PDA

View Full Version : 99 Cobra drive axle

Mekirch
11-17-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm in need of a rear, driver side drive axle and boot. Seems the last guy to work on my brakes routed the brake line where it rubbed the drive axle boot. Brake line has been replaced. Having major probs locating a replacement drive axle. Have struck out 18 times online. Almost ready to get one fabricated. Has anyone had this problem in the past? If so, help!

cobrabitn
11-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Why not upgrade to 03/04 axles?

RAGEN-CAJUN
11-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Why not upgrade to 03/04 axles?

Would he have to change a lot more than just the axles to do that upgrade?

cobrabitn
11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Go here to read up on the IRS and then contact Bruce as he can tell you what needs to be done. http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/mystery_of_irs.htm

ac427cobra
11-20-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm in need of a rear, driver side drive axle and boot. Seems the last guy to work on my brakes routed the brake line where it rubbed the drive axle boot. Brake line has been replaced. Having major probs locating a replacement drive axle. Have struck out 18 times online. Almost ready to get one fabricated. Has anyone had this problem in the past? If so, help!

You may want to look for somone that is parting out a '99 IRS. They go pretty cheap, like a few hundred bucks. Then you'd have two halfshafts to play with.

The preveious suggestion of upgrading to an '03-'04 IRS assembly would also be a good choice as well. But the '99 has a 28 spline gear carrier and the '03 has a 31. So 'some' of the parts are not interchangeable.

If you did find an '03-'04 IRS all you'd have to change would be the pinion flange on the differential. This was smaller on the '99 and larger on the '03.

Hope that helps.

:D

WVSNS&
12-10-2011, 03:33 PM
I got an 03/04 irs from someone in Portsmouth Va. He has more, at least two. Not too bad a price. Will give contact information if you want. pm or email me.

john

JBoden
12-21-2011, 09:35 PM

If you are not in a hurry - I am swapping the 99 iRS out for an 03 and would be happy to send you the half shaft

PM me if interested

Jim B