PDA

View Full Version : Installing a 03/04 engine/trans into 02 Cobra

Jiffy
01-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Hi guys - have done 100K miles in my 2002 Cobra. It's been ROCK solid and I've only had to replace the clip on the end of the clutch cable and a lightbulb above the license plate. It's a great car and still runs like clock-work but doesn't have the grunt it used to or that of newer counterparts. So, I've been scouring ebay and seen a LOT of 03/04 drive trains complete with engine, trans, harnesses and ECU's and I'm planning to buy one and drop it into my car fro some more GO!.

Any pitfalls you could think of? Are the rear differentials any different? Is the ECU different? Wiring harnesses need changing? Fuel pumps different? Will just the engine bolt up to my '02 5 speed? Is the clutch the same/strong enough?

Anyone got a complete spare setup for sale?

nckissfan
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
you mean '01? They didn't make '02 Cobras.

Jiffy
01-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Nah, I have a June built 2002 SVT Cobra. Ford made & exported 300 of them to Australia - 150 & coupes and 150 convertibles. They started the program in 2001 and finished it at the end of 2002, mine was one of the last produced and last converted to right hand drive. It's been bullitproof and great fun to own, just reviewing the sensibility of upgrading the drivetrain with either a 2003/04 Supoercharged Cobra engine or possibly a 2007/8 GT500 engine - would this fit?

What would need to be done to make it all hang together? Anyone done it?
Thanks in advance from Australia
Jeff

cobrabitn
01-13-2011, 11:46 PM
That is true Jiffy, what are the odds you'd fall on this site. Welcome with a limited production Australian Cobra! :thumbsup:

My advice would to be to buy the complete drivetrain which would include transmission and engine. You will definitely have to have the "gauge pod" as it will have the boost gauge on it. The 2001/02 Cobra did not have a boost gauge. Remember, you'll also have to have the coolant reservoir and all of the hoses that go with it. Personally, if it were possible, I'd find a wrecked 03/04 Cobra in Australia and buy the car and just swap everything over since it will physically fit and you will most likely have all of the odds and ends we are not thinking about.

nckissfan
01-14-2011, 07:29 AM
I knew about the Aussie Cobras, but not often you hear of anyone having them. That is cool.

I would keep the stock motor, and put a Procharger supercharger on it. You will get better boost out of it. The stock bottom ends can handle the power. It might be a lot easier doing this.

COBRA_ESQ
01-14-2011, 08:19 AM
If I remember correctly I read somewhere (Iron Fist lead Foot?), that they had to re-cut the hole in the tunnel so the shifter fit.

cobrabitn
01-14-2011, 08:23 AM
I have to agree with nckissfan, do a rebuild and put an aftermarket s/c on it. I believe it will be less headache if you cannot find an 03/04 donor car.

:D