PDA

View Full Version : 98 cobra T45 shift fork removal question

DMill
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi, this is my first post. I hope this question has not been answered, please excuse me if it has. My transmission question is a little different than the norm.

I have 98 Cobra with about 35k miles, it has been taken care of and has not had a hard life at all.

However few months back I noticed that every once in a while when I shifted into 3rd it would pop right back of gear as I released the clutch, it didn't happen all the time. It never popped out of gear on deceleration or acceleration it would only happen during the shift. It also didn't happen enough to be more that a minor irritation and I just became very careful when shifting to kind of nurse the third gear shift.

This morning all of the sudden it won't stay in third at all just pops right back out.

Since I know that I have not been hard on this tranny at all and it has no bearing noise or indication that the syncros are worn, I think it is some fault with the shift fork, perhaps a pad fell off or the fork is bent. I would like to take it apart and replace whatever it is that is at fault without rebuilding the entire thing. I don't want to take it to a shop and spend $1000 rebuilding it, because it has really low miles and if I have to spend that kind of money I would just as soon save up a little and buy a T56.

So with all that said, does anyone know if it is possible to remove the front cover of the transmssion and remove and replace or repair the 3rd/4th shift fork (if that is the issue) without disassembling the parts in the tailhousing or having to pull the entire main shaft out? (the reverse and fifth are fine). If I understand correctly in order to remove the mainshaft and all the "innards" with the gears on them you have to dissassemble the 5th and reverse gear stuff in the tail housing which I am trying to avoid. I know that ProMotion sells a 3-4 Cryo fork. I would't mind paying the $90 for that if I could slip it in without rebuilding the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!

DMill
02-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Answered my own question by tearing it down. The answer is no. You can't remove/repair the forks with out disassembling the transmission.

Dave.

cobrabitn
02-05-2011, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the update Dave. :thumbsup: