PDA

View Full Version : a frightening noise

temjin9876
07-02-2002, 05:40 PM
a month or two before my engine blew from unknown reasons, at startup, it would make a "whoosh whoosh whoosh" noise when it was from a cold start. My mechanic, who sometimes talks a little fast for me gave me a quick explanation for it a while back (I am a bit new to engine internals) ;he said something about lifters???

anywho, it has started making that noise again and am wondering if anyone can put my mind to rest about this

if you need me to, I can go record it for who is interested

thanx

temjin9876
07-03-2002, 01:03 AM
by the way, when starting the car, you know how it shoots to about 2500 rpms and settles to an idle? the ssshhh, ssshhh, sshhhhh happens when it is shooting up to 2500 rpms and the sound dies immediately after it begins to settle

I am sweating bullets everytime I start that car. Getting that new engine was a NIGHTMARE

please help me folks, you always do!

:hail:

temjin9876
07-06-2002, 07:39 PM
has anyone had any problems with oil getting to the valves at startup...I am thinking maybe the sound is because of this

cobrabitn
07-06-2002, 11:55 PM
I have not had any of these problems on my 99 Cobra.

ballistic
07-07-2002, 02:47 AM
I have a rattle that occurs at the moment you are talking about but I am installing a accusump to preoil the engine before starting this should stop the rattle

blown92gt
07-11-2002, 04:18 PM
What does your oil press look like when you start up the car. Does the car sit for long periods of time. If it does it could be your lifters just pumping up. After the car has idled for a minute or so does the sound go away. Does the car ever cut out when your driving . Did you burn the bearings up in the old motor. Did you use the same oil pump. If you did burn the bearings up on the old motor and your oil press isn't very good I wouldn't drive it again until you put in a new oil pump.

blown92gt
07-11-2002, 04:27 PM
I would call the guy that took the motor out and find out what was wrong with the last motor if its making the same noise. Did he rebuild your motor and use the same lifters, oil pump, etc. Alot of places will reuse parts from the old motor. After your mechanic tells you what he thought was wrong I would call a couple tech guys, like Keith Craft,(sells motors in Muscle Mustangs) and ask if what happened to the last motor makes sense. Hopefully you had a honest mechanic and didn't get burned.

temjin9876
07-11-2002, 06:00 PM
you wanna know what it was......

do you really........

i have to be one of the biggest dumbasses in the world for this one.

The engine was VERY low on oil....makes me wonder how my other engine blew up. :)

I had to add about 3 quarts to put it in safe range. But the new question arises..why is my engine burning off so much oil?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

blown92gt
07-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Does your car blue smoke (whiteish-blue) when you start it or get on it. If it does only when you start it your valve seals could be bad which would let some get in the cylinder while it sits. If it does it all the time it could be your rings, or valve seals. One way to check if its your rings is to do a compression check or even better a leakdown test. If it does not smoke at all then check for leaks and check your rear main seal, sometimes these only leak when you are driving and may not leak on the ground, but you will have oil on the back of your oil pan and most likely all over your bellhousing or tranny. Or you may be running to thin of oil. If your car is mostly stock (motor) then you should run the weight the manufactor recomends. If your not running a synthetic try running one (royal purple is what i run) they tend to not break down as much.

blown92gt
07-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Black smoke is just excess fuel

temjin9876
07-11-2002, 07:44 PM
i don't mean that....i mean why does my oil level diminish to such dangerous levels...I use only 5W-30 Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil

My roommate's 96 cobra does something similar but we discovered that his oil filter housing is cracked and leaking. Meanwhile my engine isn't leaking?

what gives

blown92gt
07-12-2002, 12:40 AM
Like I said, if your car is burning oil, you will lose oil. A car will burn some internally anyways but not 3 quarts worth. I would say with confidence that if your car is not leaking any oil at all your rings or valve seals could be bad. But if it does not smoke then I would change the oil and carry a few extra quarts and check it often and see if it changes. When you have it changed check the dip stick after its done. I have heard and seen oil changeing places put to much or not enough oil into cars.

temjin9876
07-12-2002, 05:10 PM
to answer your question,

yes my car blows out that white colored smoke at startup but only when I hear that sound. When I left work today, I heard the sound very lightly then noticed it blow out the back. I just checked my oil and it has decreased noticably but is stillin the safe range....however the oil has turned blacker

I don't know what is going on. On Monday I will get my mechanic to inspect it and I will ask about the rings and valve seals.