PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of oil cooler causing fried bearings??

anjin
08-05-2011, 07:18 PM
The shop that rebuilt my bottom end, that then fried within 25 miles of install, is trying to blame the oil cooler that I supplied. Nothing can be seen wrong with the cooler, it's the biggest open flow of the entire oil system Anyone have or heard of any such thing or have a schematic or flow diagram of the oil cooler? I could use whatever schematic or background I can come up with to keep the responsibility where it belongs. Thanks!

anjin
08-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Found the schematic and good rebuild write-up from SVTPerformance forum here:
(http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/772115-how-repair-leaking-oil-cooler.html)
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/772115-how-repair-leaking-oil-cooler.html

but would still be interested in any thoughts from other owners on likelihood that [something mysterious] about the oil cooler could have fried my bearings. No coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant, was not running high temps, no evidence of any issue with the cooler. IMHO the shop has to own up and eat this one. Thoughts?

cobrabitn
08-05-2011, 09:28 PM
If the cooler is not completely cleaned out then trash could be in the cooler and disrupt oil flow.

anjin
08-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks Tony,
Wasn't paying attention at 3 days of Superfest and didn't check oil except day before - spun couple bearings. Along the way of the bottom end work put in new pump and swapped oil cooler for one with less miles and no history of bearings problems (new one is $370). Came off another 2003 that was putting on a remote system due to new A members. Was thoroughly blown out, cleaned out with solvent then solvent cleaned up. No residue in the clean up process either. Need my Cobra back so I can make it back out to VIR in October!

cobrabitn
08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Did you take it completely apart like the guy in the write-up did? If not, then there could have been an oil flow problem. If you drove the car for 25 miles then it got oil up until the last few miles. There could have been something that got clogged in the oil cooler and caused the bearings to fail.

jimmysidecarr
08-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Used oil coolers that you did not personally completely disassemble and clean out(if that's even completely effective) are a bad idea because you just don't know what you have.:(