PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger !! M.P.G ? ? ?


winddy1
05-21-2002, 09:32 AM
Well -

not that it matters -
cuz if we were worried about gas mileage, we wouldn't have bought a Cobra ....

however -

our '98 is getting about 10 mpg ......



:eek: :eek: :eek:


However -

I wouldn't change a thing ....

'cept maybe getting it dyno'd ....

It has about 475 h.p. - so, were guessing approximately
400 or so at the rear wheels ??

We do not have a reliable dyno source around here .....

Were going to have to take it somewhere far to get it done...

winddy1
05-21-2002, 09:35 AM
I know -

I know


I guess maybe if I kept my foot off the gas pedal,
she'd do much better ....

most of the time, around here
(cops on every corner)

I don't even get into the "boost" ...

But when I do....

awesome !!

Highly recommend it -

that is, if you don't mind your loss of m.p.g.

She used to get 18 !!

tcrews
05-21-2002, 10:20 AM
Something doesn't sound right at all with your car then....when I was NA I got consistently around 24-25mpg (4.10 gears) and after adding the blower I got around 22-23mpg (getting into boost quite often).

You really need to have your car dyno-tuned if you are only getting 10mpg.....heck I get 18mpg now, and that's with way more power than your car is making.

Big Daddy
05-21-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by tcrews
Something doesn't sound right at all with your car then....when I was NA I got consistently around 24-25mpg (4.10 gears) and after adding the blower I got around 22-23mpg (getting into boost quite often).

You really need to have your car dyno-tuned if you are only getting 10mpg.....heck I get 18mpg now, and that's with way more power than your car is making.

ON the Interstate last week I got 21mpg. My milage around town is about 15mpg with getting on it. But she does drive around Chicago not here in the Carolina's maybe that's the difference?? But I agree I would get the car Dyno Tuned ASAP!!

winddy1
05-21-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by tcrews
Something doesn't sound right at all with your car then....when I was NA I got consistently around 24-25mpg (4.10 gears) and after adding the blower I got around 22-23mpg (getting into boost quite often).

You really need to have your car dyno-tuned if you are only getting 10mpg.....heck I get 18mpg now, and that's with way more power than your car is making.

--------------

You are so right !
We need to get it dyno'd bad ......

I just don't like the performance shop near us and we haven't had time to take it anywhere else ....

I'll start searching for another place .....

I will talk to Victor Ford about it and see if they have any suggestions for us .... I do know that they recommend the street shop near us - but no way ..... sorry, it's not going there....

glad to hear that your car is doing good !!
Have fun !! ....


:thumbsup: :bounce:


p. s.: drive safely !!

winddy1
05-21-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy


ON the Interstate last week I got 21mpg. My milage around town is about 15mpg with getting on it. But she does drive around Chicago not here in the Carolina's maybe that's the difference?? But I agree I would get the car Dyno Tuned ASAP!!


-----------------


ok -

that clinched it .....

New project .... FIND A REPUTABLE DYNO SOURCE IN THE CHICAGO AREA ... !!


Anderson Ford -
it's a bit far - but I'll check them out !!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce:

tcrews
05-21-2002, 10:34 AM
Anderson Ford has a very nice reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to take my car there at all.

Big Daddy
05-21-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by tcrews
Anderson Ford has a very nice reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to take my car there at all.

I would recomend True Blue in Raleigh but that is a bit of a way to go. Although while there last week with Stan there were two cars there from NYC!! :D ;) When you're the best people go out of the way to come to you. :D :D :D ;) Hell Stan made 300RWHP and 298 Torque with a chip tune by Randy, exhaust and a MAC cold air kit!! THAT IS IMPRESSIVE! :D :D :D

BecBec
05-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy


I would recomend True Blue in Raleigh but that is a bit of a way to go. Although while there last week with Stan there were two cars there from NYC!! :D ;) When you're the best people go out of the way to come to you. :D :D :D ;) Hell Stan made 300RWHP and 298 Torque with a chip tune by Randy, exhaust and a MAC cold air kit!! THAT IS IMPRESSIVE! :D :D :D
Hey BD, Stan's Theman....well, in my opinion anyway, his car is pretty darn cool also.........:D :D :D

winddy1
05-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by BecBec

Hey BD, Stan's Theman....well, in my opinion anyway, his car is pretty darn cool also.........:D :D :D


---------------


Yup -
from the pictures I've seen -
it sounds like it is a pretty darn cool car!!

:thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce:

97whitevert
05-21-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy


ON the Interstate last week I got 21mpg. My milage around town is about 15mpg with getting on it. But she does drive around Chicago not here in the Carolina's maybe that's the difference?? But I agree I would get the car Dyno Tuned ASAP!!


the best we have gotten is 26 mpg and mostly around 21 mpg

Black Snake
05-21-2002, 11:05 AM
What does

your A/R

look like

when

you're in

boost? :confused: :confused: :confused:

How about


at

idle? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
What

is


your base
fuel


presssure set

to. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

That doesn't seem




right.
It sounds


like you

are too




rich.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

winddy1
05-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Black Snake
What does

your A/R
look like
when

you're in
boost? :confused: :confused: :confused:

How about
at
idle? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
What

is

your base fuel
presssure set to. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

That doesn't seem right.
It sounds like you are too
rich.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

-----------------


yup -

Tim and I both agree -
it's running too rich ......

time to doo my homework !!

Rob -

I will find out !!

the answers to your above questions !!

Thanks for the help everyone !!

:thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce:

we will get it solved !!:thumbsup: :bounce:

svt_coupe
05-21-2002, 03:54 PM
Is it possible...

that you have a clogged

Fuel filter?


just a thought

Black Snake
05-21-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by tcrews
Anderson Ford has a very nice reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to take my car there at all.
That's true. Those guys know their stuff. I have their Power Pipe (good quality) and plenty of people have their cams, small blocks and head work done there. I'm not sure how close that is but I would look into that. http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

They probably don't do any chip tuning (especially since they are pushing their PMS set-up) but at least you will know what it's doing.

BecBec
05-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by winddy1



---------------


Yup -
from the pictures I've seen -
it sounds like it is a pretty darn cool car!!

:thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce: Hey Bonny! Meant to tell you, I loved your springtime in Chicago pics. Colors were awesome.:thumbsup:

98banana
05-21-2002, 07:22 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

redsnake99
05-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Agreed, something doesn't sound right with the low gas mileage you report, Bonny. I get about 22 mpg on the road, 4 on the track. Air/fuel ratio looks pretty even all the way across:

winddy1
05-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by BecBec
Hey Bonny! Meant to tell you, I loved your springtime in Chicago pics. Colors were awesome.:thumbsup:

--------------


thanks Becky !!

I put some more on their recently ....

we're having a pretty spring !!

Now, if it would just stop raining on the weekends ...

:mad:


oops, guess I'd better not complain ...
but then again,
I'd love to send some of that rain to someone who really needs it !!

winddy1
05-21-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by svt_coupe
Is it possible...

that you have a clogged

Fuel filter?


just a thought

--

I'm not sure ...
it's pretty new ...
and it has allot of power - I don't feel any lack that's for sure...


wouldn't you feel a lack of power if you had a clogged fuel filter?

winddy1
05-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Black Snake

That's true. Those guys know their stuff. I have their Power Pipe (good quality) and plenty of people have their cams, small blocks and head work done there. I'm not sure how close that is but I would look into that. http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

They probably don't do any chip tuning (especially since they are pushing their PMS set-up) but at least you will know what it's doing.


-----------------


I called them today (the one by us)
and they do not have a dyno -

there must be two Anderson Fords?

I will have to check that out .....

BAD PNY
05-21-2002, 09:31 PM
Bonny if you go to Michigan there are a few good tuners there. I am sure that Jimmy made your chip real fat for safety's sake. Do you still have cats ? headers ?

On the flip side who cares about MPG ? I haven't checked and could care less. I figure the less I am making the better the power... LOL

winddy1
05-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by BAD PNY
Bonny if you go to Michigan there are a few good tuners there. I am sure that Jimmy made your chip real fat for safety's sake. Do you still have cats ? headers ?

On the flip side who cares about MPG ? I haven't checked and could care less. I figure the less I am making the better the power... LOL


-------------------



We have the Bassani xpipe and catbacks ...

MPG ??

Well -

Until we get to that dyno - we are going to check the mpg a few more times ... a few more tanks

I may have made a mistake ...

(hey, I am a blonde ... ..) :rolleyes:

but then again - it does seem as if that needle moves awfully fast .....

I'll let you know in two more tanks ....

now, if the weather will just cooperate !!

still cannot find a good dyno ....

still searching !!

tcrews
05-22-2002, 11:35 AM
check out these places.....they all have dynos..

ILLINOIS

Anderson Ford Motorsport
P. O. Box 638
Rt. 10 West
Clinton 61727
Tel. 217-935-3106
Website: http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com

Anderson Motorsports
550 N. Chicago St.
Joliet 60432
Tel. 815-726-7866

APG Performance
364 E. Irving Park
Wood Dale 60191
Tel. 630-350-8981

Auto Moto Sports
2440 East Oakton St.
Arlington Heights, 60005
Tel. 847-427-9422

Cerra Racing
21501 Briar Bluff Rd
Colona 61241
Tel. 309-949-3445
Website: http://www.cerraracing.com

D & M Corvette Specialists, LTD.
1804 Ogden Ave.
Downers Grove 60515
Tel. 630-968-0031
Website: http://www.dmcorvette.com/

Finish Line Performance
10 South 059 Schoger
Naperville, 60564
Tel. 630-820-9294
Website: http://www.flpexhaust.com/

High Speed Performance
9955 South Virginia
Chicago Ridge, 60415
Tel. 815-483-3300

Judge Brothers Racing
209 W. North Ave.
Villa Park 60181
Tel. 630-993-1088

Oil-Chem Research Corp.
6800 W. 73rd St.
Bedford Park 60638
Tel. 708-728-0028

Performance Tech. Center
55 Gaylord
Elk Grove Village 60007
Tel. 847-228-7256
Website: http://www.PerformanceTechCenter.com

Precise Auto Truck Svc.
3054 N California
Chicago 60618
Tel. 773-588-0111

S Automotive, Inc.
4977 Torque Drive
Loves Park 61111
Tel. 815-633-1895
Email: snooksrace@a.net

Speed Inc.
1107-5 Lunt Ave
Schaumburg, 60193
Tel. 847-891-0767

Street Stuff Automotive
633 S. Addison
Addison 60101
Tel. 630-832-3773

Turbo Connection
103 Second Ave.
Edwardsville 62025
Tel. 618-659-0102
Website: http://www.turboconnection.com

UTI
601 Regency Drive
Glendale Heights 60139
Tel. 630-529-2662

Willy's Carburetor & Dyno Shop
1000 Market Street
Mt. Carmel 62863
Tel. 618-262-8021

winddy1
05-24-2002, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tcrews
[B]check out these places.....they all have dynos..

=============================

Wow !!

You did your homework !! Thanks a million !! :thumbsup:


Now, to make some phone calls .....


on the upside however,
she does seem to be doing better .....

We need to keep track of a few more tanks ...

I may have made an error ...

who me???? ...... :rolleyes:


anyway .... if the weather cooperates, we are taking her for several long ride's this weekend .....


I'll keep you posted. If we still see poor mpg -
then we will take it in.

It's just running so good .... both of us hate to even mess with it !!
..........................


:confused: :confused: However, we will do so if the mpg is that bad .....:eek:

winddy1
05-27-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by tcrews
check out these places.....they all have dynos..

ILLINOIS

Anderson Ford Motorsport
P. O. Box 638
Rt. 10 West
Clinton 61727
Tel. 217-935-3106
Website: http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com

Anderson Motorsports
550 N. Chicago St.
Joliet 60432
Tel. 815-726-7866

APG Performance
364 E. Irving Park
Wood Dale 60191
Tel. 630-350-8981

Auto Moto Sports
2440 East Oakton St.
Arlington Heights, 60005
Tel. 847-427-9422

Cerra Racing
21501 Briar Bluff Rd
Colona 61241
Tel. 309-949-3445
Website: http://www.cerraracing.com

D & M Corvette Specialists, LTD.
1804 Ogden Ave.
Downers Grove 60515
Tel. 630-968-0031
Website: http://www.dmcorvette.com/

Finish Line Performance
10 South 059 Schoger
Naperville, 60564
Tel. 630-820-9294
Website: http://www.flpexhaust.com/

High Speed Performance
9955 South Virginia
Chicago Ridge, 60415
Tel. 815-483-3300

Judge Brothers Racing
209 W. North Ave.
Villa Park 60181
Tel. 630-993-1088

Oil-Chem Research Corp.
6800 W. 73rd St.
Bedford Park 60638
Tel. 708-728-0028

Performance Tech. Center
55 Gaylord
Elk Grove Village 60007
Tel. 847-228-7256
Website: http://www.PerformanceTechCenter.com

Precise Auto Truck Svc.
3054 N California
Chicago 60618
Tel. 773-588-0111

S Automotive, Inc.
4977 Torque Drive
Loves Park 61111
Tel. 815-633-1895
Email: snooksrace@a.net

Speed Inc.
1107-5 Lunt Ave
Schaumburg, 60193
Tel. 847-891-0767

Street Stuff Automotive
633 S. Addison
Addison 60101
Tel. 630-832-3773

Turbo Connection
103 Second Ave.
Edwardsville 62025
Tel. 618-659-0102
Website: http://www.turboconnection.com

UTI
601 Regency Drive
Glendale Heights 60139
Tel. 630-529-2662

Willy's Carburetor & Dyno Shop
1000 Market Street
Mt. Carmel 62863
Tel. 618-262-8021


-------------------


by the way Tom -

how did you find all of those?

I had been searching for months .....

winddy1
05-27-2002, 02:25 AM
O.k. -


Next tank.


results --

13.5 mpg .....

approximately ....... combination highway/ stop and go / getting on it and taking it easy with it.

this next tank I'm going to keep better track of.


I think that first tank (10 mpg) that I gauged was partially loaded with lots of "idling" time .... when it was still off of the "insurance" ....

It seems to be doing better ... a few more tanks and the results will be in!

tcrews
05-27-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by winddy1

by the way Tom -

how did you find all of those?

I had been searching for months .....

Easy - http://www.dynojet.com/

winddy1
05-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by tcrews


Easy - http://www.dynojet.com/

---------------


thank you !

What would I do without you?

:)

98 Snakeman
06-01-2002, 12:40 AM
By the way, what does a good dyno tune and chip cost? Is it worth getting it done over just getting a custom chip?

redsnake99
06-01-2002, 12:43 AM
My cost for the Autologic chip and bunches of dyno runs to tune it right, $400.

Very much worth it. Had my mods for 25k miles now, car is running perfectly.

:D

winddy1
06-02-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by redsnake99
My cost for the Autologic chip and bunches of dyno runs to tune it right, $400.

Very much worth it. Had my mods for 25k miles now, car is running perfectly.

:D

=========================




cool - good for you Dave !!

can't wait to get a ride in it again !!


:burnout:

winddy1
06-02-2002, 10:02 AM
OK - results are in from the next tank !!



14.5 gallons this time.


And that wasn't babying it.

We are thinking that perhaps the engine/supercharger are still "breakin' in" ...

It seems like it is running better and better everytime we drive it.

We put about 50 miles on it yesterday.



Wow - we cannot believe how nice it is. Yes - it's fast.

But then again, it's not a beast. It is a real pleasure to drive!

Hums along the highway as happy as can be ...

but when you need the power - it's right there.

Right now !!

Neither one of us want to change a thing. Why fix it if it ain't broke, right?

I can now say this is the best car that I've ever had. Yes, even better than Sparky ... sorry Sparky ...

with the suspension mod's that we have done (Kenny Brown) it handles the bumps like they aren't even there.

There is absolutely no body roll, haven't seen any "hop", it turns on a dime ....

I couldn't ask for more.

Pinch me - I must be dreaming !!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

winddy1
06-06-2002, 11:37 AM
15 mpg this time !!

:thumbsup: :bounce: