PDA

View Full Version : IMRC's stuck...

97Whitesnake
06-23-2002, 01:00 PM
Check engine light came on yesterday. How come it only comes on when I'm looking at it??!! Maybe if I never look at it my car will never have anymore problems! Anywho, I took the car over to Maverick's (Tom Cruise) house and hooked it up to the computer. Turns out it is the IMRC's. I started the tear down so I could take a look at them and clean them, I've heard that they can just get all gunked up and stuck. I have about 82k on the car so this is a possibility. Also, I took a look at the cables because they have been known to fail. I discovered that on of the cables has a pretty significant kink in it so I think the cable is probably the problem.
Has anyone had to replace any of these parts and have any input? Alos, it could be the control box for the IMRC's as well. What can I expect my Ford dealer to charge for these parts (cables and control box)? Its Sunday so thier not open and I'm trying to lay out a plan of action to take car of this on the next free weekend I have. Basically, I want to have everything I might need before I take the entire intake off.
One more thing. A couple of guys on the Corral said that they just used fuel injector cleaner directly into the the TB at 3250rpms for ten seconds to clean their IMRC's? I think that's a lot of junk to be puting thru the engine, what do you guy's think?
Sorry so long...

poolman
06-24-2002, 12:18 PM
Thomas

I had the IMRC control box fail at about 25K miles... must have been all those excusions above 3500 rpm...

The new box with cables was about $150 or so from my Ford Dealer... I get garage discount, in there all the time. Built the guy a pool.

The install is not too bad if you have some mechanical ability, lots of stuff come off to get to the lower manifold. If you do the install and don't have access to Service manual, I can fax instructs to you.

While I had the manifolds off, I got the Paul's High Performance manifolds and IMRC delete kit.... still had to buy a new control box though. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
06-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Don't forget our discount at McCarville Ford. they ship directly to your house at the mechanic's rate. Check the website for more information in the vendor section. Good Luck!