PDA

View Full Version : 04 cobra

mike waldrep
11-18-2010, 03:29 PM
my o4 cobra has gotten harder to shift some times I can hardly shift into first or reverse from a dead stop. any body else have this problem . Can anyone offer any suggestions. thanks mike

wildwoman
11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Howdy,
Don't feel like the lone ranger. I was talking to my mechanic the other day and have found out that the T45 (I think thats our tranny, blonde moment) are famous for losing their synchros. Bad news, now I am getting close to having to change the tranny, gonna cost me about $1300 (this is a swapout). Of course I am going to wait until I can't stand it any more, it's just moody right now. I have to be very careful to not put it into neutral at too many stop lights as it can be a ***** to get it into 1st, but then again I can be as stubborn as my car.

Anyway, my point is that you are losing your synchros, and you are gonna either need to get a new tranny or rebuild it.
I feel your pain.
Debbie :rotf:

Cerious22
11-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Ahh, I've noticed the same with my 99. A simple fix for me is just release the clutch and push it in again and its fine. Thanks for the explanation!

gfcobra
11-22-2010, 05:19 PM
my o4 cobra has gotten harder to shift some times I can hardly shift into first or reverse from a dead stop. any body else have this problem . Can anyone offer any suggestions. thanks mikeYou have a T56. Have you changed your fluid lately? If you use the wrong type fluid the trans will become hard to shift. You should use GM synchromesh in the T56.

Try adjusting the clutch by pulling up on the clutch pedal. The clutch on these cars engages at the end of depression, so you must practically put the clutch pedal on the floor to shift. This is on the Ford stock clutch only.
Gary

smashedheadcat
12-10-2010, 01:21 PM
The transmission in your car is most likely fine. The fluid is also most likely fine. However, it's pretty simple and cheap to change when compared to an automatic. Anyway, odds are, you're expiriencing clutch wear. The factory clutch quadrant (self adjusting) is supposed to compensate for this but it doesn't really do the best job, as it often times, allows a little too much slack in the cable. Thus, not letting the clutch fully disengage when depressing the pedal. Going with a quality aftermarket clutch quadrant and a firewall adjuster (keep the stock cable) will allow you to put a little more tension on the clutch cable and eliminate your problem for now. But, as your clutch continues to wear, you'll have to adjust the cable tension. This process only takes a few seconds to do after the firewall adjuster is installed. I seriously recommend doing this modification (Clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster) to prevent shops from trying to sell you new transmissions, and also, it may squeeze some more life out of your clutch.

ausie
01-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I would agree with smashedheadcat. Replace the clutch quadrant with a better one with a fire wall adjuster. You can use the stock clutch cable (need to remove the bushing and clip). I had issues with shifting my 04 Cobra with less than 1k miles on it. After installing the clutch quad and firewall adjuster never had an issue. Now have 56k miles on the clock and still no issues yet. :thumbsup:

Ragtop Cobra
01-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm looking into buying a new driveshaft and I was wondering if there is one better than an other??

C:\Users\Martin\Pictures\Pic-nic,summer 2010 (11).jpg