PDA

View Full Version : snake oil or Rattle snake? Longish

ballistic
05-27-2002, 02:31 AM
I took my car in because it was making a rattling sound for a second after cold startup. My car has about 5000 miles on it the oil and filter had less than 2000 miles on them both where good name brand products appropriate for this application. So the technician tries to tell me the oil is the wrong viscosity I tell him that's B.S. I us the same viscosity the owners manual said to use. He also gives me grief about the nonfactory filter. After being without my car for three days I get it back only to find the only thing that was done is they changed the oil without asking me and want to charge me for it. Well, I didn't pay for the oil change and the rattle is either gone or I can no longer hear it. So has anybody else had engine noise on cold starts with other oils?

NO 5 OH
05-27-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ballistic
So has anybody else had engine noise on cold starts with other oils?

Mine does it as well, and I took it to one of the area dealerships to have it looked at, and all I got was "normal harmonics" :rolleyes: The other SVT dealership in the area has the master tech there work on all SVT vehicles, and several people told me to go talk to him. I did so... and he asked me the mileage on the car and what weight oil I was running in it. I told him I was running Amsoil 5W-30 and it was changed not very long ago. He told me that first thing he'd do would be to change the oil to Ford specs, at which point I told him it was doing it before I ever changed the oil in my car in the first place. He told me that's what Ford would tell him to do, and if it still did it on cold start up then I might get a Ford engineer to come out and look at it, to take an oil sample. I told him that I'd let him know something soon, and I have yet to take my car up there to him. It still rattles when it sits over night, but when I change the oil again to "factory specs" then I'll go talk to him again.

ballistic
05-27-2002, 06:58 PM
NO 5 OH I was using the same oil as the factory spec SAE 5w20 but I was using Casterol GTX instead of Motocraft. I just don't understand how there could be this much difference in two oils of the same viscosity. My car also was making noise with the original oil and I had told the dealer about it before all this took place. what oil filter did you use?

NO 5 OH
05-29-2002, 01:27 AM
NO 5 OH I was using the same oil as the factory spec SAE 5w20 but I was using Casterol GTX instead of Motocraft. I just don't understand how there could be this much difference in two oils of the same viscosity. My car also was making noise with the original oil and I had told the dealer about it before all this took place. what oil filter did you use?

I used the factory spec Motorcraft filter (F-820S I believe) but I'm positive it's got nothing to do with the filter. I remember a post on another board some time ago saying the old Lincoln Mark VIII's had a similar problem with one of the cam chain tensioners. The problem with them was fixed under a recall. I somehow don't think Ford's willing to do the same for our cars yet :(

I don't understand why they're giving you a hard time about the oil/filter you're running as long as it's the same as what the factory calls for. I'd consider taking it to another dealer after them doing what they did to you. Both of our cars are True Blue... so maybe thats the culprit ;)

ballistic
05-29-2002, 02:10 AM
Well, it looks like it might be time to go back to the dealer again. After 150 miles and 4 cold starts with no noise on the fresh motorcraft oil and filter its at it again. :mad:
I thought about the cam chain tensioner and I also read that some of the DOHC engines had the crankshaft sprocket installed backwards causing some problems.
I will find out what my options are but SVT dealers are scarce in these parts. However I don't think I will be having problems with them anymore. :getsome:

ballistic
06-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Well, the service writer, the technician, and the service manager where all able to hear the rattle when I started it for them this morning and they all said the same thing that its normal due to the tight tolerance and the lack of oil pressure at cold startup. And one of the techs that works there has one that does the same thing WTF? So the tight tolerance of the engine is part of the reason it is doing this? :doubt: sounds like B.S. to me. But the lack of oil pressure sounds more like the problem. Looks like I'm in the market for a preoiler of some kind.

Big Daddy
06-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Well, the service writer, the technician, and the service manager where all able to hear the rattle when I started it for them this morning and they all said the same thing that its normal due to the tight tolerance and the lack of oil pressure at cold startup. And one of the techs that works there has one that does the same thing WTF? So the tight tolerance of the engine is part of the reason it is doing this? :doubt: sounds like B.S. to me. But the lack of oil pressure sounds more like the problem. Looks like I'm in the market for a preoiler of some kind.

Talk to Kevin on the boards here he has an oil sump pump on his 00R to avoid this same problem! :D

ballistic
06-11-2002, 03:31 PM
What kind of oiler does he have? I am thinking about the accusump because of its simplicity.

Big Daddy
06-11-2002, 03:55 PM
What kind of oiler does he have? I am thinking about the accusump because of its simplicity.

I believe that is what he is using I'm thinking that Dean95R has one also. If not he'll know for sure wich one Kevin is using. :D

ballistic
07-01-2002, 05:21 PM
I just received my accusump 1/2 hour ago and I have one warning for every one be sure you check all the fittings. I caught it just after removing it from the box the pressure relief valve was only finger tight and its on the oil side of the tank, could have been one he!! of a mess. Don't take for granted the fact some fittings are pre installed check them all. 2 or 3 times even.
:hail: :firedevil

JoesCobra
04-23-2004, 09:43 PM
did it work?<!--StartFragment -->

ausie
04-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I used to have very much the same issue as described. I figured perhaps the passages may have been gunked up a bit. That issue began right after putting mobil 1 in the block and continued to occur even with any other oil no matter what it was. I am not claiming that Mobil 1 was the cuase, although it did start right after the second time I used it which had the new additive in it. I just thought it was lifter noise and lack of oil in the heads since synthetics flow better than conventional oils. It usually went away after warming up the engine. Just this year, I cleaned out the combustion chambers with water and isopropal alcohol as a last resort to remove carbon deposits (it worked, the intake cleaner did not). I did a complete oil change afterwards just in case any of the chemicals and or water made its way into the oil. Before I changed the oil, I put in a few ounces of Chemtool B-12 ran the motor for 5 minutes then changed it. I no longer hear that noise at start up! Thanks for the tip on the hydrolic chain tensioner. I thought is was the hydrolic valve-lash adjusters. That is one reason I prefer the AMSOIL 20w-50 racing oil because it has a long cling time as compared to other oils. It is not as thick as you would expect it to be (it is just as thin as the 5w-20).

nckissfan
04-25-2004, 11:13 AM
I love when the dealer gets on you, because you are not using a Ford part. Like a Fram oilfilter, or other namebrand will not work properly in the car. Yeah right. When my spark plug wire went out on my Cobra, the dealer told me no other kind would work. Well, I consulted with a friend of mine, and he told me to tell them to stick it. I went with the MSD wires, bigger, and they work great.

But, I guess those guys get paid to try and sell you their stuff.

ausie
04-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Just keep in mind that they need to be in business, and what do business people do? Especially dealerships. :rolleyes: Could you imagine what would happen if they told you the truth :eek: . Just to point out one thing, they have guidlines to follow. The first thing they want to look for is aftermarket products so they can charge you a non-warrenty repair. It is almost as bad as telling you that those shiney new valve caps you put on your tires caused piston #4 to misfire. Even if you diagnose the problem and have it nailed properly they may not even fix it since they have to follow the written repair guide. For example, I had heating problems with my explorer and since I had the extended warrenty I took it in and told them the thermostat was bad, What did they do? replace the water pump. Then I had it brought back on a flatbed and said the thermostat was bad since the engine was spiking and overheating, Guess what they did next? they replaced the water pump again????? took it for a test drive and bingo, blew the motor on me. It turns out that the thermostat was stuck open, they shaved the heads and rebuilt the motor and told me it had a bad thermostat..... but they never replaced it. I wound up replacing the motor out of my pocket when the warrenty ran out. Their records should have shown them that they replaced the water pump, but for some reason or another they replaced it twice. I am not willing to let them work on my Cobra for that reason.