PDA

View Full Version : Johnbasf, spring question for you?

SIUNARA
05-21-2002, 05:40 PM
John,

Not sure if I'm correct, but I believe you used to have the Eibach pro-kit on your car, and you switched to the H&R race springs. If that's true...I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the switch. I just ordered a set of the race springs, and I currently have the pro-kit, and I'm wondering how dramatic the difference is. Thanks!!

Don
:)

johnbasf
05-21-2002, 05:51 PM
The difference is huge. Your case may be different depending on the spring rate you got. I am very happy with the whole setup. Just go ahead and get the TA,PHB, and get it over with. :D :D :D When will we see you at the track again?? I saw where there is a new one outside of Pittsburgh, Beaver Run Raceway. My in laws live close to there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SIUNARA
05-21-2002, 06:08 PM
I got the race springs...I think the fronts are 850 and the rears are 260 to 280...not positive but I'm pretty sure. They will be installed next week somtime...along with the MM lower control arms. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The TA and PHB will be added a little later...I want to add a little at a time so I can really feel the difference of each part added, and so I don't piss off the "minister of finance" too much!! :D I finally got clearance to use the Cobra on the track rather than doing up the GT, so I'm taking it slow.

You will see me "at" the track in June at Summit Point...I won't be "on" the track again until CMP in early August. I am staying busy at the local autox's though, learning lots about the car and what I can do to improve as a driver. It's not bad for $20!!
:D :D

rshelbygt
05-21-2002, 06:21 PM
Don- Race springs, huh. Dammit man...I've done so well at not spending money on the car...now I've got to break into the savings again!

Race springs on your wife's daily driver...hmmmm...hope you like sleeping on the couch! Seriously, have you both driven a Mustang with that type of spring??? Try it first...you may or may not like it. Your car will spend 98% of the time on the street...and maybe 2% of the time on the track (for now anyway ;) I'd just hate to see you spend money on a mod that will get you in trouble down the road. I'm sure you've researched this already though.

Now...what can I order next for the GT..............................

98banana
05-21-2002, 06:28 PM
Yeah, when I bought my car, it was going to be for 98% street. Now it's not even legal on the street and a real pain in the arse to drive.

Go for the race springs. That way, she won't want to drive it and it'll become THE track car! :thumbsup:

rshelbygt
05-21-2002, 06:33 PM
Good point....this is a great way to get the Cobra all to yourself!!!!

I think you ought to take the A/C off like you talked about...and get rid of the mufflers. You can SHAKE, BAKE and HEADACHE her out of the Cobra and into the 93GT!!!:thumbsup:

98banana
05-21-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by rshelbygt
...SHAKE, BAKE and HEADACHE...

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

johnbasf
05-21-2002, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rshelbygt
Don- Race springs, huh. Dammit man...I've done so well at not spending money on the car...now I've got to break into the savings again!

Race springs on your wife's daily driver...hmmmm...hope you like sleeping on the couch! Seriously, have you both driven a Mustang with that type of spring??? Try it first...you may or may not like it. Your car will spend 98% of the time on the street...and maybe 2% of the time on the track (for now anyway ;) I'd just hate to see you spend money on a mod that will get you in trouble down the road. I'm sure you've researched this already though.

Now...what can I order next for the GT.............................. [/QUOTE

Jason you sound like my wife. :rotf: Tom is right, trust me.:D S,B,H :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rshelbygt
05-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Don--If she kicks you out due to the mods...hop in the Cobra and head South...I'll have a room (and a spot in the garage) waitin' on ya!!

By the way...Happy 1 year Anniversary (a little early...but I'll be in Texas for the real deal).:thumbsup:

svt_coupe
05-22-2002, 08:57 AM
GO WITH THE RACE SPRINGS!!!! I drove mine around with those spring rates for 3 years. If they are progressive rates, they won't be *that* bad on the road... :D :D

rshelbygt
05-22-2002, 12:19 PM
If Don lived down here...I would say 100% go for it...BUT, he lives in central Pennsylvania. We're talkin' roads that take a beating during the winter (large cracks, huge potholes...just a rough driving surface overall). I had some stiff springs in my 94GT when I lived up there...I didn't mind it (too much), but many of my passengers didn't enjoy the experience.

I just want to make sure he keeps the wife happy. If her car is ruined (in her opinion, not Don's), that will make it very difficult for him to do any more to the Cobra :( . That would be BAD!

Don---I know the way to keep everyone happy--- why don't the two of you just move back down here????????????:thumbsup:

svt_coupe
05-22-2002, 12:24 PM
Ahhh... PA roads are HORRIBLE... even worse than many New England roads.

SIUNARA
05-24-2002, 01:50 PM
Shake, Bake and Headache...I like that idea!!! :D :D

RACE SPRINGS IT IS!! I have no choice now...the Eibach's are sold already and the race springs will be here any day now. As for the air...it's currently not working, which is what sparked my idea to just get rid of it...needless to say that went over like a fart in church with the wife!! :( With black leather seats...we GOTTA HAVE AIR!!! :eek: Which sparks another idea...with no air...we should really get rid of the 500lb leather seats!! Damn you Jason...now I'm really gonna get in trouble!! :thumbsup:

As for the mufflers...the wife did say that she liked the sound of Bryan's car the most at CMP in March...maybe side pipes are not as far off as I thought!! Hey Jay...better make my bed and clear out one side of the garage!! :thumbsup: ;) :thumbsup:

johnbasf
05-24-2002, 10:53 PM
Don, I have a daughter going to college in the fall, I'll have an extra room !!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

98banana
05-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
Shake, Bake and Headache...I like that idea!!! :D :D

RACE SPRINGS IT IS!! I have no choice now...the Eibach's are sold already and the race springs will be here any day now. As for the air...it's currently not working, which is what sparked my idea to just get rid of it...needless to say that went over like a fart in church with the wife!! :( With black leather seats...we GOTTA HAVE AIR!!! :eek: Which sparks another idea...with no air...we should really get rid of the 500lb leather seats!! Damn you Jason...now I'm really gonna get in trouble!! :thumbsup:

As for the mufflers...the wife did say that she liked the sound of Bryan's car the most at CMP in March...maybe side pipes are not as far off as I thought!! Hey Jay...better make my bed and clear out one side of the garage!! :thumbsup: ;) :thumbsup:

I'm copying Bryan's side pipes this weekend on my car. Just keep in mind that he doesn't have mufflers. That's why it sounds so awesome.

SIUNARA
05-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Oh yeah...I'm aware of there being no mufflers present on Bryan's car...that's partly why I asked Jason to make my bed and clear out the garage...cause if I remove the mufflers...there will be BIG TROUBLE in little State College!!!:eek: :D

Thanks for the offer John...I'll let ya know if I need it. The way things are going...Jay and I may both need to stay at your house!! :D ;) :D

Oh Jason...guess what came in the mail today...an unexpected check from Uncle Sam...guess he thought we were owed an extra $325! And the funny part is...that's just about the same as MM charges for a panhard bar...hhmm...wonder where that money might go!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :D

rshelbygt
05-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Greetings from San Antonio, Texas!!! Yeah, we're from Charlotte, but we made the 1250 mile trek to San Antonio yesterday (in the Mustang...what a ride)!! Ended up traveling with a Bullitt and a 98 GT from Texas A&M for about 100 miles yesterday...we were lined up on I10 doing the speed limit (yeah, right! :) . Had to see if this site was back up...glad to see that it is!

Can't wait to see all of you guys again (Don, Tom, John, Bryan, etc.)!! Wish I had enough $$ in the account to compete with you big dogs. Someday.....

Don...make sure to spend that Uncle Sam money on the Cobra. That will give me an excuse to spend some of our savings on the GT.

Don...save those leather seats for me!! I would like to put them in the 66 Mustang when I get that back together.

Tom-- Can't wait to hear the Banana with no mufflers...that ought to sound sweet!! I am still amazed by your car...can't wait to see it out on the track again (see you at Summit Point in June??).

John--I just looked at the pics from Hooters in Greensboro...I have a nice shot of your rig (Lightning and Mystic). I also have a great shot of your rear suspension set up...I'll post the pics when I get back to NC!\

Bryan--Let me know if you ever need any help working on the Cobra...I don't live too far from you...and I love getting my hands dirty working on a 'Stang!!

Talk to you guys later!--Jason

johnbasf
05-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Hey Jason, take a trip to Lackland AFB and see the air museum on the parade grounds. Later

svt_coupe
05-28-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by rshelbygt
Bryan--Let me know if you ever need any help working on the Cobra...I don't live too far from you...and I love getting my hands dirty working on a 'Stang!!

Man... I wished I had read this before yesterday!! Tom and I put in a Canton pan on my car!! (Tom Lewis is the man...)

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that offer...

Email me at svt_coupe@yahoo - where in CLT do you live?

SIUNARA
06-01-2002, 12:32 AM
Well, the race springs are in and I'm happy to say I'm not going to be sleeping on the couch tonight!! ;)

I must say that after having the springs and the LCA's put on...the car handles TONS better!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

To be honest, the ride quality is MUCH BETTER with the race springs than it was with the Eibach's...the springs match the Bilstein's perfectly, and handle bumps and corners like never before!! I'm one very happy customer and I plan on letting MM know how happy when I call to order my panhard bar within the next few weeks!!! :D :thumbsup: :D

By the way...I'm also happy to say that I'm now a proud dues paying member of the SCMC!!!! Got my confimation e-mail today!!

:D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

johnbasf
06-01-2002, 08:56 AM
Great to hear Don. Does this mean you'll be running the car at Summit Pt. this month? :D :D

johnbasf
06-01-2002, 08:57 AM
Oh, and welcome to the club. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SIUNARA
06-01-2002, 11:43 PM
No, won't be running at Summit Point...only watching. :(

I will be running at CMP in early Aug. though. I'll be running at several autox events in my area up until that time as well...really helps with learning better car control and curbs my appetite for open tracking for a period of time...a VERY SHORT period of time!! ;)