 Snakeman
06-05-2002, 11:35 PM
For the price of a new O/R X or H, it wouldn't be worth the hassle or cost of cutting and welding. You can keep the catted ones for the future or even sell them. :thumbsup: