PDA

View Full Version : throttle bodies

mjpf
05-27-2002, 10:23 AM
info please, can anyone tell me what size inj. and throttle body is stk on my 99 cobra? has anyone got an opinion on larger throttle and if inj should be changed, or a waste of money no blower but pullies,chip,h-pipe,87maf,4.10 gear.thanx mike:bounce:

smashedheadcat
05-27-2002, 04:44 PM
I believe that the '99s have a twin 57mm throttle body and 24# injectors. My opinion on upgrading throttle bodies: I've never heard of BBK's throttle body giving any car additional HP or TQ. They say it CAN flow more than the stock one, but the 57mm is plenty efficient enough for 99% of cobras. They haven't added any power on supercharged cars either. Unless of course you've got like 600rwhp or something. But, in the new MM&FF article, they saw a gain of 30rwhp on a supercharged 2001 cobra....... go figure.

SVTNICK
05-27-2002, 06:11 PM
yeah..i read that article..it was after 5000 rpm or so and it spiked 30 hp..they couldnt believe it..so they redid the test a few times, and again got the same result. By itself in naturally aspirated form I believe they netted 6 hp..if i remember right it was an accufab throttle body..which u can get from sean hyland for a whopping $300 and change. Yeah..i ordered one..that and long tubes... ..i just still have to figure out what SC to get.

smashedheadcat
05-27-2002, 09:21 PM
Yes, it was an accufab throttle body. Single blade. I was pretty surprized at the results myself. If i see a few more cobras getting the same results with that throttle body........ then i'll go ahead and fork the $$$$ over for one.

SVT4POP
05-28-2002, 03:32 PM
Just to add to the thread, ...

I have a '99 Cobra which I bought used at 35k miles. It's possible the previous owner had the T/B replaced (I found out when I went to have 4.10's installed that there were already 3.73's in rather than the stock 3.27's that the previous owner had put in but that neither I nor the dealer was aware of when I bought the car)

Anyhow, I added the BBK twin 65mm T/B along with a C&L 80mm MAF and it appeared to add about 8 rwhp off of the dyno. I think the cost of the T/B was about $329. The T/B they took off was a single bladed one that I presumed was stock, but now I'm beginning to wonder. The only problem (minor) that I experienced was that the T/B spring was a little too stiff and initially would stick open at about 4k rpm. It was easily fixed however, by a little WD-40 therapy.

Since the original MAF was a plastic "ungutted" wonder I can't be 100% sure just how much the T/B vs. the MAF added, ... others on this site will probably comment...

As far as I know "smashedheadcat" is correct, ... my Cobra has stock 24# injectors and that's what I believe I read on the spec. page of my owner's manual.:thumbsup:

SVTNICK
05-28-2002, 03:37 PM
u might want to take a closer look at the throttle body u took off..stock they are twin blade..not single.

SVT4POP
05-28-2002, 03:51 PM
SVTNICK ...

YEAH, I hear you, being a novice Cobra owner since last February I'm beginning to think the previous owner may have done a few more mod's than I realized or knew. I still have the T/B and intend to find out what its flow rate is ... my guess is it may be an 80mm ... is that possible?

All I can say is the car is an absolute kick in the pants ... and my teenage car enthusiasm for muscle machines has re-awakened, ... what a rush when I'm in third or fourth at about 3500 rpm and smash the gas. There may be other cars that accelerate as quick or quicker, but the expression of power in the quickness of the Cobra's response/velocity is still remarkable if not addictive.:rotf:

Ken 01-Cobra
05-28-2002, 04:06 PM
Just FYI...the C&L MAF kit probably gave you the majority of your gains. I got 14.2 peak HP with mine, and didn't touch the TB. Lee said that 8-9 was normal, so I was quite happy! You can see the dyno charts by following the link in my sig if you're interested.

BAD PNY
05-28-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by SVT4POP
SVTNICK ...

YEAH, I hear you, being a novice Cobra owner since last February I'm beginning to think the previous owner may have done a few more mod's than I realized or knew. I still have the T/B and intend to find out what its flow rate is ... my guess is it may be an 80mm ... is that possible?

All I can say is the car is an absolute kick in the pants ... and my teenage car enthusiasm for muscle machines has re-awakened, ... what a rush when I'm in third or fourth at about 3500 rpm and smash the gas. There may be other cars that accelerate as quick or quicker, but the expression of power in the quickness of the Cobra's response/velocity is still remarkable if not addictive.:rotf:

It is probably the 70mm FRPP throttle body. I know what you mean about the kick in the pants. I only have one thought for you do not ride in a blown cobra. The acceleration is crazy ;)

I thought mine was fast till I did the blower... It has been paraphrased as "riding with a loaded gun and knowing at any moment you can unleash it on some unsuspecting individual"

SVT4POP
05-29-2002, 02:29 PM
BAD PNY, ...

I really can't imagine what it's like to "pilot" a blown or s/c'd Cobra although it may not be too long before I fall to the temptation to go outside my originally set "n/a" threshhold.

To me, it must be like sitting on the front end of a Cruise missle with a 5-speed in your hand. W-h-o-o-o-o-e-e-e-e-e !:bounce:

Hey SVTNICK I am a little chagrined if not embarassed, ... you know the older you get the two things that go first are the memory and ... I can't remember the other :confused: Anyway, after your last post in response to mine about the original T/b configuration for Cobra's I went out into my garage to find the old one I'd removed, ... sure enough you were right it was a twin "butterfly" and my guess is that it's probably twin 57mm ??? :thumbsup:

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge that owners like you and the others have and are willing to share, ... my learning curve's on the move and I hope to add to it as I continue to enjoy my Cobra experience. Thanks again.

wbpo
10-17-2002, 11:44 AM
My experience was positive with BBK. I did notice what "felt" like more power. What was more obvious to me was what I would describe as a flatter power curve. Prior to the BBK TB, my '01 Cobra would excellerate to a point and then really start taking off at around 5k. Now the car feels more torquie down at 2k and the response is much smoother.

I should also add that I already had the BBK CAI (what a work of art) and Flowmaster Catback. All of which probably helped process the additional air the BBK Twin 65mm TB offered.