PDA

View Full Version : smoke

WVSNS&
01-21-2011, 05:23 PM
almost 5k miles on the crate motor...smoke on start up now but not every time...white smoke. What is this? The original engine did this from fifty thousand or so to one hundred thousand and seven hundred and two miles when I drove it into the water. No oil loss(amsoil) visible on the dipstick. Gotta wonder why this is happening. Any suggestions?

john

cobrabitn
01-21-2011, 08:56 PM
White smoke means water in the combustion chamber. Sounds like a water jacket and bad seal on the head gaskets. Could also be anywhere else water would have access to the cylinder walls/heads.

Cold weather will cause that too since everything tends to shrink smaller than normal.

WVSNS&
01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Cool! The neighbor said that he can see some blue tint at times when I start up sometimes with the white, likely due to the cold. Ford, on the tech line suggest I remove the top in the upper intake and check for crud in the bottom. They are suggesting that crud can build up there and create a vacuum situation that could suck oil through the system. They also suggest that when the crate engine was installed that the intake likely was removed from the old engine and bolted directly on and not taken apart and cleaned/checked prior to the new engine being installed. That and they suggested a few other things to replace upon further inspection. Glad I called them, they were quite helpful.

john