PDA

View Full Version : 96 Cobra questions

gofasterdamit
12-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Hello. Brand new member! I have a line on a 96 cobra, need specs.
engine ( block, crank, rods, pistons, i know 4 valve heads, but are they good flowing), tranny ( 5 speed, but whose? possibly tremec?) rear gears (have heard 3.27? ), just need general info.
I have not bought this car yet, but pretty soon, im workin with the girl who owns it, and any info would be appreciated! thanks guys!

cobrabitn
12-04-2013, 09:34 PM
96s are known for over heating unless the radiator was changed out. Go here for technical specs.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/svtcobraspec96.php

gofasterdamit
12-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks! this info is a good start. these cars like gettin hot, huh?
Would a Flex a lite radiator be a good fix? Or something else?

smashedheadcat
12-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Hello. Brand new member! I have a line on a 96 cobra, need specs.
engine ( block, crank, rods, pistons, i know 4 valve heads, but are they good flowing), tranny ( 5 speed, but whose? possibly tremec?) rear gears (have heard 3.27? ), just need general info.
I have not bought this car yet, but pretty soon, im workin with the girl who owns it, and any info would be appreciated! thanks guys!

If stock, you will have an all aluminum 281 4.6. The block itself is one of the best blocks available in any ford. They are extremely durable in regard to how much power they can take. The crankshaft is also forged, and is good for huge power. The rods and pistons are not very strong in stock form however. They will hold up to around 450rwhp before they fail. Some get by with more, but that is not the norm. To keep it together, plan on around 400rwhp if you ever add a supercharger. The heads are the "b" heads. They are actually very good heads when ported. They are not as good as the "c" heads when unported, but the differences in potential are neglibable. The transmission is made by tremec, it is a t45. I broke mine at around the 500rwhp range. I took a few teeth off of the clustershaft and rendered it "unrepairable". However, they are good transmissions. They shift nice, and do not have much rotating weight, so as long as you are within their power constraints, you'll be good to go there. As Tony mentioned, the 96 cobras had cooling issues. Ford issued a TSB for fixing the issue back in the day. An easy way to tell if the TSB has been completed it to look for the honeycomb grill up front. If it is gone, then you're probably good to assume it has been completed. The 97 cobra seems to be the least problematic of the 96-98 cobras, but the 96 is essentially the same car. I wouldn't shy away from the 96 however.

smashedheadcat
12-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks! this info is a good start. these cars like gettin hot, huh?
Would a Flex a lite radiator be a good fix? Or something else?

The 1996 Cobra A/C condensors have many more blades per inch than 97-98 condensers have, so air doesn't flow as well. They overheat if you sit in traffic long enough. Ford had a TSB for the problem but never a recall. A simple aftermarket radiator, or switching to a 97-98 A/C condensor would fix the problem if the TSB has not been completed.

gofasterdamit
12-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Smashedheadcat, thanks a lot! Talked to the gal who has this car, shes sayin she might hang on to it, so more work is required to end up with it.:thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
12-15-2013, 02:52 PM
My pleasure. If you have any questions, post them up. I am not on here nearly as often as I used to be, but I'll back. If you have an questions, and need a quicker response, look up the SCMC facebook page. I am also available by email: Smashedheadcat@gmail.com