PDA

View Full Version : Block Internal mods need to support a supercharger?

jrs97cobra
03-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm new to Mustangs so please forgive my ignorance... I just bought a 97 Cobra that had been somewhat neglected over the years but all in all is a solid 100K mile car.

I would like to add at Stage 2 Pro Charger but am a little concerned about the engine being able to handle the extra power??

I have been told the block and heads are Aluminum and it has forged rods and pistons, is that correct?

The car has good compression and everything SEEMS to be solid from what I can tell, are there any necessary/recommended modifications I need to do to the engine before I put another 150+hp to it?

I've already ordered a 31 spline traction lok differential and axles for the rear end, but am still trying to decide on what to do with the gears?? It's a 5spd

So far the car is completely stock with the exception of an aftermarket exhaust system, high performace clutch, and 2" lowering kit installed by the previous owner (which I may take off).

cobrabitn
03-25-2012, 11:58 AM
My thoughts:

1. Put 4.10 gears in it
2. Leave the lowering springs on it
3. Why did you order a 31 spline axle? Do you plan to drag race?
4. You do not have forged pistons or rods, just the crank.
5. Do not go over 8 lbs of boost on a tired engine.

Welcome to our forums. :)

96RSvt
03-25-2012, 12:14 PM
As said, only 03-04 Cobra has forged internals, with an iron block. Stock block will handle an additional 150hp.

Have fun,

jrs97cobra
03-25-2012, 10:44 PM
8.0 psi is all I was going for so it's good to know I was on the right track there.

Not going to be drag racing just a "toy" to play with here and there.
My current rear end seems to be hit and miss with the traction lock (I've been told my clutches in the differential are burned up)..
So, I called BMR and they recommended the 31 spline differential from Tousley Ford, I figured for $175 bucks plus axles it was a pretty decent option. Apparently it is what they are running on the new Boss 302's.

I'll stick with the lowering kit as suggested, need to find some good shocks though. Any suggestions??

I appreciate the advise and direction very much!

96RSvt
03-29-2012, 10:20 PM
I'll stick with the lowering kit as suggested, need to find some good shocks though. Any suggestions??

If you are looking for a good non-adjustable, I would check out the new Koni SRT.T line. A great name at an entry level price, but far better quality than your standard run-of-the-mill shocks. At about $350 at set, they would be a nice complement to your lowering kit. Just my $.02....

OOPS, didn't see your other thread, should have posted this there.