PDA

View Full Version : Were hooked - and we need help!

winddy1
06-11-2002, 10:12 AM
OK -

yes, were hooked.

Flash did a good job - were pleased with the suspension.

And, without them Hawk pads we would've been - well, we probably would've taken a few excursions ....

However, we want to do some upgrades ....

SEATS !! adjustable & lay back .. (any recommendations?)

Roll Cage ....

Brakes / Rotors (Brembo?) ? ?

we need a bit more h.p. - but were not ready for a supercharger yet ...

And, we need to fix that rear oil spray ..
that has got to go !!!

Were also thinking about long tube headers,
pulleys and timing adjuster ...

Thomas - your car is awesome !!

Let's get some discussions going -
however, please remember that we still want to be able to drive this Cobra on the street for awhile ...

winddy1
06-11-2002, 10:13 AM
One more thing --

those S03's are nice -

but the S02's did a better job .....

we were both beginning to push those S03's to the limits.

We need to probably keep those for the wet driving and go for something else for dry .....

winddy1
06-11-2002, 10:16 AM
.... we've got the sickness !!

thomasmoran1
06-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by winddy1
OK -

yes, were hooked.

Flash did a good job - were pleased with the suspension.

And, without them Hawk pads we would've been - well, we probably would've taken a few excursions ....

However, we want to do some upgrades ....

SEATS !! adjustable & lay back .. (any recommendations?)

Roll Cage ....

Brakes / Rotors (Brembo?) ? ?

we need a bit more h.p. - but were not ready for a supercharger yet ...

And, we need to fix that rear oil spray ..
that has got to go !!!

Were also thinking about long tube headers,
pulleys and timing adjuster ...

Thomas - your car is awesome !!

Let's get some discussions going -
however, please remember that we still want to be able to drive this Cobra on the street for awhile ...

I think that the seats in Dean's car are the ones that you should check out. They have a sub belt hole which is VERY important. I sat in them at Road Atlanta and they seem to be exactly what you want.

For a roll cage it depends on what you want to do. If you are only going to be running FAIRLY safe tracks like gingerman then a bolt in 4 point should be fine. On the other hand if you plan on going to big tracks like Road Atlanta then I think you should go with nothing less then a custom six point cage. Remember that you are going to be doing over a 140 mph there and if something goes wrong you want as much protection as you can get.

For brake rotors the brembo's are the best out there period. Unless you go to a two part rotor.

Don't even worry about HP for a couple of years. Look at Tom Lewis, his car has a stock engine and if he was at gingerman he would have been faster than me. Road racing is all about braking and suspension. For example a formula V car which has about 45 hp would have lapped about 2-3 seconds faster than me at gingerman just because they are so fast through corners. All that more horsepower will do is get you into trouble coming off of slow turns. Plus more HP is harder on things like diffs and transmissions. You would be much better off spending that long tube money on suspension parts.

Remember that this is just my 2 very small cents. In the end its all about making the car the way you want it and not what someone else tells you it should be.

Talk to you soon
Thomas

winddy1
06-11-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by thomasmoran1

Don't even worry about HP for a couple of years. Look at Tom Lewis, his car has a stock engine and if he was at gingerman he would have been faster than me. Road racing is all about braking and suspension. For example a formula V car which has about 45 hp would have lapped about 2-3 seconds faster than me at gingerman just because they are so fast through corners. All that more horsepower will do is get you into trouble coming off of slow turns. Plus more HP is harder on things like diffs and transmissions. You would be much better off spending that long tube money on suspension parts.

Remember that this is just my 2 very small cents. In the end its all about making the car the way you want it and not what someone else tells you it should be.

Talk to you soon
Thomas

=================

thanks Thomas -

first question, before I overwhelm you...

suspension parts ??
Like, what else are you suggesting?
For me - the suspension was great .... (KB)
Tim said he was pretty happy with it as well....
maybe just a few more things, but it seemed to handle very well ...

so - fork out them suggestions and let's have a discussion !!

johnbasf
06-11-2002, 09:02 PM
A ton more seat time!!!! That is the best mod you can do. Tom took my car out and was running 6 seconds faster than me.:thumbsup: I have a great setup, now I need seat time to figure out how to use it better. You two looked great out there, get more seat time and save your money for track events. I think Tim is going to run the vent to the trunk, or do a diff cooler. SEAT TIME!!!!!!!!

johnbasf
06-11-2002, 09:04 PM
A side note, Tom was not pushing my car to his driving limits!!! I could tell by watching the video.

98banana
06-11-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
A side note, Tom was not pushing my car to his driving limits!!! I could tell by watching the video.

I don't know... I pushed it hard enough to overheat it. :( I still feel bad about that. Have you decided on a new radiator yet?

Did you hear Janis giggling in the passenger seat? She wasn't doing that in the Focus. I guess she's a v8 girl. :D

johnbasf
06-11-2002, 09:23 PM
I cranked it up today to get it off the trailer, it overheated again. I took Jimmy's advice and let it cool and removed the black plug in the bypass tube. I filled it with distilled water and it was fine after that. I will be looking into a Steeda Radiator. I did hear Janice in the video, that was funny. Don't feel bad Tom, I learned from watching your in-car, THANKS

thomasmoran1
06-11-2002, 10:56 PM
A ton more seat time!!!! That is the best mod you can do. Tom took my car out and was running 6 seconds faster than me.:thumbsup: I have a great setup, now I need seat time to figure out how to use it better. You two looked great out there, get more seat time and save your money for track events. I think Tim is going to run the vent to the trunk, or do a diff cooler. SEAT TIME!!!!!!!!

I'm with John all the way on that one. Just look at Brian Shugg. Nothing can make you faster then a ton of seat time. It doesn't matter what kind of car you have, its how you drive it.

BTW John, was Tom using the same line I was through turns 7 and 8?

thomasmoran1
06-11-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by winddy1

=================

thanks Thomas -

first question, before I overwhelm you...

suspension parts ??
Like, what else are you suggesting?
For me - the suspension was great .... (KB)
Tim said he was pretty happy with it as well....
maybe just a few more things, but it seemed to handle very well ...

so - fork out them suggestions and let's have a discussion !!

Once you have a lot of seat time and start to do big things with the suspension there are basically two ways you can go. Full track car or street/Track car. However you will find that after a certain point things that make a track car perform better start to suck on the street (thinks like stiff shocks and striped interiors). I believe that if you are going to make a full track car then it is all about Griggs (Or maximum Motorsports, Right John and Dean). We have their whole front end and I think that Dean will vouch for how well our car turns in. There is a reason that almost every car in American Iron is running a Griggs setup. They simply are the best in my opinion. With that being said you know that we have the Kenny brown IRS control arms and we are very happy with our setup. After playing with Dean for about five laps during the last session on Sunday I could see were a live axle would ultimately be faster then the Cobra IRS no matter how much money you put into it.

If you want to make Flash as fast as possible, pull the IRS and put in a Griggs hybrid rear end with a watts linkage (Tom knows much more about live axles then I do). Then put in a full Griggs front end like Tomís or ours.

97whitevert
06-11-2002, 11:26 PM

Once you have a lot of seat time and start to do big things with the suspension there are basically two ways you can go. Full track car or street/Track car. However you will find that after a certain point things that make a track car perform better start to suck on the street (thinks like stiff shocks and striped interiors). I believe that if you are going to make a full track car then it is all about Griggs (Or maximum Motorsports, Right John and Dean). We have their whole front end and I think that Dean will vouch for how well our car turns in. There is a reason that almost every car in American Iron is running a Griggs setup. They simply are the best in my opinion. With that being said you know that we have the Kenny brown IRS control arms and we are very happy with our setup. After playing with Dean for about five laps during the last session on Sunday I could see were a live axle would ultimately be faster then the Cobra IRS no matter how much money you put into it.

If you want to make Flash as fast as possible, pull the IRS and put in a Griggs hybrid rear end with a watts linkage (Tom knows much more about live axles then I do). Then put in a full Griggs front end like Tomís or ours.

given all this.... what are your thoughts, Thomas, on either a fox-body or 94-98 , for a dedicated track car? still up in the air on which to go with.....

thomasmoran1
06-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by 97whitevert

given all this.... what are your thoughts, Thomas, on either a fox-body or 94-98 , for a dedicated track car? still up in the air on which to go with.....

The one to go with is a 94-95 cobra for a bunch of reasons. This tread will tell you everything you want to know.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1976

Talk to you soon
Thomas

97whitevert
06-11-2002, 11:39 PM

The one to go with is a 94-95 cobra for a bunch of reasons. This tread will tell you everything you want to know.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1976

Talk to you soon
Thomas

oh yeah... i remeber that one now... Thanks!! yeah, we'll talk soon...:thumbsup:

98banana
06-12-2002, 06:56 AM

I'm with John all the way on that one. Just look at Brian Shugg. Nothing can make you faster then a ton of seat time. It doesn't matter what kind of car you have, its how you drive it.

BTW John, was Tom using the same line I was through turns 7 and 8?

:rotf: :rotf: My line was so screwed up for the first few laps, he probably can't even tell what the heck I was doing. I had been driving the momentum line for 2 days and had a hard time changing to the power line, especially in 5 & 6.

In John's car, I was trying to turn in at 7 with a normal line, clip the apex and drift out to about 4 or 5 feet from the edge. As I came around 8, I would slowly close back into the right side and ride next to the concrete. Then towards the end of the concrete, turn in for 9, clipping the apex and drifting back out to the cone at the exit. It was about the same as I was doing in the Focus, except in the Focus, I made a straight line between 8 and 9. 9 would have been too wide and scrubbed off speed.

I have no idea if that made any sense or if it is even the correct line...

winddy1
06-12-2002, 05:58 PM

I think that the seats in Dean's car are the ones that you should check out. They have a sub belt hole which is VERY important. I sat in them at Road Atlanta and they seem to be exactly what you want.

For a roll cage it depends on what you want to do. If you are only going to be running FAIRLY safe tracks like gingerman then a bolt in 4 point should be fine. On the other hand if you plan on going to big tracks like Road Atlanta then I think you should go with nothing less then a custom six point cage. Remember that you are going to be doing over a 140 mph there and if something goes wrong you want as much protection as you can get.

For brake rotors the brembo's are the best out there period. Unless you go to a two part rotor.

Talk to you soon
Thomas

======================

you know what? You are so right about the h.p. part -

I myself didn't even think about that until Tim mentioned it ..

hey, he's an Italian, what else would you expect from him ??

;) :D

I doo agree with you about that extra h.p. just getting us into trouble ....

however,
I do know that there were a few times that I allowed Paige to come up behind me and if she had wanted to, she could've passed quite easily. She had more h.p.!!!

HOWEVER --

it didn't take long until I lost her !! (sorry Paige) .. :) I had been taking it easy on the car and I wanted to see how I would do with some pressure on my tail ...

Then, I resumed my speed and followed my correct lines and before I knew it there was no longer anyone behind me.

So -
you are right ....

but, then again,
just a wee bit more h.p.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

winddy1
06-12-2002, 06:00 PM

==================

thank you John -

you are so right !!!

seat time !!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce:

winddy1
06-12-2002, 06:14 PM

=========================

well,

I did mention a Cobra R to Tim last night and his eyes lit up ..................................................................................
:D :D

Dean was awesome with that R -

they really seem to go together well .. Dean has done an excellant job this past year.

All of you guys are good .. both Tim and I agree that your set up is impressive as well....

that is why I ask for your (plural) opinions, because you really know your stuff.

I agree with you about Griggs and MM -

The way we have it for right now will be o.k. - but we both know that eventually we will need to change things. ..

right Tom ???

hmmm, sometimes I wonder if we should've kept that '97 ....

oh well ...

We are both trying to decide whether we should just clean this one back up again and sell it ... and then get something else.

It isn't that we don't like it - me myself - I'm content...

butt - well ... the saga continues
:thumbsup: :bounce: