PDA

View Full Version : More weight removal

svt_coupe
06-10-2002, 01:49 PM
In the never ending and ever present quest for a lower weight-to-power ratio, I keep locating useless items on my car and removing them. These past 2 weekends, I've been busy chasing that 9.5:1 goal. I'm still far from it, but getting closer. The best part about removing stuff - it's free performance. :D

Last weekend (2 ago):
- Thanks to Phat-s (Adam), we pulled the front half of my Autopower cage out. Then pulled the dash out. I really wish I had a digital camera because the carnage was a sight to see. I have no clue how we got everything back together... Anyhow, the end goal was removing the AC/heater core. Took a while to figure out that there was one inconspicuous bolt in the fire wall (wasn't in the shop manual) that was holding everything in place. After we found that bolt, out came the core. It left 3 gaping holes in the firewall that had to be covered over with sheet aluminum and a few rivets (yes Will, I too love rivets now). Then the dash was bolted back in place, as was the cage.

- all AC lines were removed and the AC condensor (ok that was a while ago and I think I posted that already)

This past weekend:
- door glass, tracks, and regulator removed along with the wiring harnesses. Thanks rshelbygt (Jason) for the assistance. Once we figured out the easy way to remove the rivets that held the window in place (a good drift pin/punch), the windows came right out. We then placed the old windows on a sheet of plexiglass and traced them. Cut out and exact copy of them in plexiglass. I'll be using these to keep out water for storing and towing. Also, they will be used to keep rain out at the track. Used a medium bit jig saw to cut out the Plexiglass. Worked like a charm and I think I'll be going to some Lexan quarter windows and rear window soon.

- since the AC condensor is no longer in place, I had to take a sheet of that mesh steel to place about 2" in front of the radiator to protect it from debris. Looks racer cool. Again, wish I had a camera.

Net gain? Not too sure. However, I took all of the window components (less the glass) and all of the AC components (less the condensor and compressor) and put them in a box. It weighed about 40-50 lbs. Figure about 10-15 pounds (??) in glass per side, a condensor, and a compressor... probably about 100 lbs total. Not too bad.

Next up is the smog pump and tar paper on the floor. Then comes the Lexan windows... :D

redsnake99
06-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Bryan, didn't you see what happened to Tom Lewis after he made his car too light? Beware!

:D

svt_coupe
06-10-2002, 04:51 PM
Damn, Dave just jinxed me. :(

justagt
06-10-2002, 05:00 PM
Rivets are my heroes. In fact, most of my car is held together with them.

Shugg, why not use Plexi in the side and rear windows?

svt_coupe
06-10-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by justagt
Shugg, why not use Plexi in the side and rear windows?

Already on top of that... :D

sn8kbit
06-10-2002, 05:09 PM
rivets? rivets? and i thought you guys were southerners. shoulda used duct tape, that stuff works wonders! LOL:rotf:

svt_coupe
06-10-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by sn8kbit
rivets? rivets? and i thought you guys were southerners

Nah dude. Will is the southerner. I'm from Jersey. Fawgettaboudit. :D

COBRA #17
06-10-2002, 08:00 PM
You are a true top statesman ( nice way of saying DAMN YANKY !) rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Man I love this !!!!!:p Still not returning voice mails I see !!! I bet thats what you and your mommy were talking about !!! I hope she threatened to SPANK you !!! :spanked:

AI East Asst. Director
COBRA #17

sn8kbit
06-10-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by svt_coupe

I'm from Jersey. Fawgettaboudit. :D

great, now i have to rent one of those big caddy's with the 3 body trunk just to fit in when i head out that way next month to watch you attempt to race...:rotf: :rotf:

justagt
06-11-2002, 07:58 AM
:confused:
Uh, I use duct tape.

svt_coupe
06-11-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by COBRA #17
Man I love this !!!!!:p Still not returning voice mails I see !!! I bet thats what you and your mommy were talking about !!! I hope she threatened to SPANK you !!! :spanked:

Hoover you tulip. When did you call me??! I haven't received a call from you since we talked about your K-member at Don's shop.

Yeah... what's wrong with duct tape?!?!?!

COBRA #17
06-11-2002, 09:55 PM
I called sat or sun and left a message. :rolleyes:
NO problem I understand !!!
Tulip : :confused: I don't get it?? Remember I'm a dumb ole country boy!!!:thumbsup: I've got a pic I've been meening to send you .

This is the view from 100 yards up the road from my house!!

AI EAST Asst. Director
COBRA #17

svt_coupe
06-12-2002, 10:17 AM
hmm... my cell phone provider is about to get nuked. You are one of many that I've never received message. Cingular blows.

I'll call you tonight... calling Elyse to square some things away so I'll call you then... hill billy!!!

(that picture is awesome!! I love the Virginia hills)