PDA

View Full Version : Kenne Bell Superchargers

SVTNICK
05-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Anybody know of anayone who has the kenne bell system on their CObra?? Im interested in getting the roots /twin screw type superchrger and would like to hear some real opinions from people already running the system.

Thanks

cobrabitn
05-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Get the April issue of MMFF and you can read how it affected a GT. An eaton vs a autorotor twin screw. Unbelieveable results. I may just hold off on that 2003 and see what happens when they put one on the 4.6 DOHC. Cool....:thumbsup:

sn8kbit
05-10-2002, 05:31 PM
as of a couple of months ago, there wasn't one available for the 99 and up yet.......

johnbasf
05-10-2002, 05:48 PM
I know a local guy that has one on his 96 snake. He likes it but he said KB had terrible tech support. I want to wait and see if FRPP comes out with the eaton for our cars.

BAD PNY
05-10-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SVTNICK
Anybody know of anayone who has the kenne bell system on their CObra?? Im interested in getting the roots /twin screw type superchrger and would like to hear some real opinions from people already running the system.

Thanks

If that is what you are interested in then get the 03 cobra. You get the blower you want, with a factory warranty, with a 6 speed transmission. It would seem silly to me to put one on your 01. The motor is fragile, the trans is weak, and the clutch won't take much. If you want a centrifugal then I understand but not a roots style.

SVTNICK
05-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Actually..I called kenne bell and they said a kit for the 99-01 will be out shortly..Im on the mailing list for when the info comes out.

Second, i prefer the all aluminum block over the iron(it is lighter after all..besides..the gt40 has an aluminum block ). Yeah yeah ive heard all the hoopla over that the iron block is stronger and the like, but the reality is that it was choosen bc of budget...i prefer the aluminum block, but im no fool..if I plan to eventually get more than over 500 hp, i know she will need to be rebuilt with new internals, maybe a new cam grind etc etc..

as for the comment about getting an 03..nah..i prefer to do the work myself..everybody is going to modify their 03 anyway..so that throws the warranty thing out the window...besides..i paid a few thousand under MSRP for my cobra(which means about on average a 13000 difference in price)..not 4 to 5 thousand over like some of you guys are paying for the 03..(btw..which is a a great car hands down)..so in the end when u actually total the cost between any other cobra and the 03..it will end up the same in the end..probably alot cheaper for us...ill just have more fun getting my car to the same performance level if not better...lol

but anyway....back to why I started this thread..i do prefer a roots type supercharger..ive had great luck with them in the past..give u boost all the rpm range..not just at the high end like a centrifugal..better fuel economy when compared to a centrifugal too..i also feel its the the best choice if u are building the all around car..for daily use/autocross/ and strip...this is just based on my own experience and from what ive seen...but thats just my opinion.

the cons are though that its hard to find support..can be a pain to find a shop willing to tune your car..but hopefully with the 03, that will change.

sn8kbit
05-11-2002, 05:04 PM
nick, with recent Lightning aftermarket crowd, finding a tuner for your roots will be alot easier. :thumbsup: (not to mention what it'll do for the 03...)

centrifugal vs roots has been going on forever and a day. roots on a stock block ain't gonna hurt nuthin, especially with only 6-9 lbs and a good tune. the only thing i'd do is watch what gears you decide to run. good street blower, you get the airflow sooner, and if i'm not mistaken, KB (kenny belle that is) is working on an aftercooler unit, to keep intake temps down. you may not get the numbers these votech boys have, but you'll have a smile on your face for a couple grand cheaper....;) (i'm an ATI fan myself)
glad to hear they're finally gonna get something working for the 99 an up tho. go for it....:thumbsup:

BAD PNY
05-11-2002, 07:34 PM
if I plan to eventually get more than over 500 hp, i know she will need to be rebuilt with new internals, maybe a new cam grind etc etc..

as for the comment about getting an 03..nah..i prefer to do the work myself..everybody is going to modify their 03 anyway..so that throws the warranty thing out the window...besides..i paid a few thousand under MSRP for my cobra(which means about on average a 13000 difference in price)..not 4 to 5 thousand over like some of you guys are paying for the 03..(btw..which is a a great car hands down)..so in the end when u actually total the cost between any other cobra and the 03..it will end up the same in the end..probably alot cheaper for us...ill just have more fun getting my car to the same performance level if not better...lol

but anyway....back to why I started this thread..i do prefer a roots type supercharger..ive had great luck with them in the past..give u boost all the rpm range..not just at the high end like a centrifugal..better fuel economy when compared to a centrifugal too..i also feel its the the best choice if u are building the all around car..for daily use/autocross/ and strip...this is just based on my own experience and from what ive seen...but thats just my opinion.

1st if you are looking for over 500 rwhp you better rethink the roots style. I am aware of none that will give you that performance on a 4.6. For daily use I agree the roots maybe a better option but not on the strip. The centrifugals will eat you alive there and on the highway. Its a numbers game and they make more hp. The centrifugals are actually making better torque now also. I have the new 4 valve vortech impeller that does just that spool boost quicker. The roots are a blast to drive but will not beat the shear power of a centrifugal. For a road course car the roots would be a better alternative. It is all in what you want.

SVTNICK
05-12-2002, 12:17 PM
This is a quote I love about the twin screw..

"With a twin-screw Kenne Bell supercharger kit you can cruise down the freeway in any gear at 2000, 3000, 4000, or 5000 rpm without getting into the boost and heating up the engine and burning excess fuel. Again, boost in the Kenne Bell Autorotor is NOT a sole function of rpm, but of throttle position."

FOr those of you running the vortechs with more than 6 psi, are you running 92-93 octane with an ignition retard system or are you using octane booster... or nothing at all? Just checking on some things Ive been reading.

thanks for all the opinions thus far...

BAD PNY
05-12-2002, 12:38 PM

FOr those of you running the vortechs with more than 6 psi, are you running 92-93 octane with an ignition retard system or are you using octane booster... or nothing at all? Just checking on some things Ive been reading.

With my aftercooler I see 10-11 psi WOT. I have an MSD DIS-4 ignition and use 93-94 octane without booster. My car is shifted at 6400 and does not spin past 6700. I do not have the basic vortech fuel system or chip though. With a new clutch I truly believe the car will run 11.4's. The stock clutch was killing me out of the hole.

tcrews
05-12-2002, 01:09 PM

The Vortech kit as shipped is an 8-9 psi kit and runs just fine on 91+ octane. This will produce about 390 rwhp 330 rwtq on a stock Cobra with the supplied chip.

You can easily run 12+ psi on pump gas with the proper tuning of your A/F ratios on a dyno. There are quite a few stock engines running 500+ rwhp on Vortechs (all seem to be JMS tuned cars) and have been running for years that way. At those power levels race gas / octane booster would definitely be a requirement when hitting the track but for street driving it's doable.

Some are luckier than others, some blocks are built better than others and any boosted engine is going to suffer eventually unless the shortblock is prepped (forged, etc..). Forced induction puts a lot of stress on the internals....be it a centrifigul, roots/twin-screw, turbo or nitrous.

Most people suffer when they get greedy for more power, though you'll run across the few unluckly ones that had 'unknown' engine problems before they added the blower....which of course brought out those problems quicker :)

redsnake99
05-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Like all 99 Cobras, I run 93 octane all the time. When on track for extended day run, I use the 100 or so octane from the track pumps.

Never had a fuel problem. Car now has 52,000 miles on it, more than half of that is with the mods in my signature.

:D

SVTNICK
05-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Ill be honest, Im really surprised that alot of you are running more than 10 psi without engine problems...to be frank, i wouldnt dare go over 8 ..you guys definately have some balls....ID be real afraid of reliability issues. I was figuring if I were to go over lets say 10 psi with a roots style blower, id probably have the engine rebuilt first..with possibly a lower compression ..and then have the blower set to 12 or 14 psi..(from what i underestand..you can use this kit up to 20 psi..which would be outragous)....i know then id be making just as much HP as the vortech fellas...

i think thats the big misconception about the kenne bell..u can make just as much boost as a vortech..BUT..they say dont go over 6 psi unless you are willing to make very substantial changes to your motor....i beleive i read somewhere that if you retard your motor 4-6 degrees with a 8 psi centrifrugal blower, you tend to lose about 2 psi or about 20 hp or so whats the point i ask..(and yeah..im sure i read it in the marketing literature..so im sure its biased a bit..but still it is true)..

but anyway..ill continue to find out all I can before I make a final decision....( i did just take a ride in my friends GT with the Saleen kit..all i can say is holy sh*t,,LOL)

Black Snake
05-13-2002, 09:37 AM

"With a twin-screw Kenne Bell supercharger kit you can cruise down the freeway in any gear at 2000, 3000, 4000, or 5000 rpm without getting into the boost and heating up the engine and burning excess fuel. Again, boost in the Kenne Bell Autorotor is NOT a sole function of rpm, but of throttle position."

Dude, that's what the blow-off valve on the centrifugal blowers is for. Drive around all day long at 3K, 4K or 5K RPM and never see any boost. Stab the throttle and it will jump to zero vacuum, but you will only build boost at WOT. Any car would be difficult to drive if you were seeing boost at any throtle position.

With my set-up I am running 93 octane and an MSD 6BTM unit (controls spark and boost retard). I can dial-in how much timing to pull per pound of boost. I prefer that to an RPM based set-up. With the power pipe and the stock Vortech kit I am seeing 10 Lbs of boost.

Personally I like the centrifugal blowers. They can be upgraded to grow with your needs. Want a little more out of you blower, add a power pipe or a smaller pulley. Want some more out of your KB, your options are limited. The biggest knock against them is the lack of tuner support. KB blowers for 5.0's have been around for a long time and you still do not see many tuners that know the system. Not to mention that KB's support (both tech and sales) sucks.

Bottom line, due what makes the most sense for your car. But look at both sides before your jump in. As as many questions as you can.

SVTNICK
05-13-2002, 11:39 AM
Since Ive been looking into forced induction, I decided to also look into turbos. I called Car tech and as luck would have it, they too have a kit coming out for the Cobra by the end of the summer...no idea on price, but from what Ive seen on their website on other kits, Id guess a little over $4000. HAs anybody ever seen a turbo charged Cobra??????:D

GeoSnake
05-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Jim Vaccaro let me drive his 96 Kenne Bell sc'd Cobra (the one in the KB ads) last year at the Mod Shootout. I took it about 3 miles down the road and back. I've driven more than a few sc'd Cobras and that was by far the most enjoyable for street use I've driven! I considered it for a long time...I need a money tree!

ratman
05-17-2002, 02:50 PM
I thought you got better tq with the KB across the entire rpm range--if that is the case what is there not to like about it(except higher temps?)--someone please explain--I am debating between the two. I have also heard KB support is not good--any advice on that??:confused: ---ratman

SVTNICK
05-17-2002, 03:03 PM
ratman..thats what I was told too..the argument is that you cant make as much power as the vortech..but..as I look at it..the stock block cant really withstand 500 or so HP without needing a rebuild anyway....and the KB can help get me there...in my case..im not interested in being the fastest...i prefer well rounded..and if I can get my car to make 450 or so HP at the rear wheels and still retain good MPG numbers..then thats what I want...plus..the kb helps makes good low end grunt..which is great for a car I want to drive every day.

ratman
05-17-2002, 03:13 PM
SV--I agree--from the graphs I have seen you get a lot more useable torque at a lot lower rpms--that is what I want too--my question is what is the downside to the KB blower?? Any thoughts? I think it is cheaper than vortech also:confused: :confused: :confused: ratman

SVTNICK
05-17-2002, 03:25 PM
First of, I called KB a few weeks ago, and I was told the kit for the 99-01 will be out sometime during the summer.

SEcond, it seems alot of the tuners prefer the centrifugal blowers over any roots/twin screw because they all have more experience with them...I know my local tuner keeps pressing the vortech on me, but I wont say yes yet....im hoping with the 2003 will spark some interest with tuners and hopefully generate a little more support than what we currently see for the roots. Im presuming that its just as easy to burn and tune a new chip for a roots car as it is for a centrifugal car.

BTW..the KB only is supposed to take 4 hours to install on a cobra too.

BAD PNY
05-17-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by ratman
SV--I agree--from the graphs I have seen you get a lot more useable torque at a lot lower rpms--that is what I want too--my question is what is the downside to the KB blower?? Any thoughts? I think it is cheaper than vortech also:confused: :confused: :confused: ratman

The downside is:

Hp is limited and it is hard to grow the blower as your needs grow. Also you are always spooling boost and heat. With a centrifugal on the highway, I have no idea it is even there until I lean on the throttle. If you want more power and don't want big numbers the roots is the blower for you. If you want all out thrust and power a centrifugal is the ticket. When the roots is running out of steam the centrifugal is full force. It is all in what you want.

ratman
05-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know the price of the KB compared to a Vor-strim??I agree with you most tuners push vortech--I guess they just feel more comfortable with it!:eek:

SVTNICK
05-19-2002, 10:07 PM
PG 89 in 5.0 Mustang has an add that advertises that the new system for the 99-01 for sale. I guess they finally released the new kit..ill be calling tomorrow..but if the price is like the 98 kit, its about 3500.

SVTNICK
05-20-2002, 12:57 PM
ok..i found a tuner close to me in NJ who loves the kenne bell system..they are called mustang magic in NY. He told me he loves the system because its safe. They have NEVER had a kenne bell car go..because it pretty much stops making boost when the car runs out of breath. A kenne bell car will go into the 12's easily, and its reliable right out of the box..actually..he has seen most of his cars do 11's with ease....VOrtechs do tend to keep making boost...but that can be dangerous.

HE is actually the first tuner who has told me how much he loves them, especially on Cobra's...now if only KB would release the pricing for the 2001 system.

So call Mustang Magic if you want more info..I talked to a guy named Joe..seemed very cool.. Ill be up there on Saturday to make an appointment.

tcrews
05-21-2002, 09:32 AM
I know of quite a few KB cars that have let go....you need to remember you are "forcing" the engine to make more power than the stock components are designed to handle, again...any forced induction system (turbo, SC, nitrous) can cause premature engine failure.

Now...here's a '97 Cobra and it's mods with a KB:

97 Cobra - Kenne Bell 1500
Bassani o/r x-pipe
4:10 gears
Lightning 90mm MAF
42# injectors
255lph intank

"seeing about 8# of boost" - 365.3 RWHP 341.1 RWTQ

This compared to my '97 Cobra and it's mods and Vortech:

97 Cobra - Vortech SC-trim
Bassani Catted X-pipe
4.10 gears

seeing about 8# of boost - 425 rwhp and 362 rwtq.

Again...it's all personal taste/preference, but I've been extremely pleased with my Vortech.

SVTNICK
05-21-2002, 09:52 AM
tcrews..i do agree with you(if our cars are stock..we shouldnt go higher then 6 lbs in theory)..im just letting people know what this tech told me. Yes..vortech can make more power..but..the higher u rev..the more boost it makes..which is more dangerous then how the kb works. Personally I havnt seen enough KB cobras out there to really make a really informed decision...everybody seems to have a vortech..and repeats what theirs techs told them.. But mustang magic seems to have a great rep here with all SC cars..and they have done alot of roots style blowers on cobras and other stangs..and they seem to prefer them for their customers bc its the safest system for most motors when compared to the centrifugal...and when properly tuned of course.

If you want to one day make tones of power close to 600 or 700 hp..then yeah..maybe go to a centrifugal..but if your like me ..i think the KB with 6-8 pounds of boost and a good tune with some minor bolt ons sounds perfect for around town action and occasional track racing.

In all honesty though...i will admit i do like the sound of the KB....and i am leaning towards it more then ever bc I have found a shop that does the installs well..and like me is a fan of the roots.

SVTNICK
05-21-2002, 10:45 AM
I dont know what this means..but on Mustang magics website, it says that Jim Vaccaro is part of the magic racing team....

it seems he went a NEW Best Time of 10.94 @121.47 with

404 rwhp 380.6 rwtqe...

he is running a KB system with 9 lbs of boost..no idea what else.

tcrews
05-21-2002, 10:55 AM
That 10.x time is his '99 GT with a centrifugal blower (ATI). That's a BIG big bower unit, not for the street.

His Cobra (which he no longer has) has run a best of 11.98 @ 119mph (or something close) and was running on slicks. He also has just about everything you can do to that car (bolt-on wise) as possible. Full custom exhaust (3") with BBK longtubes, 42#injectors, ProM Maf, Smaller pulley than stock (not sure what...he had like 3 or 4 different ones from KB), 4.10 gears, etc...

There are no other cars anywhere like Jimmy's running KB blowers. He had extensive tuning done on that car as well.

Very very very very nice car....... but it was pretty much at the limit of the KB blowers capabilities.

SVTNICK
05-21-2002, 11:23 AM
id be content with easy 12's..but like i said before..im looking for that all around system.....all around car........i dont need to go faster then that..(i hope to evetually compete in the one lap of AMerica and the silver state classic..its a dream ie had since I first heard of Broke Yates 7 years ago)

ahh decisions decisions....what to do..lol It was never this hard with my 86's....lol

the link to the website is http://www.mustangmagic.com/vaccaro.htm by the way...i dont dought what u said though.

tnturbo
05-21-2002, 11:30 AM
You may want to check out www.proturbokits.com I would be VERY hesitant is dealing with Cartech. I dealt with them once and that was enough. I don't know if anyone will ever deliver a turbo kit for the 4v cars. Incon took deposits a LONG time ago and still no kits to my knowledge. Also turbo kits are significantly more $$. The KB kit is actually more expensive $3599 for the better kit at 7lbs, but the install is much easier and faster. It sits on top of the engine and does not need engine oil supplied to it. Everybody bases KB max power on the 1500 unit, but there is also a 2200 unit. These are capable of 20lbs of boost. I have never seen a 2200 on a 4.6, but have on several 5.0s that have exceeded 500 rwhp and 500 rwtq. Everybody is right though customer service at Kenne Bell is not good at all.

tcrews
05-21-2002, 01:55 PM
I know Jimmy Vaccaro and his Cobra (before he sold it) never hit the 10's, I'm guessing they have type-o there and it should be a 11.94.

Black Snake
05-21-2002, 02:56 PM
ok..i found a tuner close to me in NJ who loves the kenne bell system..they are called mustang magic in NY. He told me he loves the system because its safe. They have NEVER had a kenne bell car go..because it pretty much stops making boost when the car runs out of breath. A kenne bell car will go into the 12's easily, and its reliable right out of the box..actually..he has seen most of his cars do 11's with ease....VOrtechs do tend to keep making boost...but that can be dangerous.

HE is actually the first tuner who has told me how much he loves them, especially on Cobra's...now if only KB would release the pricing for the 2001 system.

So call Mustang Magic if you want more info..I talked to a guy named Joe..seemed very cool.. Ill be up there on Saturday to make an appointment.
So you found someone that said what you wanted to hear and now you are happy. Right? Be careful. You should have more trust in your tuner than you do in your wife or kids. He holds your engine's life in his hands. You better be positive that he knows what he is doing. I'm not saying that Mustang Magic are a bunch of idiots, in fact I've never even heard of them before. For all I know they are the experts. I'm just saying to investigate a bit more before you make the leap. Personally if I was in your shoes (living in NJ) I would be going to Larocca's Performance for my tuning/install needs. They have a good reputation from everything that I've heard.

Now about KB blowers being the best thing since sliced bread. I know plenty of KB powered 5.0's that have blown a head gasket or a motor. Just because you install one and pulley it for only 6 #'s of boost, that doesn't mean that you are golden. Sure you might be safer than the guy making 14 #'s of boost, but it doesn't mean that you will never blow-up. Every blower is going to stress the motor and run the risk of causing damage.

There are two big knocks against KB. Tech support from KB when you have a problem and tunner know how for your set-up. That was the big factor for me. There are plenty of tuners to work with on a Vortech/Paxton/ATI blower. Not many specialize in KB.

Why don't you email Jimmy V and talk to him about his car. Ask him who he recommends for install and tuner work. He is a super nice guy and would be more than willing to offer any help/advice.

SVTNICK
05-21-2002, 03:14 PM
Actually..i believe mustang magic did jimmys install(thats according to this article http://www.kenne-bell.com/owners.asp ) CLub members from cjmf actaully told me about them bc of all the problems they had with a local shop by us which will remain nameless...I happened to ask Mustang Magic what they thought about KB and he said it happened to be what they prefer.... which is not what both Crazy Horse and Laroccas had told me..they wanted to install vortechs...which is not what I want. But I will look into getting in touch with Jimmy..thats actually a good idea..

side note::

Believe it or not Ive been researching this for a long time. I tend to ask questions from a devils advocate point of view if you will...hence my questions...so I can get good dialogue back about issues and products that i find interesting and that might be of interest to others.. I know my questions can seem a bit niave at times..but thats the only way to get good answers and info from you people..LOL.....

SVTNICK
05-21-2002, 03:28 PM
ANother thing just occured to me..i too have seem plenty of blown up 5.0 that were supercharged..but..the reason is that some of these kids are bolting on blowers to motors that have over 100000 miles to them..or that have beaten up severly over the last 10 years. What pisses me off is that the local shops by me should no better and to recommend an engine rebuild first.

I Was at Island raceway Friday night and I saw a kid with a beautiful 93..he had 410 , some new holley intake headers exhaust..the car had 115000 miles..he was pulling 14.6 without nitrous, and 13.9 with(75 hp shot)..now..it doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure that his car had something seriously wrong....dont get me wrong..he was a very nice kid..but..he went on to tell me he is getting his procharger installed with 11 pounds of boost next week..now i want to know who is telling these kids to do that..that just infuriates me...he is going to blow that tired motor to kingdom come and be totally disappointed....most shops really dont give 2 sh*ts..that is indeed why u always ask many questions ..cover all bases....and be well educated when it comes to your car before talking to ANY shop...sorry..had to let it out..lol

sn8kbit
05-21-2002, 05:04 PM
just an off-hand thought here, since we're discussing roots blowers...
since the 03 is coming out here soon, i'm thinking ford will probably have the blower in the 2003 FRPP catalog, right? that'd include the intercooler most likely, and with the 03 base computer to start a tune from, it may be easier to work with than the KB.
sidenote: i ran a 94 GT with a KB, edelbrock heads, full length headers, 3.73 gears (on the street, please no soap boxes here...LOL) and pulled just about a full car on him. i'm pretty close to stock, except for pullies and exhaust. now, either it just wasn't tuned right, or the driver just didn't drive it right, but i don't think that should have happened, or the roots just aren't what they're cracked up to be.
i've been a fan of the roots style blower simply due to ease of operation/installation, but the more i'm finding out about heat and how it relates to intake temps thus to overall output, i have to agree, a centrifugal would be the way to go. the intercooler on the 03 tho changes things.
tuning is the whole ball of wax with any blower...

SVTNICK
05-21-2002, 05:19 PM
i did think about waiting to see what FR comes out with. BUT, im not holding my breath..even though we know which eaten blower they are using, (same one on the lightning with air intake located on back i think.) Im wondering if the intercooler on the 03 wcould be used in conjuntion with a Kb blower on an 01...actaully..hmm..i wonder what is on the saleens with SC..ill have to take alook at my friends GT...he has the saleen kit with a roots blower..ill have to take a good look ...

BAD PNY
05-21-2002, 08:23 PM
Actually..i believe mustang magic did jimmys install(thats according to this article http://www.kenne-bell.com/owners.asp ) CLub members from cjmf actaully told me about them bc of all the problems they had with a local shop by us which will remain nameless...I happened to ask Mustang Magic what they thought about KB and he said it happened to be what they prefer.... which is not what both Crazy Horse and Laroccas had told me..they wanted to install vortechs...which is not what I want. But I will look into getting in touch with Jimmy..thats actually a good idea..

I find it hard to believe that LaRocca's wanted to install a vortech. They love Procharger's and I have never seen them push any Vortech installs. Since you say you do not want a centrifugal why are you bantering ? Find a shop that will install the KB and be happy. Jimmy went 11.9X and it was on slicks with, 4.10's and exhaust etc. This was with the smaller KB blower. I have not seen the Blowzilla on a 4.6 yet.

You will have power similar to a stock 03, without the 6 speed, intercooler, upgraded clutch, flywheel, and warranty among other things. Sounds like a plan.

smashedheadcat
05-21-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by tcrews

Most people suffer when they get greedy for more power, though you'll run across the few unluckly ones that had 'unknown' engine problems before they added the blower....which of course brought out those problems quicker :)

And as luck would have it......... A moment of silence please.

:D :D :D :D