PDA

View Full Version : Changing lives a mile at a time

09-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Without a doubt, my wife and I are getting ready for one of the biggest challenges of our lives. On February 19 2011 we will both be running the longest distance either of us have run, she will be running a Half marathon 13.1 miles and I will be running a Full marathon 26.2 miles at Myrtle Beach in February 2011. As luck would have it we will not be doing this alone. We have joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training program. Through this program, we have great coaches, mentors and teammates whose support will help us cross the finish line on race day.
More important even then our physical commitment to the program we have a commitment to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in its effort to battle Leukemia and related cancers. According to the U.S. Cancer Statistics: 2006 Incidence and Mortality Web-based report, 34,316 cases of leukemia were diagnosed in the United States in 2006 (the most recent year for which statistics are available), including 19,400 in males and 14,916 in females. That same year, 22,016 people died from leukemia, including 12,426 males and 9,590 females
We are not only running these races for the Society, but also in honor of a local Leukemia patient in particular. Clay Reeves, age 13 is from Lexington, SC, he was diagnosed with Acute Promolyectic Leukemia in October of 2005. He underwent chemotherapy at Palmetto Richland Children’s Hospital, and has been in remission since January of 2006. It is Hero’s like this that make the funds raised throughout the year worthwhile.

If you fill the need to help out with this worth while cause you can do so at our Team in Training site below,. Even if you are not able to give your thoughts and comments will help us push through the training and also the miles on race day. Over 75% of the money raised goes towards research for new treatments as well as to families that need the fanancial support. Thanks for looking...:thumbsup:

http://pages.teamintraining.org/sc/myrtle11/teamstalnaker

09-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Bump for a great cause