PDA

View Full Version : Stripped pinion shaft retaining bolt!

Calvin_1976
06-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Ahhhh! Stripped the head of the bolt and there is no getting it out with the tools I have. Looks like I am downgraded to my dads 86 Sentra until my mechanic friend gets home.

Mrs. Banana
06-30-2002, 10:44 PM
98banana here...

I think that thing has locktight from the factory, but a pair of needle nose vice grips should do the trick. I think. :eek:

Calvin_1976
06-30-2002, 11:24 PM
Nope I tried that right after it stripped. I have three options wait for a few days until my buddy gets back from his parents, remove the entire rear end and take it to a shop or find a shop that will send someone onsite. Tomorrow I am going to try and order a new retaining bolt and make up my mind. Anyone want to start a pool to see how many days the HOA waits to start harassing me? :(

Calvin_1976
07-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Bought the bolt now if I can just get the damn thing out! $2.80 can ruin your day!

Calvin_1976
07-02-2002, 09:31 PM
I finally got the car back together enough to goto a shop. I just dont have the tools, experience, or facilities to tackle this right now. That and my neighbor is selling his house and I hate to have the car out like that when he is showing the house. Hopefully tomorrow I can say its back and good as new. :bounce:

Since I havent curb checked it and the guy at the shop says speed bumps shouldnt do it I am almost ready to bet it was bent slightly when i bought it. I never noticed it at all until I put the wheel spacers in the rear.